Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Could someone be kind enough to explain the relationship between dewpoint,temp and snow please? I understand pretty well other concepts like the ensembles, synoptics, el/la nina/nine, SSW,MJO,NAO etc. I just cant seem to get my head round it. It's like a block (no pun intended lol).  I've tried google and things but like I said it's like a total block on the concept for me.  Thanks so much if anyone can help.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Everything here is still frozen and the council have been up our little lane and gritted it.. apparently that never normally happens... so rain it will be, suspect the grit is to stop the rain freezing when it hits the frozen road surface...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
23 minutes ago, jmp223420 said:

Could someone be kind enough to explain the relationship between dewpoint,temp and snow please? I understand pretty well other concepts like the ensembles, synoptics, el/la nina/nine, SSW,MJO,NAO etc. I just cant seem to get my head round it. It's like a block (no pun intended lol).  I've tried google and things but like I said it's like a total block on the concept for me.  Thanks so much if anyone can help.

I’ll try a basic explanation. Usually 850 hpa temps -5 will start to turn the precip wintry (sleet at lower levels wet snow in heavier bursts and can be snow higher up) -8 850hpa usually the go to for snow even to lower levels and of course anything below that is even better snow insurance so to speak (BFTE was around -16 which is at the extreme end) but the key is the dewpoint  as I mentioned I always say my rhyme to remind me not to get my hopes up unless it is below that “if it ain’t zero or below you ain’t getting snow” that’s likely to be the main issue overnight and tomorrow along with the 850 hpa going from around -4 to -2

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, jmp223420 said:

Hope this helps

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
33 minutes ago, jmp223420 said:

Here is a link to Pauls explanation of dewpoint in the learning area. Hope that helps a bit. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/learning/basics/dewpoint-r81/?do=getNewComment&d=1&id=81
There are many other subjects in the learning area that may also be of use. Our expert on wet bulb and its importance for snow to fall in the Regional thread is @Hawsey 

edit. See that I was beaten to it. There are very helpful people in this thread.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

We will see, I'm no buying it til / if my dew point is at or below zero

• Like 6

Posted

Bitterly cold day with temp staying around 1c! Snowfall is hanging on and in most places is still frozen solid. Shame it won't last but great to see!

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

"Milder air returns from the east"

You have to laugh or you would cry otherwise!

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Milder from the east....  @mountain shadow beat me to it..

Edited by Mair Snaw

Posted

I get the impression that further west might be best overnight! For us east coasters it looks like it could be a pretty quick transition to pish! Lovely rain warning for early tomorrow onwards just to completely kill my early winter buzz 

• Like 1

Posted

Temperature plunging just now, already -3.3c a drop of over 2c in a hour.  Overnight low is going to be interesting before the milder crud arrives.

• Like 9

Posted

Already -2c here and the BBC had my overnight low as 1c so fingers crossed it might be white for a while and enough to take kids out in it before bed time..

• Like 2

Posted

Every winter she does it! Without fail  Jumps in the car without clearing the windscreen, turns on the iced up wipers and boof! Rubber stripped and connector broken! Given the weather forecast for tomorrow morning there's no choice except an evening trip to Halfords to pay through the nose for something that I could get online for less than half the price!   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
42 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Every winter she does it! Without fail  Jumps in the car without clearing the windscreen, turns on the iced up wipers and boof! Rubber stripped and connector broken! Given the weather forecast for tomorrow morning there's no choice except an evening trip to Halfords to pay through the nose for something that I could get online for less than half the price!   

Personally speaking...I've NEVER done that!!!      (must be a woman thing?)  Here's a man thing for all you 'perfect' men out there!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Personally speaking...I've NEVER done that!!!      (must be a woman thing?)  Here's a man thing for all you 'perfect men out there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

-1c temp.     -1.2cDP     Pressure 983mb

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

According to the chap up the road's weather station it's currently - 3.1C outside with a dewpoint of - 3.9C. It got above freezing for a bit early afternoon but there's little sign of that in my garden as the frost when I got home was thicker than when I left this morning. 

The drive to and from work yielded temps of -4 to -5C widely, with even Westhill being -3C around 9am. First time this year I've had to scrape the car again before driving home, and plenty of other evidence of persistent frost there too. 

Despite all of that I suspect it will be more of a rain event for me tomorrow. Even with my height any snow is looking very short lived. If I stay up all night looking out the window I would probably see snow, but since I like my sleep too much I'm expecting to wake up to rain, or a sleety mess. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 8

Posted

Still a tropical +1.3c here (max 4.8c). I was hoping to beat @Benvironment for the first air frost of the autumn/winter too! 

Heres our problem @Kirkcaldy Weather wet bulb/baw freezing level. You want it to be at or below 200m for snow to accumulate on low ground (very crude interpretation). 

8869568F-AA84-44CE-B1CD-251E27C42E72.gif

• Like 5

Posted

The excerpt below from ‘The Weather of Britain’ by Robin Stirling neatly explains the wet bulb/baw conundrum...

CCE76978-7F01-4F9F-8807-A4E66C661AFB.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
25 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Still a tropical +1.3c here (max 4.8c). I was hoping to beat @Benvironment for the first air frost of the autumn/winter too! 

Heres our problem @Kirkcaldy Weather wet bulb/baw freezing level. You want it to be at or below 200m for snow to accumulate on low ground (very crude interpretation). 

8869568F-AA84-44CE-B1CD-251E27C42E72.gif

We're down to -0.4C!!!!!!

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

We're down to -0.4C!!!!!!

Damn. +0.6c here. 

• Like 3