My album CoronaVIOLENCE

Hi Guys,

I posted this in the Covid thread a few months back, but thought I would give it it's own post.

During the lockdown I decided to record and produce my first solo album in 12 years. I think it took around 2 months and I'm quite pleased with how it came out. I have been a hip-hop emcee under the pseudonym MCD since 2002 and have had several little forays into the music industry over that time receiving a commendation from MTV in 2004.

I set out to make a social commentary of sorts - I wanted the album thematically to be about all the dark sides of the human psyche and the problems we face in today's world etc.  

Music reviewer Divide & Conquer gave it 3.7 out of 5 and said:

"This is an intensely dark release and not for the faint of heart. The subject matter isn’t for everyone but will reap rewards for fans of the genre who aren’t afraid to confront the topics head on. MCD is unapologetic in his approach and summarizes a lot for the fears we, as a society and world, have been feeling more and more."

Obviously its rap, so it won't be for everyone - but if you fancy taking a peek you can stream the whole album with a visualizer which I also made on youtube at:

You can also stream it on Spotify.

I ALSO have a soundcloud page which has the album and other tracks/battles/disses I've recorded - goes without saying, contains some unsavoury language and themes.

www.soundcloud.com/benvanrensburg - (ignore the 'Hyk Haup' tracks towards the top of the page - they were silly parodies myself and a few other guys made when we were bored during lockdown lol)

• Like 3

Hi Azazel.

I'm an amateur producer, but my thing is EDM, especially the harder stuff like DnB and UK Hardcore.  Haven't made anything for quite a while due to heavy work commitments.

Hip-hop/rap is my least favourite genre of music unfortunately!  So it's hard for me to express any real liking of your work, however I will say the production quality is VERY good.

Shooter stands out for me as the best track.

I hope this gets noticed and leads to some recognition, clearly a lot of work has gone in to this project!

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Hi Azazel.

I'm an amateur producer, but my thing is EDM, especially the harder stuff like DnB and UK Hardcore.  Haven't made anything for quite a while due to heavy work commitments.

Hip-hop/rap is my least favourite genre of music unfortunately!  So it's hard for me to express any real liking of your work, however I will say the production quality is VERY good.

Shooter stands out for me as the best track.

I hope this gets noticed and leads to some recognition, clearly a lot of work has gone in to this project!

haha no worries! Thank you for listening and I'm glad you found something in there to enjoy:)

Funny enough - rap isn't something I massively enjoy listening to - I just happened to start battling for fun when I was a teenager and it kind of stuck! I'm much more into metal really and always wanted to be in a band.

I grew up with all sorts including DnB and Hardcore though - Dillinja - Cybotron was a cracking album from my youth!

Yeah Cybotron had some really vicious sounds on it, great album!

I did used to listen to early rap stuff in the 80s, I actually quite liked it, but when I hit 18 in 1993 I started clubbing, just at the time when 'rave' was really diversifying.... there was techno, jungle and various flavours of breakbeat hardcore, all developing their own sounds, but all played under the same roof at places like Tiffany's in Yarmouth and Oscar's in Clacton. I was completely hooked into the culture and never looked back!

• Like 1