Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is your heating on yet?

Weatherman_93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It came on briefly this evening for the first time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
On 30/09/2020 at 17:49, Snipper said:

Remember your quote when you are their age. A little bit of sympathy goes a long way to keep your older, nearest and dearest happy. 

When you are less active, than what you recall in past times, that is when feeling cold kicks in. Apart from other reasons. 

Was out today picking sloes for sloe gin. Must admit it felt a bit chilly. But as I am well hard I continued with just wearing a shirt. Wish I had taken a jacket with me too be honest. Now the next problem is to find some decent cheap gin.

At the end of the day why, if you have the ability to keep yourself comfortably warm, be a “hero” and keep everything cold? 

Aldi was knocking it out quite cheaply, and Tescos were doing a litre and a half for 22 quid. We've got 10 litres on the go, a lot will be given away as Christmas presents though. 

Posted
1 hour ago, 78/79 said:

Aldi was knocking it out quite cheaply, and Tescos were doing a litre and a half for 22 quid. We've got 10 litres on the go, a lot will be given away as Christmas presents though. 

Got some from Tesco’s in the end at £21.67. Sloes washed dried and frozen loose. Freezing  helps get the flavour out. Probably why the old advice was pick after the first frost. 

• Like 1

Posted

NEST has been bringing the heating on more often over the last couple of weeks. It is relatively well trained so knows my schedule so brings the heating on just before I get up for a bit before I go to work and then is usually pre-heating just as I get back home from work.

Personally I have never understood 'I don't switch on my heating until November/until it is in the single digits' crowd.. It is not just the cold in Autumn/Winter, it is also the damp air from our rubbish weather so why purposely live in uncomfortable conditions if you have the option of switching on heating?

On the other hand, I do remember my grandma used to have her heating set ridiculously high in the winter which seemed a bit wasteful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I'm now going to do what the rest of you are doing: I'm henceforth going to refer to myself as the 'benchmark of normality'... You lot, therefor, are a bunch of weirdos!:crazy::oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
7 hours ago, Snipper said:

Got some from Tesco’s in the end at £21.67. Sloes washed dried and frozen loose. Freezing  helps get the flavour out. Probably why the old advice was pick after the first frost. 

They ripened quite early down here this year, picked most of mine around second week of Sept. They are blowing off the hedge easily now, the birds are having them as well. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

They ripened quite early down here this year, picked most of mine around second week of Sept. They are blowing off the hedge easily now, the birds are having them as well. 

Nice having something that doesn’t include that blooming Virus and the weather on occasions. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Considering it tonight! Blimmin cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
On 02/10/2020 at 21:19, matt111 said:

It came on briefly this evening for the first time. 

And now it’s on properly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Nowhere near yet taking that plunge! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

My wife put it on last night claiming she was testing the system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
On 01/10/2020 at 14:05, Thundershine said:

IIRC that was a member who made it 13 degrees inside in July with AC, which is even more wasteful and bad for the environment so I don't think I should be guilty. And yes medical reason why I need 30 degrees. Thanks for understanding.

Not quite, AC systems are electric.  Given that more than half of the UK’s electricity comes from renewable sources, it’s becoming more environmentally friendly to use electricity to heat and cool our homes.  A lot of U.K. homes running AC are also using solar panels to power them, but not all.  

Using gas boilers to heat our homes on the other hand, is not environmentally friendly...for the time being until we make the switch from natural gas to Hydrogen of course.  

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Do they have electric baseboards in England? We had a rental in Silverton that had it and it was pretty crappy and very expensive. Before that we lived in Quincy California that also had a baseboard but we didn't use it since it wasn't a rental we added propane heat in.  Does British people ever have propane tanks out in rural areas?

Here's the address of our Quincy California old house.  I'm not sure if the trees are covering it up or they somehow got rid of it but here is the address of the house with propane heat we had and the gate was different it had wheel spokes which I used to climb over. I could never have climbed the new weird gate they have if it was there back then.  Does the street view show up?  I copied the link.  I am not sure why they would remove the propane heat.   Edit: Going down a few houses by the mountain you can see a house with a much older propane heat still there. Ours was much newer as well as our house built in the early 80s.

Edited by SortingHat
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Didn't quite make it to November. Went on this morning for about half hour.

What was it like to flip the heat on? How long did it take to feel comfortable and what is your heat source?

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
1 hour ago, SortingHat said:

What was it like to flip the heat on? How long did it take to feel comfortable and what is your heat source?

Takes about 20 minutes to get to a comfortable temperature. Heat source is a gas boiler.

Posted
On 26/10/2020 at 14:21, Weatherman_93 said:

Takes about 20 minutes to get to a comfortable temperature. Heat source is a gas boiler.

Do people in England have electric wall board heat? A lot of older housess out here in Oregon do especially rentals and they have a hard time keeping up when it goes into the mid 20s..In fact our house in Quincy California had wall board which we knew would be a piece of crap so right away installed propane heat which I explained in my last post and had a map of our old house there.  It was a blue color then but now someone painted it a weird yellow!

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
On 26/10/2020 at 14:21, Weatherman_93 said:

Also how do you turn on heat? Is it one of those awful 'smart' heaters or a knob of some sorts?  Funny thing the house before ours also had a digital thermostat but it wasn't a smart heater. Digital thermostats started in the early 00s I think as our last house we bought in 2003 in Silverton. Smart heating came along much much later especially here in Oregon! We were the back of the pack.

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I have had the heating on for a couple of hours last week, not for comfort but to dry laundry, which would otherwise take at least a week in this constant near 100% humidity rainy crap otherwise known as autumn. The house hasn't dropped below 15C thanks largely to mild nights.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Central heating broke mid April this year, still not had it fixed and by look of the outlook no need to either...happy days for the bank account!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Central heating broke mid April this year, still not had it fixed and by look of the outlook no need to either...happy days for the bank account!!

Yes, one good thing about this monotonous mildness is that it does make it easier to save money on your heating bill. I still hope we get something more akin to November soon though. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2