Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Bright day after another frosty night, max of 5.3c with light winds.  Glittering with frost outside just now (currently -1.1c) but looks like a thaw incoming from the west.

opp9.thumb.jpg.7e47a67f877719556d2c1990af2224b0.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Fully expect weather warnings for much of Scotland for snow lasting from late tomorow all the way through to Saturday morning, they will probably be conservative saying snow mostly confined to ground above 200 metres, but possibly some temporary covering low down - which could mean significant.

Upgrades on Thursday when it becomes clear when snow will fall and how much. Highlands likely to see significant totals, high level routes will be badly affected.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
50 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Bright day after another frosty night, max of 5.3c with light winds.  Glittering with frost outside just now (currently -1.1c) but looks like a thaw incoming from the west.

opp9.thumb.jpg.7e47a67f877719556d2c1990af2224b0.jpg

It's a real mix. Hovering at over 7C here and still no air frost this season

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
54 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Busy day today taking in last of cattle and sorting them out based on the forward forecasts.Just have to vaccinate calves for pneumonia tomorrow as still mild tonight at 7c ut cooler air later will help them acclimatise to being inside. Getting breezy tonight too so all helps to keep air movement in sheds.

Speaking to a private jet pilot again and he was saying that the brown ring of pollution seen in the earths upper atmosphere from space has almost gone again just like after 9/11. He was saying too that flying will change forever with thousands of planes mothballed on desert airfields. Governments will feel the pain from this pandemic  spead around the globe by so much air travel for decades to come. Feel there will be very few incentives for air travel in the future.

Still feel that this will nudge us in the direction of a coolish winter along with the lag from the end of the solar minimum.

I think a lot of countries depend on tourism as a huge source of income and more than ever that will be needed, families are also spread all over the world these days and have a desire to travel to see them. I am sure air travel will be dearer for a time as airlines have terminated leases of planes and there will be less flights available but slowly and surely as demand increases and money is there to be made the infrastructure will all start to fall back in place. The world will have hopefully learned though how to be more pro active than reactive when next faced with a pandemic.

plus i like my sun holidays and visiting my family in Canada so there had better be options

and hopefully planes will continue to be more efficient and less polluting .

Anyway lets focus on more positive chat and hopefully some of us see some flakes in the coming days and first pics of the season in here. Been showing the kids 2010 pics and they cant believe they are from here, the 16yr old cant remember it and the next oldest is 10 so they have seen little snow over the last few years.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago, but great to have lived through it, that was a real winter!

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Side said:

Hi folks, hopefully this winter can be more like winter compared to the last couple.

Great pics above Ben

Here is a couple of mine from 2010.

EE674E2A-A91E-4E8C-BC6A-6FE5D4AFA8EE.jpeg

966E8E34-6F6E-4402-8F60-2A50164353ED.jpeg

E056B827-42E9-4FCA-A61E-DCB71E7DA943.jpeg

Aww, the fact that they're printed photos gives them an extra 'this is how it used to be, folks' quality

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning all! Do I detect excitement mounting? Are we all getting a wee bit wound up at the thought of some white stuff falling from the sky? Yesterday's max temp here was 13c, lowest overnight was 2.3c. Now it's 5.2c and has just started raining. I doubt very much that it'll turn to anything white as I'm too near the sea and only about 50 metres ASL. Ach well, c'est la vie! Hope you guys all get a nice white covering tomorrow and the chance to make some snowmen! ⛄

I'm envious of the stunning scenes you'll have if & when the cloud lifts. Beautiful part of the world

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

If it happens Benvironment I'll take a few piccies! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Looks like a soggy sleety mess for me. Lights camera action..

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the Met Office have squeezed Currie into another warning for Friday. Good to see 2 warnings so early in the winter although I don't expect much from either of them. For Friday's system I suspect we'll be too marginal with a lot of coastal mixing as the front moves in. Frontal stuff is generally useless for here from any direction. Really looking forward to seeing the photos as some places, even a mile or 2 up the road from here could do well for a while. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Looks like the Met Office have squeezed Currie into another warning for Friday. Good to see 2 warnings so early in the winter although I don't expect much from either of them. For Friday's system I suspect we'll be too marginal with a lot of coastal mixing as the front moves in. Frontal stuff is generally useless for here from any direction. Really looking forward to seeing the photos as some places, even a mile or 2 up the road from here could do well for a while. 

Sneaked me into it as well.

Oh well, better luck next time!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I'm going to try some reverse psychology here to try and influence events.   I have (temporarily) changed my avatar.

My usual toys oota ra pram will then appear more apt when I reinstate it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all,

More chance of me seeing a polar bear strolling down the street outside my house than of there being lying snow in Pittenweem in the next 48 hours.  But it's the reality of winters in the coastal East Neuk and I'm well used to it!

Of those living local to me I fancy the chances of @Blitzen and certainly @Benvironment seeing some of the white stuff on Friday morning. @Kirkcaldy Weather and @Norrance are more of a long shot (sorry guys!).

Great 2010 photos. That winter even delivered in Crail (where I lived at the time). We'd a whopping 10cm on the ground - and I say that without any irony - that is a LOT of snow for this neck of the woods.

Good luck everyone - looking forward to the photos!

U might get both this could be you opening your door 9E6C6851-05FE-4306-B0AC-9B6092811D34.thumb.jpeg.4600f149a4d0e3087b9ba5659b5c44b5.jpeg  and cheers

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Chilly here with a fresh dusting of snow on the highest tops I reckon over 2600 feet, and snow squalls in the sky to the west.  I took this just before my one year old Border Collie Breck flattened me ( he is in bottom left corner in full charge mode)

wed 2nd dec.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
49 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

U might get both this could be you opening your door 9E6C6851-05FE-4306-B0AC-9B6092811D34.thumb.jpeg.4600f149a4d0e3087b9ba5659b5c44b5.jpeg  and cheers

I wouldn’t worry @Kirkcaldy Weather if you remember back to the days when I used to do snowfall prediction totals for individual members, me suggesting you’ll see nothing greatly increases your chances! 

• Like 7