Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer

Signs of a northerly starting to appear out of nowhere?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 hours ago, AFC Snow said:

Signs of a northerly starting to appear out of nowhere?

Aye, Thursday and especially Fri & Sat next week could be rather chilly. Cold enough for a flurry if there's precipitation around. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some bright intervals here today and just a couple of light showers. A cold wind though despite the temp topping 10C briefly. Now 6C.

Incidentally I don't think I can remember ever seeing as many geese flying over my house heading down towards the Tay  as there were at dusk today. Must have been at least twenty large skeins. What does it mean?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Aye, Thursday and especially Fri & Sat next week could be rather chilly. Cold enough for a flurry if there's precipitation around. 

From mwis.

Planning Outlook

Generally unsettled as a series of weather systems move across Britain from the Atlantic. Frequent upland gales, sometimes severe gales. Considerable rainfall totals over western mountains. Mild southwesterlies return early in the new week, but indications favour a colder pattern developing later next week as the prevailing airflow turns northwesterly, resulting in higher mountains being more commonly sub-zero with snowfalls at times. Don't miss our latest video content on the MWIS YouTube channel, also available at mwis.org.uk

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A bit boring here today, grey and murky, so since there's no wind or rain I guess that log chopping is the order of the day. Yes, I caught a glimpse of the forecast for later in the week so best get as much chopped as I can.  it would seem that there may be some white stuff falling from the sky, but since I'm usually disappointed whenever it is forecast I'll not bother looking out the snowshoes just yet. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I'm in a quandary; I don't approve of Amazon, never have, and I don't use them for anything, however the autumn rugby internationals are on their channel and my pal from up the road has a thing called a firestick that he is fitting to my tv at this very moment. Should I send him and his firestick home or just sit here with this vast collection of beers and see what unfolds...?

Temperature currently 9.0deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 04:29, humidity is 92%, wind is between 4 and 10mph south to southeasterly, pressure is 998.4hPa and dropping like a rock, there's been 4.8mm of rain today so far under a completely cloudy sky.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

I'm in a quandary; I don't approve of Amazon, never have, and I don't use them for anything, however the autumn rugby internationals are on their channel and my pal from up the road has a thing called a firestick that he is fitting to my tv at this very moment. Should I send him and his firestick home or just sit here with this vast collection of beers and see what unfolds...?

Temperature currently 9.0deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 04:29, humidity is 92%, wind is between 4 and 10mph south to southeasterly, pressure is 998.4hPa and dropping like a rock, there's been 4.8mm of rain today so far under a completely cloudy sky.

Ah, Amazon? 

Well then; if, like moi, you're built like an afterthought to the brick sheethouse, you'll understand just why I'm havering, over whether or not I should buy a chest-expander, from Amazon...?

Meanwhile, it's dull and dreich here in 'sunny' Beccles, just now!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

@General Cluster No, buy something locally, like beer or a cake and do some tummy expanding instead.

Temperature here has shot up to 9.1deg.C.

Posted
2 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Just using a firestick myself for the first time. Amazed I could get it to work but unfortunately the Scotland team are not working too well

Mostly cloudy here with a few showers at 9.0C

edit. Just as I say that they score and go ahead

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
18 hours ago, Norrance said:

Some bright intervals here today and just a couple of light showers. A cold wind though despite the temp topping 10C briefly. Now 6C.

Incidentally I don't think I can remember ever seeing as many geese flying over my house heading down towards the Tay  as there were at dusk today. Must have been at least twenty large skeins. What does it mean?

I saw 9 large skeins of pink footed Icelandic geese at the beginning of the week and I thought that was a lot!   I normally start seeing them around mid September until mid October on their way to Loch Leven National Nature Reserve which is just over the hill from me.  This year however, I didn't see/hear any at all until mid October.   Maybe the weather in Iceland was milder than usual for leaving at their normal time?  Don't know really, but they all seem to be getting a move on now.

Click picture in link.

BarnacleGeese-D3334.jpg?itok=N3T2px5v
WWW.NATURE.SCOT

Flocks of geese from Greenland, Svalbard and Iceland make their way to Scotland in impressive numbers every winter.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted

Max of 10.7°C, brightness then grey, then rain and this evening that line of torrential downpours didn't disappoint. 

PXL_20201114_155514334.jpg

Couple of minutes after taking the shot, I was distracted by an animal moving in front of the trees. Black, size of a doberman, moving fast and reminiscent of a cat.... Ran until out of sight down the valley in the rapidly failing light. Nobody else about - all very spooky. Am going to report the sighting on the big cat site.... 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I saw 9 large skeins of pink footed Icelandic geese at the beginning of the week and I thought that was a lot!   I normally start seeing them around mid September until mid October on their way to Loch Leven National Nature Reserve which is just over the hill from me.  This year however, I didn't see/hear any at all until mid October.   Maybe the weather in Iceland was milder than usual for leaving at their normal time?  Don't know really, but they all seem to be getting a move on now.

Click picture in link.

BarnacleGeese-D3334.jpg?itok=N3T2px5v
WWW.NATURE.SCOT

Flocks of geese from Greenland, Svalbard and Iceland make their way to Scotland in impressive numbers every winter.

Funnily enough tonight a more usual number of geese came over around dusk. I wonder if at least some of last night's big numbers were later than usual new arrivals that have now moved on further South? This year we had some early arrivals at the beginning of September then it was very quiet until a couple of weeks ago when greater numbers started appearing.
Raining here now and a bit milder at 9.8C.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Re the geese I heard them a few times a few months back but have heard them a few times again over the last few weeks usually pretty late at night. 
will be interesting to see if any ❄️ comes at the end of next week but there’s @shuggee ‘s -10 850hpa that he’s struggled to spot over the last few winters  9BDF0157-D20E-4667-A77A-E75F7B3C54E9.thumb.png.c46ec173d135152251f550e6946ad722.png

• Like 5

Posted

Dampish morning, the sort of damp that arrives at 13mm/hour, but I'm not letting it disturb my good humour. Watched the rugby yesterday and if what they say about it taking a good team to win while playing badly then Scotland were blooming brilliant. I haven't seen any of the widely reported skeins of geese but after the Scotland results at football and rugby this week I fully expect to see a formation of pigs overhead, flying northwards to pick up some snow clouds...

Temperature currently 9.3deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 07:20, humidity is 94%, wind currently very light westerly, pressure is 982.2hPa falling and there's been 9.0mm of rain since midnight and 11.6mm in the last 24 hours.

• Like 4

Posted

Morning.

Well,  this is it so far.   8.9c  with an E wind of 2.9mph.  Signs of it breaking from the east though.   We live in hope!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Heavy rain here - Blitzen I think I have your view just from the ground floor ☹️

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Heavy rain here - Blitzen I think I have your view just from the ground floor ☹️

Well, if you've got it where you are now, get used to it!

So much for my "clearing from the east" comment.   It's been on and off stair-rods for the past hour!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Dung spread and winter ploughing has commenced in fine conditions. 004.thumb.JPG.c337ad93ebc9845dded5b84b9bdbda99.JPG   Young Mr Northernlights getting some practise in.

Currently   showery and 10c

• Like 6

Posted

Not so fine here. Steady rain at 9.5C

93D2E09B-632F-435D-9618-2769BBBE3583.jpeg

AC0C8AF6-0E82-41F7-B613-2DC66DB9CC4E.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Largely just damp and grey here with the temp in high single digits. We did have some rain early afternoon, briefly heavy, just to give a bit of variation. At least a cool spell towards the end of the week will be a change, but its not looking as if it will be sustained for more than maybe a day or two, but I hope I'm wrong as at east seeing snow on the tops of the hills would be good.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Evening all

As other have said - very brief cold blast incoming! (Very surprising/sudden after viewing the charts a few days ago) 

Window for low level snowfall opportunity Thursday AM through to the early hours of Friday AM. 

Cairngorms snowing on and off Wednesday night through to Saturday at least - lovely snowy scenes on the webcams during that period. 

Few snapshots from the latest UKV - subject to change at this range of course.

Thursday 3:00 Precipitation type - lovely stuff there for the Cairngorms as mentioned.

BA7CF307-AC9D-4583-B7CA-F19583DC2F10.thumb.jpeg.a3697a1d16c9ea790228d09685cb42bd.jpeg

09:00 0C Isotherm: Snowfall expected at quite low levels. (Even sea level in the heaviest showers)

9D1D8D41-9335-4BBA-A6F1-3474B897BF78.thumb.jpeg.5677e7e57a8eec6f5fab762d060286d3.jpeg

12:00 528 Dam line over most of Scotland:

DDAE3992-B6A7-4981-8D01-75E5C6281F93.thumb.jpeg.9d63fd62d8059e6ea1867d36f69f52ae.jpeg

12:00 Precipitation type - Northern Scotland looking good.

56B4B194-A8E5-4389-8CD4-9BC4D2A03019.thumb.jpeg.4088d4f8d661b9362cb6b600324f0bbc.jpeg

Throughout the hours after this still the risk of snow showers - NE Scotland especially. 

Definitely a big chance of @Northern Strath @Ravelin and a few others seeing a few snowflakes. 
If these showers push further South then obviously @shuggee could get lucky also. (I know many of you live on high ground - just naming the folk that live on very high ground from memory! )

So all the ingredients are there at the moment and a nice wee wintry bonus before the official start of Meteorological Winter. 

All the best to you all.

• Like 9

Posted

Morning.

A nice one it is too.   Next couple of days however?  -  not so much.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4