Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I got a glut of damsons this year and made wine.  40 bottles of it - the catch is that it takes a year to lose the tannin edge and become drinkable! Aaaargh.

should be all set for next winter then..

• Like 4

Posted

So far this evening ive mostly been drinking these... while cheering on the mighty West Ham and watching the other lot play there games.

20201122_161230.jpg

20201122_165908.jpg

20201122_180047.jpg

20201122_190427.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

should be all set for next winter then..

Oh lord, have we just beaten the Mad House to discussions of next winter's potential?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
12 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Make homebrew from them.. see ya through the long dark cold winter..

Also are you aloud to have folk at ya house??

Sadly I'm not a big fan of cider. The wife is, but she's not enthusiastic enough for making her own!

Nope; only gairden visitors and random passing strangers finding themselves with a bag of apples this year!

• Like 5

Posted

Decent morning today. Chilly but an improvement over the weekend's pish! Looking forward to hopefully getting something more seasonal in the coming weeks - haven't had a frost here since the first week of October! Although at the minute I'd take a few weeks of dry, temperature irrelevant weather! The garden at the house we moved to is in dire need of some love as it's totally overgrown and neglected. There's a beautiful redwood tree which is sadly in the wrong place and has to go. A stunning tree in a park but in a suburban garden it's ridiculous. It's probably 35ft or more high at this point and the trunk (which is a beast) is less than 15ft from the back of the house. Madness. Blocks any available light to the back of the house and spoils my new view! The kids might just kill me though as they already have a den built under it and a rope swing set up. I can't, however, keep running every light in the house because of a tree! I will try and justify it by waving a utility bill at them 

• Like 7

Posted
13 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

So far this evening ive mostly been drinking these... while cheering on the mighty West Ham and watching the other lot play there games.

20201122_161230.jpg

20201122_165908.jpg

20201122_180047.jpg

20201122_190427.jpg

That Vocation is one of the best beers currently under £4 a can! The fact you can now buy quality beers like that from a supermarket is brilliant!  

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Make a feature out of the remaining stump when you have the tree removed, maybe leave 8 feet of stump on its own and fix a swing to the side of it? Happy-ish kids and some light for you and no need to spend a fortune getting the stump removed. Or find a chainsaw sculptor and turn it into a Totem Pole? 

That isn't a bad idea! hadn't though of making the stump a feature. The stump removal is almost as expensive as getting the tree taken down! Might look into this - get the kids involved! Cheers 

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad morning at all, really, if it wasn't for a post rugby disappointment hangover.

Temperature 8.0deg.C up from a minimum of 4.8deg.C at 08:36, humidity is 85%, wind 4 to 8mph generally southeasterly with a maximum gust of 13mph, pressure is 1018.2hPa falling, no rain since midnight and cloud cover is 4/8.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

That's weird 101, we both moved recently and we both have worryingly big trees overhanging the house. Mine isn't in my garden -  its over the fence but it's very tall and I'm right where it would fall if it wanted to..

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

That's weird 101, we both moved recently and we both have worryingly big trees overhanging the house. Mine isn't in my garden -  its over the fence but it's very tall and I'm right where it would fall if it wanted to..

Our tree is leaning heavily towards the neighbours - it was the first thing they mentioned! Shame they didn't follow that up with an offer to help fund it's removal 

• Like 3

Posted

Fine  breezy day here till evening when light rain started. Another  cow and  three day old calf outside for a few days as ground still dry and healthier outside until we bring the remainder in and vaccinate them. Both cow and calf behaved like they  were going out in spring racing round the field doing four legged jumps  at least two feet off the ground so they were obviously very happy to be out Might not be so happy with rain now but have super shelter  and dry ground next to  an east facing wood.

Notice the model thread ebbs and flows with the predictions of cold weather.  I just have a feeling that we will have a cooler winter due to the lag effect of the solar minimum and the lack of aircraft in the sky.No contrails at sunset is very noticeable.

Been speaking to  a private jet pilot whose company is working worldwide at 75% of normal but who said that mainsteam airlines are working at 10% of normal so 10% of 284000 aircraft in the sky  at any one time in normal times is quite a drop in the worlds atmosphere. May not be a big effect but might just tip the balance to an old fashioned winter with the cold peaking in February. Just a personal opinion

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted

Interesting article here about the effect on data feeding the models of far fewer flights than normal:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

well that will make a change from needing to have the debate at xmas that its a lack of data causing the models to misplace a cold spell

• Like 2

Posted

A rather dull grey day, and it felt cool in the wind. That was followed by a wet end to the day. Another house we have missed out on this week as we are not allowed to travel to the area due to poxy Covid... this one looked like a proper good one too... oh well keep on looking i guess..

Posted
10 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

A rather dull grey day, and it felt cool in the wind. That was followed by a wet end to the day. Another house we have missed out on this week as we are not allowed to travel to the area due to poxy Covid... this one looked like a proper good one too... oh well keep on looking i guess..

Go! I'm sure it's okay. Go anyway. I'm off to look at a farm this morning, about 10 miles north of here. More accurately, I'm off to look at part of a farm. The part my daughter and her boyfriend can't afford. However if it means that I don't have to kill myself getting to their fourth floor tenement flat in Glasgow then I'm happy to invest.

Temperature 9.9deg.C up from a minimum of 9,3deg.C at 03:57, humidity is 94%, wind is 3 to 6mph generally southerly with a gust of 18mph at 08:14, pressure is 1007.5hPa falling and it's currently raining with 17.4mm since midnight and 35.6mm in the last 24 hours.

• Like 3

Posted

@CatchMyDrift thanks for that. Will call agent and put ut to them.. we were just following what the agents were telling us. Most of the property we have found seem to be in zone 3 and us in zone 2 the agents first reaction seems to be "you cant come here from zone 2" even had one tell me under no circumstances am i to travel from England to Scotland.. she got shut down very quickly... an English accent does not define my location.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I should zip it really as assuming the flight still goes ok on Friday I'll be waking up here on Tuesday morning

https://images.app.goo.gl/tW1FRxaFuFSkFahT6

Four day flight? What on earth a you flying in? A Gypsy moth? Anyway, it looks terrible. You poor thing having to subject yourself to mountains and snow and stuff.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mair Snaw said:

@Puffy MacCloud you fancy adopting a son???

Oh yes this is a weather forum.. grey, wet and generally pish...

Emmm, naw!

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Sunrise was just an angry blob in the distance this morning:

20201124_080539.thumb.jpg.f4acf4a2d50d340b8ec0404dd49c3bb3.jpg

The breeze has blown stiffly all night here, it may just be me but it seems to have been relentlessly breezy for a while now.

I should zip it really as assuming the flight still goes ok on Friday I'll be waking up here on Tuesday morning

https://images.app.goo.gl/tW1FRxaFuFSkFahT6

Just checked my Christmas card list and cant seem to find your name on it....

Safe flight mate. Hope everything works out for you all.

• Like 2

Posted

Saturday is starting to look interesting - -4C/-5C uppers, precipitation about. Surface at 2-4C depending on height asl...  

viewimage234.png

• Like 6