Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Absolutely  fell down during the night and local burn has overtopped into various fields and there are mini lakes in every field.River Findhorn very full too this morning and with a bit of a lag may get near the top this afternoon especially lower reaches with tidal influences. Fields of tatties and unsown ground roundabout may have to be left till April now unless we get a very dry November. This has been the wettest week in our area since last February with the wind off the Firth driving all the rain bearing cloud onto us. Currently 10c,dull calm and overcast with a bit of drizzle.

• Like 3

Posted

Further to this very humid weather a five day old thriving calf suddenly became ill this morning and was treated for pneumonia but didn"t improve this afternoon so got vet to give some IV steroid to help lungs and then promptly died just after vet left. Got vets back to PM the calf and discovered it had one very undeveloped lung so at least we can rule out  misdiagnosis and was probably congenital.  Had to try and get an answer as it was so sudden.However weather had probably put it under stress.

The ups and downs of farming life.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
28 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Further to this very humid weather a five day old thriving calf suddenly became ill this morning and was treated for pneumonia but didn"t improve this afternoon so got vet to give some IV steroid to help lungs and then promptly died just after vet left. Got vets back to PM the calf and discovered it had one very undeveloped lung so at least we can rule out  misdiagnosis and was probably congenital.  Had to try and get an answer as it was so sudden.However weather had probably put it under stress.

The ups and downs of farming life.

Sad to here your report NL. Two days ago we were snow covered with temps around freezing and the local farmer shedded his cattle. Now today they are out grazing on the meadows as the sun evaporates  the snow quickly up the mountain. The grass is still sweet and the temp reached 16c early today. The cattle ( including a few Black Angus ) are just lying and taking in the warmth of the Autumn sunshine. Always nice to see. The warmth and rain this summer has produced a good crop pile of hay to see out the long winter months.

C

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Mild overnight with a low of 10c and torrential rain from c.3am to 9am - result, lots of flooding.

The weather station just up the road from me recorded 41mm of rain, almost all in the period you mention. We took a rare drive into Aberdeen today at about 9:30am and there was a fair bit of surface water on the road from Alford, through Westhill and into the city. Nothing compared to Ellon though by the looks of it. 

Looking ahead, nothing too exciting in the forecast. If I could put in an order I'd quite like a dry spell followed by a good Autumn storm, the latter to gather the leave into piles to save me having to brush/rake them up. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Raining this morning and very dull.

Temperature currently 7.4deg.C up from a minimum of 6.9deg.C at 02:44, humidity 96%, very light wind from the south-southeast, pressure is 1000.7hPa, and 4.2mm of rain has fallen since midnight with a maximum rate of 8.8mm/hr.

I don't think the farmers around here have done too badly with their harvests, just as they did well with planting in the spring. It was the bit in between that was a bit rubbish. I often wonder whether keen gamblers would like farming, where no part of their lives is certain and everything is constantly down to chance.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Can confirm that Ellon did indeed get a pasting over the last 24/48 hours. And yet more rain overnight last night and this morning with more to come over the weekend if the forecast is correct. Im just out of town up a hill so escape any real flooding issues but roads from here into town are a mess. Booked in to the local tip around lunch time today so might just nip into Aldi for a top up of the beer fridge. Oh and food for the others of course..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Between the weather and the current situation of the country I think hibernation is the only sensible option. If youz could all send me sweeties to see me through to April, then I'll take to my bed.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
7 hours ago, mardatha said:

Between the weather and the current situation of the country I think hibernation is the only sensible option. If youz could all send me sweeties to see me through to April, then I'll take to my bed.

What kind would you like? Choccies? Wine gums? Jelly Babies? Licquorice Allsorts? Answers on a postcard please.  Cannae guarantee they'll get to you anytime soon, but the thought is always there. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, today turned out a lot better weather wise than I thought it would! The sun came out late morning and is till there, but temp has dropped a bit, now 8.7c and a nippy wee breeze along with it. Weekend looking like another washout along with some strong winds, so much yukkiness on the horizon. Stay warm and dry Peeplings. Only time I'll be going out tomorrow is to get coal and wood in. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
13 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Choccies? Wine gums? Jelly Babies? Licquorice Allsorts?

YES! YES! YES! lolol

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@shuggee the plan is to visit at the end of November and then move later in the year if possible. My girlfriend has her own business so I will work for her at first.

@Mair Snaw no no no, I will try to be discreet, honest. But it's all 1000m+ above sea level even before you hit the mountains....

This girlfriend of yours does she happen to have a sister who might like to date a mid 40's beer drinking slightly over weight west ham fan?? Asking for a friend..

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

She's an only child and already dating a mid 40s slightly overweight person called me

I hate you...

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

awwww and I was going to invite you over for a holiday...oh well

... what you doing with your house here?? Fancy renting it?? You always seem to get snaw..

Posted
39 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Bouncing it back at the landlord lol it's a little tired now. And I don't get that much snow really.

Ahh ok thanks mate.. i would still risk it tho... any chance you could inbox me any details etc??  

Posted

Pouring with rain. You can clearly tell where the squall is on the radar (not that far away from hitting us either)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Peg everything down before it hits - it was like a hurricane when it hit us at 7.30. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just hit us now, with it varying between heavy driven rain and short bursts of torrential driven rain. The dog can wait until later to be walked. 

• Like 4