Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
46 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Kilties - is there anywhere I can find out how many hours of sunshine my postcode gets? Or how many wet days on average etc? I'm sure I once found a site that gave info like that.

Not sure if there will be a station near you but this is where I got the stats for here 

flooded-railway-line.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

UK climate averages

• Like 6

Posted
46 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Kilties - is there anywhere I can find out how many hours of sunshine my postcode gets? Or how many wet days on average etc? I'm sure I once found a site that gave info like that.

Maybe not exactly what you want but the link below gives the data for your nearest Met Office Station:

flooded-railway-line.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

UK climate averages

Can't remember exactly where you moved to but maybe Galashiels or Charterhall would be closest? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
48 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Are you living in hope or dread?   You sure you've made the right move? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Can't remember exactly where you moved to but maybe Galashiels or Charterhall would be closest? 

I think Gala would be nearest. ty.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Blitzen said:

Are you living in hope or dread?   You sure you've made the right move? 

It has never stopped bloody raining since we got here!

Posted

Another dreich damp day with temperature about 5 c all day .Steady rain moved in off the Firth a couple of hours ago and will just make ground conditions worse than ever.Notice on the radar that there is a lot of sleet and high ground snow about this evening.How I wish it would snow at our level at least it would be cleaner than all this mud.

• Like 6

Posted

Another night of heavy rainfall with areas now flooded that we only see once in every 20 years or so .Most of side roads have deep flooding where dips occur. This photo shows  new pond next to farm road and a rough ground area where only a week ago calves were sheltering .005.thumb.JPG.5dc433aaec1ad6f27147d4e632656cb3.JPG006.thumb.JPG.c0ae68ae2de193e7df43f091d7234d63.JPGThey would have been drowned this morning. There is an 8 inch tile drain under this pond going full bore into wood half a mile away which is totally overwhelmed. Remember too we are very lucky we are at the top of a hill areas lower down near the A96 must be much worse. The only positive from this  is that I remember over the years quite often cold frosty snowy weather would arrive after an intense period of cold rain.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all.

Yuk!  just about describes it.   The only saving grace I suppose is that we managed to escape the heavy rain encountered further north.   7.6mm.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I think it might actually have stopped raining.. for how long who knows.. forecast dont look good..

• Like 3

Posted

47648E3B-D2DB-4584-8993-DFA5745EDBB9.thumb.png.49f50ee9ab3e1af4e86e4bfb94393039.png5DD5E9D8-9944-4200-A8E8-29C6D1EC76B7.thumb.png.d8f64ab0c4dea155388b0884638fe826.png20FC88A2-666D-438B-8DE9-8F71F951C4AE.thumb.png.e381b0ec51459da2507e8594b52f7ef9.png image.thumb.gif.68045271b5c16b096b957c5e2477f254.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Another night of heavy rainfall with areas now flooded that we only see once in every 20 years or so .Most of side roads have deep flooding where dips occur. This photo shows  new pond next to farm road and a rough ground area where only a week ago calves were sheltering .005.thumb.JPG.5dc433aaec1ad6f27147d4e632656cb3.JPG006.thumb.JPG.c0ae68ae2de193e7df43f091d7234d63.JPGThey would have been drowned this morning. There is an 8 inch tile drain under this pond going full bore into wood half a mile away which is totally overwhelmed. Remember too we are very lucky we are at the top of a hill areas lower down near the A96 must be much worse. The only positive from this  is that I remember over the years quite often cold frosty snowy weather would arrive after an intense period of cold rain.

Its been wet up here but nowhere near as wet as your area even nearer to us its been a lot wetter around Bonar Bridge and Ardgay than here, only about 5mm last night, milder too at 5.8c

• Like 6

Posted
59 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

47648E3B-D2DB-4584-8993-DFA5745EDBB9.thumb.png.49f50ee9ab3e1af4e86e4bfb94393039.png5DD5E9D8-9944-4200-A8E8-29C6D1EC76B7.thumb.png.d8f64ab0c4dea155388b0884638fe826.png20FC88A2-666D-438B-8DE9-8F71F951C4AE.thumb.png.e381b0ec51459da2507e8594b52f7ef9.png image.thumb.gif.68045271b5c16b096b957c5e2477f254.gif

I couldn't give a pie or a bovril about the football but those ensembles look tasty!   (and so does Robert Redford of course!)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
On 07/12/2020 at 12:34, Quinach said:

Permagloom™

Such an excellent word. Sums the majority of our weather up perfectly

Meanwhile, at home.....going, going......

P1220089.thumb.jpg.3f86e917800b2d4d58eaa18c21e9bd13.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Wow Catch! Gilston was just over the road from the last hoose and lookat the rainfall !    So far it hasn't been exactly Provence here but I now have renewed hope, ta vm!

• Like 2

Posted

UNLESS.

Gawd has got it in for us and the weather followed us....

Posted

I’ll likely stick to posting my thoughts in here as the model thread gets panicky far too easily and too many who fail to look at the big picture, currently I would say it’s a bit like building a puzzle / Lego we have all the pieces and are getting ready to start the build (finished puzzle / Lego would be cold and snow in our gardens) , I’m looking for the type of charts I’ve been posting (mega cold coming west from Siberia) to be in the 10 day range by this weekend (12th/13th so that would be charts for the 22nd/23rd as the ones to keep an eye on) still ages to go before any excitement and we have seen that things can go wrong easily when it comes to getting colder weather but I’m one that likes to go into things with a positive outlook rather than assuming it will automatically fail (like some do in the mod thread) as I mentioned before there’s just a feeling I have that something could be lurking for us this time round and the flooding reports are interesting too I believe that happened in November / December 2009? 

NEWS.BBC.CO.UK
1200px-November_2009_Great_Britain_and_I
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Which was then followed by a colder winter. 
25438A12-2508-4E5B-A87B-58ADC4C3DEC2.thumb.jpeg.5d5c454abfbb973717855bea586db98d.jpeg 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Damp and dull day unfortunately, a complete contrast to the crisp sunshine of yesterday. So that didn't take long to balance out then.

Minimum temperature today was 1.9deg.C at midnight, maximum temperature was 6.4deg.C at 13:56, humidity now 93%, wind between 0 and 8mph south-southwesterly, pressure 1002.2hPa rising quickly, 4.4mm of rain so far today although dry throughout daylight hours and the dew point here is currently 4deg.C.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Roughly 40mm of rain here in the last 2 days so it's felt unrelentingly wet. I couldn't see the river Don as I crossed it on my way home, but it was running very fast and high this morning. Just staying within its banks. 

@Kirkcaldy WeatherKeeping an eye on the models myself, there's no consistency but I have a sneaky suspicion we might see some more interesting weather just before Xmas. If not then I'd be disappointed not to see at least some snow between Xmas and New Year. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Wow Catch! Gilston was just over the road from the last hoose and lookat the rainfall !    So far it hasn't been exactly Provence here but I now have renewed hope, ta vm!

F85939DA-2C47-4D79-80A9-AE1D98D43F7A.thumb.png.cc8c04829248135a326ee815c27ee52c.png

Been pretty dry here the last few days (not totally surprisingly  given wind direction) but the year as a whole has been pretty wet compared to those in the East 

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

In the meantime here's part of the "Ethnic" aisle in the local supermarket:

20201208_115752.thumb.jpg.d5a9a1dfc2158efcc5f47c75385a51e9.jpg

I'll take a galaxy, a Turkish delight and a bag of the sea salted crisps

• Like 3