Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Just the sort of day to go out and dance in the rain or jump in puddles. That is, if you're the village idiot or a dog walker, which I'm not. Today I stayed in and read a book, a classic that I was forced to read at school and hated at the time. Age, experience and freedom of choice haven't changed my opinion of it.

The maximum temperature today was 11.6deg.C at 13:24 and it's still up at 10.6deg.C now, humidity is 96%, winds have remained below 10mph and have come mainly from the southeast, pressure is 1001.9hPa falling, and it's been raining more or less all day, although not heavily, and the total so far is 32.2mm.

• Like 3

Posted

A damp start first thing but then the rest of the daylight hours were a lot better than forecast - dry, light winds and even a bit of sunshine at lunchtime.  Also feeling milder than of late with a max of 10c.

All change at dusk, fresh winds and steady light to moderate rain.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes lots of rain in the last week and we swapped places with Skye with easterly based winds for the past week or so driving rain onshore from the Firth very day but particularly at night Another very wet morning but mildish at 11c. Now starts the balancing act of when to take cows and calves in still mild enough to have outside and the humidity just now would lead to pneumonia if we took them in.  Will organise pnumonia vaccine for the end of the month.

• Like 7

Posted

Dull, damp, dreich, dismal; and the weather's no better.

Temperature currently 9.8deg.C up from a minimum of 8.8deg.C at 07:25, humidity 92%, wind varies between 0 and 8mph from the southwest, pressure is 994.7hPa falling, there's been 6mm of rain since midnight and 35mm in the last 24hrs.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

Weather is a bit crap for us - summed up nicely by everyone above! 

It is that time of the year again at the home of Santa Claus! :santa-emoji:

Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Not a bad outlook either:

73FEDAF5-A849-4122-B4FF-79802127BBD5.thumb.jpeg.5bcc26c592def6104dc98be801e35d7a.jpeg

Hopefully only a month or two until we are all enjoying those same scenes above! :reindeer-emoji::snowman-emoji:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Pish is the word i wouldusefor the past 48 hours and its raining again.. lucky for me i have a few of these and my log burner...

20201020_181828.jpg

20201020_181845.jpg

20201016_214136.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A bit of a mixture yesterday, started off pish, improved at lunchtime so I was able to get out for a walk, lovely afternoon, then a return to pish which stuck with us overnight and also brought along his Big Brother Mega Pish who remains with us all day. Looks better for tomorrow but then guess who returns for the weekend and most of next week. Ach well, it's only weather and we all need something to moan about, eh? 

• Like 7

Posted

I received a text message from my cleaner last night to warn me, as I was shielding earlier this year, that she has tested positive for Covid19. I have therefore spent the morning trying to arrange a test, which I now have. Meanwhile, in weather world:-

Temperature is currently 11.4deg.C up from a minimum (?) of 10.7 at 08:48, humidity is 95%, wind has been between 2 and 10mph south to southwesterly, pressure is 992.3hPa steady, and there's been 1.4mm of rain today and 3.0mm in the last 24 hours.

• Like 7

Posted

Thank you @mardatha I've had my test at the hospital and they say I'll get the results later today or in the morning.

• Like 3

Posted

Still very wet here no hope of mechanical lifting of neeps and stiil a few fields of tatties to lift in the area. Agronomist sent me their latest soil temperature charts  and they are falling steadily from 10c to 8c in a week so on course to help the snow to ly when winter starts. Currently overcast a bit of drizzle and 10c.

• Like 6

Posted

Last few days have actually been pretty child friendly with the daylight hours being dry and relatively mild.  No valid excuse then for being inside on the computer/tablet/TV 

Today no exception, with calm conditions and very mild with a max of 14c.  Even some sunshine around in the late morning so feeling very pleasant...

image.thumb.png.a34cd3392d627fd2a1655a731ab9de85.png

Plenty rain overnight the last few days though, ground conditions now getting very boggy in places.

Thick fog outside this evening which is unusual, lots of geese around as well making a heck of a racket, looks like they've roosted for the night in one of the neighbouring fields.  Now to see if the resident badgers and foxes decide to try their luck....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 19/10/2020 at 22:33, Puffy MacCloud said:

Today I stayed in and read a book, a classic that I was forced to read at school and hated at the time. Age, experience and freedom of choice haven't changed my opinion of it.

Ooh I love a classic (unless it's Dickens) what did you read? Also I hope the covid test was negative. 

Very Autumnal here just now, love the colours and crunching through the leaves (praying there are no hidden doggy landmines). 

New member of the Snowidea family arriving end of November, a border terrier puppy called whose name is still to be decided. Current forerunners are Fergus, Sorley or Cormac. Photos will follow. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I haven't poked my nose outside for days, too dull and miserable. Much nicer to stay inside reading a good book. Or ten.

Or maybe I'm just a lazy mess

• Like 5

Posted

Only one word for today...pish 

Over 27mm of rain since 2am according to my weather station with most of that falling since 5.30am. Not only that, while I've enjoyed working at home since the start of lockdown, I'm not rating having to pay to have my lights on during the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Flooding in Ellon. Apparently families had to be rescued overnight and the ythan looks ready to burst... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

IMG_20201021_160806.thumb.jpg.71e5f301061f561f826a0bb74de7793a.jpg

When it's not jaffa cakesing it down like it is currently there are certainly some great autumnal colours around. Took this photo on yesterday's dog walk, in the somewhat abandoned looking caravan site in Alford. 

• Like 7

Posted
21 hours ago, mardatha said:

Hope it's negative Puffy xx

18 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

@Puffy MacCloud fingers crossed.. did your cleaner forget to clean her hands??

1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Ooh I love a classic (unless it's Dickens) what did you read? Also I hope the covid test was negative. 

Test result negative, which is nice. thank you for your concern. @snowidea Great Expectations! My problem, which I accept is down to me, is that I just don't care what happens to Pip, I am not interested in the side stories and I can't abide the over-engineered happy ending. It's not as bad as Prester John though, and I say that as someone who normally likes John Buchan's books.

Temperature currently 9.2deg.C up 1deg.C from minimum at 05:17, humidity is 98%, no wind, no rain since midnight, pressure is 1001.0hPa rising, and there is 8/8 cloud cover. A dull, damp day.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 8