Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Side said:

That storm last night must have caused a power surge. My tv is broken along with house alarm and virgin box .

apparently a tree in a neighbours garden also got struck and split.

Shame it didn't deal with that laminate floor tree out my back 

Posted
36 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Shame it didn't deal with that laminate floor tree out my back 

I was wondering if the lightning had saved you a job 

Blue skies overhead in Banchory after some torrential rain this morning, although according to Wunderground's weather radar I'm sitting under a rain shower right now?

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Sorry to hear that  It was quite the storm! I saw reports on line of a house in Craigentinny taking a direct hit - whole roof on fire! Also reports, but not confirmed, of a house in Currie taking a hit too. 

No worries thanks, hopefully house insurance will take care of it.

I heard that a house nearby had the electricity surge in and lift their flooring before hitting the Christmas tree and exploding the metal star on top.

Edited by Polar Side
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Appear to have missed out on the storm event here then.   Unless i slept through it?  Saying that, the pumping system we had to install in the garden after that huge storm in August(?) is pumping away today.   The water table must be quite high, as there is no water to be seen lying on the surface.  Which means that the pumping system is working effectively thank goodness!  It was no easy task getting rid of 4ft of water within a stone walled garden!

Picture below is quite deceiving actually,  as skies are dark and leaden looking in the opposite direction.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The CAPE charts that I posted last night that’s one ingredient and I posted this in the model thread yesterday but the SST also will help the convection develop current sea temps here 8D80C270-0C33-47CE-803B-094F42843A4C.thumb.jpeg.959b2ac1a00ae44f27a10de4f9f237c5.jpeg 850hpa temps last night were -2 so that’s around an 11 degree temp difference, as I’ve said more than once now I’m positive there’s something going on with the Firth of Forth there has to be with the amount of convection / storms over the last few years topped off by those supercells in August, I’m not exactly sure what but definitely it is increasing the storm development, I’m just really interested to see if we can get the proper cold 850s from the east surely it will be

Monday / Tuesday to give another snow chance hmm looks pretty similar to a few nights ago again probably quite marginal but maybe some surprises 378D8BCC-2304-42F9-985C-AC644AD42C46.thumb.png.2842dbea30da46a11b271d0b3151f27e.png680BC201-D493-44C2-91DD-065ACA3B1054.thumb.png.02df80a373569a5aa2ef08cb3c07a2b0.png3E704F05-E4C3-4339-AE67-8A2E427370E6.thumb.png.d4338cf858cb1dba8cdfb513762ff4b9.pngB6CF1CC5-06B4-4C58-B491-F427CDD007F0.thumb.png.008b4c36d6b899e0adc7af91bba5890f.png548F75C6-86B4-4C69-BE7E-45014E543E24.thumb.png.04ca53c713a3ca5750d02a3d71aa4983.png

I’m intrigued with the development of the downpours we’re having in Edinburgh this aft , they seem to develop really late , also the storms in August developed right over Edinburgh / forth and then headed north ,

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
18 minutes ago, johndunnhawthorn said:

I’m intrigued with the development of the downpours we’re having in Edinburgh this aft , they seem to develop really late , also the storms in August developed right over Edinburgh / forth and then headed north ,

I've worked down on one of the jetties on the forth for 15 years now and although squalls / streamers are very common I have not seen the SST this high before at the start of winter, a bit bizzare 

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The CAPE charts that I posted last night that’s one ingredient and I posted this in the model thread yesterday but the SST also will help the convection develop current sea temps here 8D80C270-0C33-47CE-803B-094F42843A4C.thumb.jpeg.959b2ac1a00ae44f27a10de4f9f237c5.jpeg 850hpa temps last night were -2 so that’s around an 11 degree temp difference, as I’ve said more than once now I’m positive there’s something going on with the Firth of Forth there has to be with the amount of convection / storms over the last few years topped off by those supercells in August, I’m not exactly sure what but definitely it is increasing the storm development, I’m just really interested to see if we can get the proper cold 850s from the east surely it will be

Monday / Tuesday to give another snow chance hmm looks pretty similar to a few nights ago again probably quite marginal but maybe some surprises 378D8BCC-2304-42F9-985C-AC644AD42C46.thumb.png.2842dbea30da46a11b271d0b3151f27e.png680BC201-D493-44C2-91DD-065ACA3B1054.thumb.png.02df80a373569a5aa2ef08cb3c07a2b0.png3E704F05-E4C3-4339-AE67-8A2E427370E6.thumb.png.d4338cf858cb1dba8cdfb513762ff4b9.pngB6CF1CC5-06B4-4C58-B491-F427CDD007F0.thumb.png.008b4c36d6b899e0adc7af91bba5890f.png548F75C6-86B4-4C69-BE7E-45014E543E24.thumb.png.04ca53c713a3ca5750d02a3d71aa4983.png

Completely unscientifically, I've wondered if the Queensferry Crossing has anything to do with the increase in local thunderstorms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The rain cleared away mid morning and is been a decent day since. Temp currently 4.7C after a high of 5.1C. Nothing much more to say than that. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Completely unscientifically, I've wondered if the Queensferry Crossing has anything to do with the increase in local thunderstorms. 

The average Max temp for December SST for the forth is 11 degc, as off today we are just shy of 12 degc, may go for a swim later ?‍♂️ not sure a bridge can cause any type of weather phenomena but happy to be proved wrong. More likely to be an effect from the yearly gulf stream perhaps? 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ghoneym said:

The average Max temp for December SST for the forth is 11 degc, as off today we are just shy of 12 degc, may go for a swim later ?‍♂️ not sure a bridge can cause any type of weather phenomena but happy to be proved wrong. More likely to be an effect from the yearly gulf stream perhaps? 

I can't really see how a bridge can have such an effect either. It's just the coincidence of it's construction, with Edinburgh going from being rubbish for thunderstorms, to having some spectacular ones.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Aphelion said:

I can't really see how a bridge can have such an effect either. It's just the coincidence of it's construction, with Edinburgh going from being rubbish for thunderstorms, to having some spectacular ones.

Here is my craziest theory. This year we are seeing a la nina pattern and the thermoclyne looks a tad strange to me, the sea surface temperature anomoly in the 40-60N latitudes in the Pacific are high/warm. Qwith the lack of sea ice in the Arctic, particularly around the bearing Sea, I think the warm waters have had a free run through the bearing sea for quite some time this year and are running down through scandi into the North Sea, hence the warmer SST'S here.

Screenshot_20201205_144353_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d2ce6ebebb02e61d52f6f0ad7ae1fae1.jpg

Probably garbage but its the best I could come up with ??‍♂️

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, johndunnhawthorn said:

What I do know is I help coach my lads football and I just stood out in a raging hail storm at portobello high school ! Literally was blue sky over the firth and bright behind us but there was just this thin strip of coal black cloud that just came east to west the whole time , was so dark they had to turn the floodlights on at 2pm ! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

What I do know is I help coach my lads football and I just stood out in a raging hail storm at portobello high school ! Literally was blue sky over the firth and bright behind us but there was just this thin strip of coal black cloud that just came east to west the whole time , was so dark they had to turn the floodlights on at 2pm ! 

Embra City 4-1 up, after 25 minutes... Maybe down to the thundersnow?!⚡

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Had the heavy thundery showers last night but today has been pretty much blue skies all day until just recently. Temps got up to 6C which felt quite warm in the sun. Our local little burn still running quite high and brown after all the recent rain. 

41165CBF-9E08-4D56-810A-40CA734ED239.jpeg

FBC5B74E-6896-4FD6-B3B7-91D856697C8A.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Aphelion said:

There certainly have been more spectacular thunderstorms in the last couple of years. The last couple of days though probably down the very unusual synoptics with that low sinking the way it did from around Iceland then swivelling around to our South bringing the cold air in over a very mild North Sea. Anyway nice to see them. Pity it didn't bring some of the recent weather over Iceland to us too though it did try for a bit!

• Like 4

Posted

Showery day in the East Neuk, with a couple of beefy ones. Still raining at the moment, 5.2c. Max was 7c.

• Like 5

Posted

Dubious pleasure of heading through to Inverness in the small hours today (referring to the journey rather than the city before torch wielding Invernessians come looking for me).

Heavy rain all the way and lots of flooding on the road, still some sad looking piles of snow to be found next to the road around Lumsden and Rhynie.

Return in the afternoon different story with even some sunshine trying to poke through at dusk and all the surface water gone - rivers in full spate though.

Temperature max of around 5c and light winds.

Snag_138bd8.thumb.png.a34e3626bf10eeec8b7e8c3af1c6fad1.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Just imagine those levels of upper air temps coming over the North Sea

Sadly I can all to vividly remember rain with North Sea 850's of -8c  

Loads of potential in the charts though! I'm just happy that it appears to have stopped raining

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted

Dry above this morning dull and 5c. After almost 48 hours rain ground conditions are awful, really need a few dry frosty sunny days like last Thursday.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Very still here this morning with patchy, thin high cloud.   Temp:4.5c   and NO rain over the last 24hrs!

(I see that being put to rights from 6pm tomorrow 'till 9pm Tuesday though!)

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Certainly catching my eye atm few runs going for that idea of those seriously cold upper air temps coming west from Siberia which I said was something I was looking out for  5AC01B79-AA83-4E20-B71D-1DCEFD54E576.thumb.png.674e7393eea3236f1fffd08de88695b3.pngEA36B3AB-1FDA-44AB-B5F4-A39CEFFCDC02.thumb.png.da375b39a262cc25b55e233244d14400.png the predicted temps associated with that kind of cold air are mind blowing 8A6EC03D-6A01-4BEB-8BA8-DB250C95D197.thumb.png.c2ebc7fa2be056057d73dcee56050afc.png  at this stage it’s still not more than one of many possible pattern outcomes and that is at the extreme end of upper air but maybe an interesting model watching spell for the run up to Christmas? ⛄

• Like 9