Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

Every winter she does it! Without fail  Jumps in the car without clearing the windscreen, turns on the iced up wipers and boof! Rubber stripped and connector broken! Given the weather forecast for tomorrow morning there's no choice except an evening trip to Halfords to pay through the nose for something that I could get online for less than half the price!   

I finished reading this then popped outside to see Mr Snowidea who was defrosting the car so I could drive to Tesco, only to find him holding the drivers side wiper blade in his hand. So not just a female thing @101_North

Posted
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Damn. +0.6c here. 

+0.8°C here right now and max of 2.5°C this afternoon. These measurements have satisfied me that the weather station is accurate and not recording multiple fake air frosts for sure! 

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, Norrance said:

Here is a link to Pauls explanation of dewpoint in the learning area. Hope that helps a bit. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/learning/basics/dewpoint-r81/?do=getNewComment&d=1&id=81
There are many other subjects in the learning area that may also be of use. Our expert on wet bulb and its importance for snow to fall in the Regional thread is @Hawsey 

edit. See that I was beaten to it. There are very helpful people in this thread.

Thanks bud, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Will give it a thorough read

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Current temp:  -1.9c   DP  -2.3c   Pressure =983mb Precipitation looking good out east.   I think?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Oh boy it’s that time again, first lamp post watching evening of the season!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

My misguided thinking or there's more snow in this than we think ? It's frosty here but just a few miles east we have ppn. Sat pic @ 21:30. 

1859.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Been tracking that too and thinking the same BFT.   Don't know the 850's tho'.   Do you?   I think

I'm right in saying that warm air pockets in the 850's can scupper the precipitation type?   If the upper air is conducive, looks like a direct hit for east/east central and southern Scotland?

Don't get too excited yet Mardatha,  I've only been on here 16 years  so  I'm probably wrong! 

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well that was a right waist of time... as soon as precipitation arrived it was rain not even a hint of anything else..

Posted

Weather on the change, some cloud now and a slight breeze has started.

Temperature rising as well, hit a low of -5.3c at 20:20 going by the weather station - now a "balmy" -4.1c.

• Like 5

Posted

I sneaked a peek at the 850s and they don't look cold enough to me.  May start off with a bit of wet snow/sleet but looks as if it will turn to rain quite soon afterwards?

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

27F  after a maximum of 36F this afternoon  with frost lying in shade all day here so looks as though there will some very icy surfaces in the night when the rain starts. Doing a bit of reminiscing tonight so thought I would go back to school days  farenhight. One of those farmers who can"t give up acres either.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Omg LomondSnowstorm typing can it be, also I’ve been sitting quiet but I’m at 1.5 C / -1.9 DP

• Like 2

Posted

Light snow just starting here as the ppn starts to move in! How long will it last though?

Edit: About 2 minutes was the answer. Nothing falling now despite the radar. Not sure I have the energy to wait it out for the heavier stuff to move in!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

@101_North image.thumb.gif.a213042db1ff97bc373b7232ab85f7d8.gif 

@LomondSnowstorm great to have you back on here, were u in Fife for those supercells on the 11th /12th August? You have any thoughts for this winter? I’m actually liking the big blocking high to the east as I mentioned think that was a big factor in 62/63 and probably other cold winters, also some interest possibly gearing up in the strat so we can have a snowy one especially now u have returned

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@101_North image.thumb.gif.a213042db1ff97bc373b7232ab85f7d8.gif 

@LomondSnowstorm great to have you back on here, were u in Fife for those supercells on the 11th /12th August? You have any thoughts for this winter? I’m actually liking the big blocking high to the east as I mentioned think that was a big factor in 62/63 and probably other cold winters, also some interest possibly gearing up in the strat so we can have a snowy one especially now u have returned

Cheers! I was - never seen a storm like it! Glenrothes Airport ended up with over 100mm in 12 hours! I think the level of intensity we're seeing with convection now makes it pretty tough to forecast - even last night seemed more intense than equivalent sorts of set ups, although this is an unusually deep low.

I did have a wee look at doing a winter forecast but didn't properly have time, provisionally I think it's shaping up quite well though - certainly some promising signs for the next few weeks with the signals for blocking and vortex weakening (at least last time I looked at the charts properly at that range).

• Like 7

Posted

Yessss snowingggg Big flakes and a quick dusting already 

• Like 7