Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
9 hours ago, Ross B said:

Cracking squall just went through with torrential rain and very strong winds. 

Screenshot_20201031-114111_Netweather Radar Extra.jpg

The 60mph gusts in that squall took the cowling off my chimney. Grrr. 

Tweed was busy all afternoon and flooded the valley:

PXL_20201031_152739888.jpg

PXL_20201031_155041093.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Strange day. Weather has been all over the place. Very wet & windy but warm & windy as well. Managed to go for a walk while warm & windy. Went to Cathcart Cemetery for a walk as it is Halloween. Came across a tree consuming a gravestone. Seemed apt.

Casualties today. Two wheelie bins, bird feeder, trampoline, large tree, which landed on a BMW. Thankfully not ours.

PHOTO-2020-10-31-17-46-38.jpg

Edited by chemikal
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

anim_vdo9.gifanim_eyc3.gif
not quite a direct hit but that’s what we are looking for the pressure rise over Scandinavia and the cold pools waiting ⛄️ 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Love the cobwebs weather just horrible. We move on Thurs then might be offline a week. Hope it's warm and sunny with palm trees in Ancrum..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Love the cobwebs weather just horrible. We move on Thurs then might be offline a week. Hope it's warm and sunny with palm trees in Ancrum..

Blimey that was quick... good luck stay safe and dont be away to long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
15 hours ago, Sanserit said:

Sadly, Italy's resistance has collapsed and the game's become very one-sided, would have preferred to see a battle from the Italians.

Sadly, my resistance went the same way.

image.thumb.png.9c437ed7cda56dbc3d55cf7beb5ed5c9.png

So victories for Scotland, England and France, I think, and a bit of a defeat for me this morning. Meanwhile on the weather front:-

Temperature currently 9.3deg.C up from a minimum of 6.6deg.C at midnight and down from a maximum of 10.6deg.C at 07:13, humidity is 82%, wind is highly variable maxing out at 19mph from the south, pressure is 989.5hPa rising quickly and 8.2mm of rain has fallen so far today. Right now it's dry and reasonably bright.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@Puffy MacCloud thats a fair old mix, i bet you have a sore head this morning. Bacon egg black pudding sarnie sort you out.

In weather news..... crap. Raining again and windy just not as bad as yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A'noon.

Much windier this  morning than the whole of yesterday here, but easing off now.  Temp:9.5c. Wind: 10.9mph (highest gust last 24hrs here was 22.9mph. Daily rain 4.2mm.

So... another dreich day here which has pretty much become the norm lately!

static_weathercams_php.thumb.jpg.ef7db47603cf607bf4715d7ddfd1b5a9.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Not great outside, not much better inside, horrible in my head despite various hangover cures.

Temperature currently 7.4deg.C, humidity 93%, wind very light from the southeast, pressure 983.3hPa and 18.4mm of rain has fallen since midnight but dry at the moment. Oh, and it's dark, which I'm liking.

• Like 1

Posted

DCB263B9-57EB-4939-85BF-486C3B8985F4.thumb.png.7f5d3d94fb751807d6cf7d156e202d41.png3B457BA0-F1E8-4750-A525-D777CC278706.thumb.png.9f66e30828a38712525f9610e5020a6a.png
BFTE - esque cold pool with this one anim_nlx5.gifanim_qpn8.gif 

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

DCB263B9-57EB-4939-85BF-486C3B8985F4.thumb.png.7f5d3d94fb751807d6cf7d156e202d41.png3B457BA0-F1E8-4750-A525-D777CC278706.thumb.png.9f66e30828a38712525f9610e5020a6a.png
BFTE - esque cold pool with this one anim_nlx5.gifanim_qpn8.gif 

I have so much to learn...I'm assuming this is looking good for cold weather in mid November? Is there potential for snow as a result?

• Like 2

Posted

The sky is cloudy to the west, less so to the east and the sun is getting through, the ground is damp and the trees are still although it looks chilly; not a bad morning.

Temperature currently 8.3deg.C down from a max of 8.8deg.C at 02:11 and up from a min of 7.0 at 08:50, humidity 94%, wind very light from the southeast with a max gust of 10mph at 01:44, pressure is 994.4hPa rising quickly and there's been 13.4mm of rain since midnight and 23.6mm in the last 24 hours.

Today I shall be walking to the post box to post a letter, because that's what we do for entertainment in a locked down village.

• Like 5

Posted

Thankfully a quieter start to the week after the mayhem of the weekend with the rain. That is the trend for the week thankfully time to dry out

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Sanserit said:

I have so much to learn...I'm assuming this is looking good for cold weather in mid November? Is there potential for snow as a result?

If it comes off like that yes you will quickly learn it’s rarely simple getting colder air to the UK there are quite a few things that can mess things up often leading to the toys and prams becoming dangerous objects in the mad model thread I have done a little diagram for the possible first scenario in around a week or so the black line shows what we don’t want to see which is too much of the energy and lower pressure going over the ridge / higher pressure causing it to flatten and messing up the easterly whereas the red line is what we are looking for with the lower pressure going to the south which gives u every chance of getting the flow from the east. There is the third option which I have been showing which is the low pressure just remains to the west and the Scandinavian high basically does all the work and gives any cold pools to the east the shot of coming around the high toward us which is probably the ideal scenario 856E1ED0-BF19-443E-BE10-E463DFFC99BD.thumb.jpeg.8ceaa9ca4546f9e7ff471212c3b25333.jpeg

often the models can over do the strength of the low pressure and underestimate the strength of the higher pressure.

• Like 4

Posted

And like magic here’s one showing what I was describing anim_yfu0.gif another that is good too 216176AE-4266-4E8D-B823-F1D4B7A15281.thumb.png.6d4bfc6ed95656605849a37ca76fc966.png

the key will be once we start to see the pressure building in Scandinavia (hopefully ) then see where things go from there.

• Like 3

Posted

Thank you @Kirkcaldy Weather for your explanation 

A reasonable day on Deeside, ground still wet as dogs came back sodden from their walk but it seemed pleasant enough. High of 12.8c, currently 5.6c and dropping so perhaps tomorrow will be the day my summer bedding finally dies off?

Meteo Group are forecasting a high of around 16c for here on Thursday on my phone's weather app - whatever happened to the damp, foggy and cold bonfire nights of my childhood?! Ok, so that was over 40 years ago and things have changed drastically since then but is it wrong to dream of them returning? Whatever happened to the gulf stream switching off? Ho hum, I'm off to watch a snowy film on the box to reminisce of days gone by.

• Like 5

Posted

Nice benign day, grey but a light grey so at least the sun made a attempt to break the Aberdeen Permagloom™ shield.

Light winds and a max of 11c.

Managed to fill a vase with fresh Dahlia flowers from the garden this afternoon, don't ever recall being able to do that this late in the season.

• Like 5

Posted

Temperature currently as low as it's been today at 6.3deg.C, it's breezy at around 3 to 6mph southeasterly with a maximum gust of 12mph at 22:53, and it's raining at a rate of 3.8mm/hr with a total for today of 22.2mm so far.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning.

Kinda chilly one too!   4,9c with a SW 9mph wind.   7.4mm of rain overnight but sun starting to peep through now.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

A quick look around east Fife for you this morning:

• Like 9

Posted

It feels like we're stuck between the wet and windy weather of the last couple of days and the promised land of frost, mist and sunshine that's supposed to be here in a day or two. This morning it's just damp and dull.

Temperature currently 5.4deg.C up from a minimum of 3.9deg.C at 08:41, humidity is 96%, the wind has dropped to nothing, pressure is 1014.1hPa rising quickly, the rain is off and on with a total for today of 18.0mm and 28.8mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 6

Posted

Or as those of us up on the moors call them, 'bottom feeders'.

(Apologies for this unnecessary, bordering on Trumpian, decent into factionalism. I shall go and thrash myself with an old copy of Meteorology Monthly.)

Sun's out.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
adding a superfluous weather bit