Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wind direction 180º out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beaufort 0 to 6, sunny and warm. Ideal for my gliders

A couple of year back we moved into our new, to us, place near Malmesbury, Wilts. I eventually got arround to setting up my Davis Vantage Vue only to find out that the wind direction was 180º out of kilter. It's mounted on the gable end above a flat roof and I decided that I would put up with it until the wonderful non rechargable battery needed changing.

It came around for the battery change and over the last weekend and while I had the pole down I checked the direction orientation of the vane on the shaft. As far as I can see there is only one way that the vane will fit and that is with the grub screw screwed onto the flat on the shaft. When I removed the vane the shaft rotated so I wasn't too sure it had been correct? I refitted the vane with the grub screw firmly screwed onto the flat and  hey presto, it still reads 180º out!

I checked the setup on the consul to make sure had got it set to the northern hemisphere and it is. So now I am lost as to why it isn't correct?

Any ideas please folks?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Have you got a 180° offset on the console? Might be worth checking, if it is, remove it. If there isn't one, add the 180° offset.

Page 26: http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-261_IM_06351.pdf

I presume the solar panel is facing south?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Thank you for the prompt reply M.

Hoe do I go about finding the 'offset'? I have found the calibration page of the wind direction, but nothing mentions an offset?

Please excuse me for being thick. It may have something to do with my age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
24 minutes ago, Jonzjob said:

Thank you for the prompt reply M.

Hoe do I go about finding the 'offset'? I have found the calibration page of the wind direction, but nothing mentions an offset?

Please excuse me for being thick. It may have something to do with my age

First, you need to get your Vue down from wherever it is. 

Make sure it's it's upright and that it's positioned so that the solar panel is facing due South. Move the wind vane to the North direction and make sure it stays there.

On your console, press the 'Wind' button until it shows wind direction in degrees. If it says 360° it's correct. If it says 180° press the '2nd' button and then press & hold the 'Set' button until the wind degrees number starts flashing.

You can now use the      >  buttons to select which digits to change and use the    +     -   to change the values.

Change the number from 180 to 360 whist making absolutely dead sure that the vane is still pointing due North and not moving about.

Press 'Done' when you've finished.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

That is what I thought it would be and I have had a play to see what happened.

I have just replaced the battery and it turns out the battery I have just fitted is duff. Those 'lovely' people at Amazon have just delivered a couple of new batteries so I will change them shortly and go through t he setup.

Thank you again for your help. I will let you know the results.

• Like 1

Posted

Be interesting to see because I don't think you have any adjustment in the latest firmware (4.4) as I have that on my new Vue, and as yet it hasn't been fixed by the supplier!

Posted

The morning after I had fitted the second replacement battery, a Duracell, and about 7.30 this morning the outside displays were blank once again.

I have checked the battery date, 2029, and the voltage of the other in the pack, 2.28V and now I am a little concerned that there is another problem?

Posted

Mapantz, my apologies for not saying sooner, but I must have had a 'senior moment' (brain cell fade). I have now corrected the north/south problem and changed the vane setting and it now reads correctly, or as near as makes no difference. Thank you.

Still left with the no external readings until the sun gets around to shining on the solar panel. I am under the impression that as I have now put 2 new batteries in it isn't duff batteries and that I have put them in correctly.

The capacitor has obviously charged up through the day as we still have the external data displayed here at 23.00hrs, but I have no idea just how far through the night that lasts?

If anyone has any ideas where I can go on this then please let me know, in the nicest possible way of course

Posted

I was under the impression that a "good" super capacitor will last for a period longer than a night, and from what I have read elsewhere it's not as easy to change as it is in the Pro. Another problem associated with the Vue is that of the transmitter eating batteries through a fault that it might have, again reading around.

The challenge comes in being able to start with the super cap, lots of threads across different forums about similar to your experience might be worth a call to somebody like Prodata to sound them out, self replacement of the cap seems only for the strong at heart, prepared to take a risk..

Posted

Have a check for any corrosion or dirt or insect parts on the battery terminals, brighten them up a bit with wire wool or sandpaper.
A wire might have come off where they attach and though that would be an easy fix getting access won't be.

Posted

I hope that if I can get me bum out of bed early enough in the morning that I can get up on the roof, get the unit down and inside early enough before the sun (?) gets chance to activate the display and check out those bits you have kindly pointed out?

I am a retired IBM hardware service eng so I have a big enough hammer to get to most bits (only kidding, it's only a small hammer?) But seriously, I should be able to get in if needed and sort and bad contacts or broken wires.

I will let you know how I get on? And thank you again for your help. It is appreciated.

Posted

Just a quick note to finish.

The battery terminals were very dirty. So I got my diamond contact cleaner on them and all is well now.

Method : -

I took the unit down and black taped the solar panel to stop it charging the cap. Cleaned the contacts and fitted the battery and reset it. The outside display came up in a few seconds.

I then put it back up on its pole and started to put the ladder away.

Next, I put the ladder up against the flat roof again and took the unit down , good game, good game.

Next I took the blasted black tape off of the solar panel and put the unit back up again and put the ladder away

Edited by Jonzjob
Forgot a bit