Cold?
IGNORED

Bio Diversity

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The UN is today talking about Bio Diversity and protecting the many species that are facing extinction. It also links into climate change. Of course the big problem and the elephant in the room is the ever increasing human population. Unless this is dealt with any action will eventually cancelled out by the need of the human population to build cities and feed itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I agree that human population is a big problem.  One thing that really annoys me is that people who speak out about the ever increasing human population are now being called eco fascists by some.  Their argument being it's not the size of the human population that's the problem but the likes of the rich,big business and capitalism etc. While that argument does hold some weight ,the way I see it though 8 billion people is still 8 billion people and the problem with the environment cant be just blamed on the rich etc.

In 1900 the human population was under  or around 2 billion. Now just 120 yrs later it stands at nearly 8 billion. I find that alarming. 

I think its estimated that the population will eventually plateau at around 10 billion later this century.  Well it would certainty want to plateau at some point and hopefully then come down. 

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ideally the human population needs to come down 2 billion and stable would be good. Should be able to feed ourselves without issues reduce our global impact on everything.

• Like 1