Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Torrential overnight rain has eased  but lots of minor flooding .Currently showery 6c and dull

Posted

Well, delighted to see so many having some of the white stuff, right at the beginning of winter.

Business as usual here though - torrential rain that woke me up, rather than Thundersnow... hey ho

Tim

• Like 6

Posted

Any snow we had has virtually gone with that burst of rain we had a hour ago. Never heard any of the thundersnow last night (not even sure if it snowed TBH) looks like another big dollop of rain is not that far away

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Torrential rain with  some hail mixed in over Edinburgh just now, crazy weather!

It's a horror show out there now! Always a price to be paid I guess and it was fun while it lasted 

• Like 4

Posted

Temp has gone up a fair bit since this morning. You leave EK and drive into Glasgow earlier on and no snow lying yet Lanarkshire at a standstill and it was still snowing but slowly turned to rain. This was a fairly large band of rain that spread from the East this morning. Was looking to see if this was a Warm Front or a Trough. The Trough would have seemed more likely due to embedded Cumulonimbus that caused Thundersnow in places. But Met Office surface pressure showed Warm Front symbols with the low to the South.  But I think BBC showed different.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
9 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Temp has gone up a fair bit since this morning. You leave EK and drive into Glasgow earlier on and no snow lying yet Lanarkshire at a standstill and it was still snowing but slowly turned to rain. This was a fairly large band of rain that spread from the East this morning. Was looking to see if this was a Warm Front or a Trough. The Trough would have seemed more likely due to embedded Cumulonimbus that caused Thundersnow in places. But Met Office surface pressure showed Warm Front symbols with the low to the South.  But I think BBC showed different.

Very interesting I’m wondering if it was due to the triple point that also helped the thundersnow develop image.thumb.gif.ae4029d2b40a9347c2d2850bdd32f750.gif https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/530/

Can see that area of CAPE that was around at that time 53CDB20C-499E-4E23-904C-87BA3A088045.thumb.png.a74e620264bb31da12331561d729b7c5.png

looks like more will develop in the North Sea later today and through tomorrow so more chances for thunder image.thumb.gif.8a4b737a3ddf3ddde2a6f3b44fd1d916.gif

• Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Very interesting I’m wondering if it was due to the triple point that also helped the thundersnow develop image.thumb.gif.ae4029d2b40a9347c2d2850bdd32f750.gif https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/530/

Can see that area of CAPE that was around at that time 53CDB20C-499E-4E23-904C-87BA3A088045.thumb.png.a74e620264bb31da12331561d729b7c5.png

looks like more will develop in the North Sea later today and through tomorrow so more chances for thunder image.thumb.gif.8a4b737a3ddf3ddde2a6f3b44fd1d916.gif

Yeh that could have been the reason for your Thundersnow. However the rainfall radar didn’t show much in the way of red this morning within the rainband where any lightning activity was. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy rain with lots of surface water on the roads. 5.8C
Jealous of those that got thundersnow last night not too far away from here as the crow flies. I can however report thundersleet for this location

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
7 hours ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Imagine this event had remained as snow we would have been digging ourselves out later ❄️

I certainly would have been since it has rained all day.

Surprisingly we still have a fair amount of heavy, sodden snow lying around the house and in the area. Son says the dog walker reported around a foot of snow at the top of the hill behind our house, and he went for a run around half way up in a good few inches. 

Even had to clear the driveway earlier as we hadn't bothered this morning since I expected it all to thaw given the forecast. 

• Like 6

Posted

Short snowy video 

and the thundersnow, rumble at the start but main bit at 6:55 with the flashes and the thunder (the one before I started recording I didn’t catch as I had tried to sleep was a proper shotgun rumble). ? 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

Heavy rain with lots of surface water on the roads. 5.8C
Jealous of those that got thundersnow last night not too far away from here as the crow flies. I can however report thundersleet for this location

Thundersleet is it? You were lucky. All we got here was fart-slush, which believe me is every bit as unwelcome as it sounds.

Temperature now 4.7deg.C down from a maximum today of 5.3deg.C at 15:15, humidity 93%, wind 11 to 15mph northwesterly with a maximum gust of 22mph half an hour ago, pressure 986.3hPa rising quickly, rain today totals 10.2mm so far and the dew point has risen to 4deg.C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

hee haw here as per, Tiny Tim and I would be aswell in crail for all the snow we see here and when @101_Northis posting epic pics and thundersnow in irvine it really does feel like the big man is trolling me  

Some great pics, off to the model thread to see if any excitement awaits us soon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some very heavy rain here this evening at 5.3C. Nice to see that it is still heavy snow at road level at Glenshee. Hope that they can come to some compromise that lets the ski areas open if the snow is good enough, otherwise they will be in big trouble financially.

8DBE2B12-940E-4E14-A069-5BDF1206B7D0.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Just in from a trip to Newbridge, roads are lethal with so much standing water. Would have been quicker in a sail boat doon the M9. Big contrast to this morning over towards Livi. 

Lightning strike alert we have just started pinging strikes near Auchengarry. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a big flash of lightning and a loud extended clap of thunder. The third night in a row that I have heard thunder. Very unusual for this time of year or indeed any time if year. Still raining away at 5C.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
29 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Just had a big flash of lightning and a loud extended clap of thunder. The third night in a row that I have heard thunder. Very unusual for this time of year or indeed any time if year. Still raining away at 5C.

Yes! Seen a few flashes out my back door facing East and couple of rumbly bangs, don't think I've experienced that at this time of year before 

• Like 5

Posted

Couple of big flashes and booms here too ?

• Like 5

Posted

More quite close by in the last couple of minutes. Enough noise to make the cat jump though she is not normally particularly bothered by thunder or fireworks.

• Like 4

Posted

There was a flash or two of lightning and thunder here in the past hour too. Also a fair bit of flooding locally with a few road closures. Sadly inevitable with a rapid thaw and torrential rain! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3