Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Remembering a cold northerly shot early October

damianslaw

Posted

Given we are about to see the first shot of relatively cold air this Autumn season, albeit brief and not especially potent, affecting more northern parts mostly. I'm thinking back to an early shot of cold arctic air in early October I think 1994. I remember it delivering maxes of 7 degrees here and some snow on high ground, I think parts if NE Scotland had snow down to low levels. Not sure if exact date, it was a 24 hr affair and a Monday I think.. any recollections? 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Given we are about to see the first shot of relatively cold air this Autumn season, albeit brief and not especially potent, affecting more northern parts mostly. I'm thinking back to an early shot of cold arctic air in early October I think 1994. I remember it delivering maxes of 7 degrees here and some snow on high ground, I think parts if NE Scotland had snow down to low levels. Not sure if exact date, it was a 24 hr affair and a Monday I think.. any recollections? 

archives-1994-10-3-12-0.pngarchives-1994-10-4-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I remember there being an early potent northerly in early October, potentially late September, which delivered sleet and wet snow at low levels here. Would've been around the year 2000? 

Posted

snowy period around that time, early to mid 90's ruled! cannot remember any snow then though, maybe didn't get any

Posted
Just now, NorthernRab said:

I remember there being an early potent northerly in early October, potentially late September, which delivered sleet and wet snow at low levels here. Would've been around the year 2000? 

Monday 30th Oct 2000?, heavy wet non settling snow here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yeah I remember a dusting of snow down to about 1200ft here at the beginning of October in the early 90’s so it probably was that one.

i also remember the late October 2000 event when torrential overnight rain with some flooding turned into heavy wet snow.

we ended up with about three inches of snow before it finally stopped and slowly thawed.

Posted
38 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Thanks, yes backs up my memory. 3 October 1994.

Wasn’t the following week very warm and sunny. I recall the following Monday at least being nearly 20c in London. It felt quite warm for a short while, following the early cold snap.

1994/95 seemed to be the return of very mild winter weather, after the cooler 93/94, and even 92/93 had some chilly weather in London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

My weather diary of 3rd October said cold and fair with a breeze. A side note said snow lying in parts of N and NE (Scotland) that day.

Posted

Don't recall any cold weather late Sept/early October 2000, but do remember the late October wet snowfall of that year.

Thinking back to the early 90s, there were a couple of cold Octobers back to back 1992 and 1993. 1992 brought widespread wet snow mid month I think and ended up being a notably cold October. October 93 brought early severe frosts and wintry showers mid month thanks to cold arctic air. In 1994 and 1995 we saw mild Octobers, notably so in 1995.

Posted

Thought I'd take a look at the synoptics for October 1992, what an unusual month in this respect. Lots of easterly, northerly, cyclonic and anticyclonic influences, barely anything westerly, southerly or zonal. Indeed there was a hook up between azores and scandi heights early on to produce a long fetch easterly. We then had a long fetch northerly, north easterly. Then a potent northerly with cyclonic arctic air mass mid month, I think this is when the snow fell. Cold cyclonic weather dominated much of the rest of the month.

Posted
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

1994/95 seemed to be the return of very mild winter weather, after the cooler 93/94, and even 92/93 had some chilly weather in London.

1995/96 was a cold winter and 1996/97 was front loaded.  1997/98 really marked the return to milder winters lasting until 2008/09.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
21 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No I think it was earlier than that. It stood out for how early it was and sleet in late October here wouldn't be particularly notable. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer18 said:

I remember the end of October 2008 being really cold with frosts. Not sure of the exact date but think it was around Halloween. 

Perhaps should rename this thread, snow and cold in recent Octobers. Yes we had a potent northerly blast in late October 2008, I think the 29th, widespread low level snow even in London. Late Oct 2010 and 2012 also brought localised low level snowfalls though not as widespread and mostly restricted to the north. Coincidentally the starts to each of these were winters were either cold (2008 and 2012) or very cold (first half of December only in the case of 2008 and 2012). Not had anything especially cold in October since 2012, though the last couple of years have brought more varied colder conditions later in the month.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Perhaps should rename this thread, snow and cold in recent Octobers. Yes we had a potent northerly blast in late October 2008, I think the 29th, widespread low level snow even in London. Late Oct 2010 and 2012 also brought localised low level snowfalls though not as widespread and mostly restricted to the north.

October 2008 also began on the chilly side, with a brief northerly on the first Friday/early Saturday. Didn't last long though, and it became warm the following weekend.

archives-2008-10-3-0-0.png > archives-2008-10-11-12-0.png

Early October 2003 also had a not-quite-northerly, but a chilly first weekend of the month, a precursor to the cold second half of the month, but again a warm second weekend followed.

archives-2003-10-4-12-0.png > archives-2003-10-11-12-0.png

Posted
On 23/09/2020 at 18:35, damianslaw said:

Remember it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 23/09/2020 at 18:56, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Settled here, remains my earliest settling snow event. 

Posted
On 24/09/2020 at 14:21, Don said:

1995/96 was a cold winter and 1996/97 was front loaded.  1997/98 really marked the return to milder winters lasting until 2008/09.

01 and 06 are underrated as winters and 03 really was not what one should call mild. 

01 had several snow events in the Jan-March period.

06 was probably the frostiest (excluding 09/10 and Dec/Jan 10) winter most of us will remember even if a tad boring (sun, fog and frost metrics were off the charts for most people albeit snow events were mediocre mostly). 

To the thread itself i don't really remember much before about 2004 but since then we've had notable cold shots producing frost or stray (non-settling) snow in 05, 08, 10 and 12. Recent years have been a bit drab on that front albeit Oct 16 and 18 may have produced decent frost for some locations (and if not they compensated with their leaf fall). 

Posted
10 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

01 and 06 are underrated as winters and 03 really was not what one should call mild. 

01 had several snow events in the Jan-March period.

06 was probably the frostiest (excluding 09/10 and Dec/Jan 10) winter most of us will remember even if a tad boring (sun, fog and frost metrics were off the charts for most people albeit snow events were mediocre mostly). 

To the thread itself i don't really remember much before about 2004 but since then we've had notable cold shots producing frost or stray (non-settling) snow in 05, 08, 10 and 12. Recent years have been a bit drab on that front albeit Oct 16 and 18 may have produced decent frost for some locations (and if not they compensated with their leaf fall). 

Oh yes, there were some colder/snowier winters winters during the 1997-2008 period as you mention.  However, overall the winters were generally mild, although I suppose a bit of IMBY creeps in at times!

Posted

Yes, some of those early to mid 2000s winters had some cold periods in them.

I remember the chilly snowy weather of January 2003, some cold snaps in January and February 2004, and a cold second half of Feb 2005.

2005/06 was quite a cold winter.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, some of those early to mid 2000s winters had some cold periods in them.

I remember the chilly snowy weather of January 2003, some cold snaps in January and February 2004, and a cold second half of Feb 2005.

2005/06 was quite a cold winter.

Winter 2000/01 was definitely one of the more interesting winters during the early 2000's, although the south didn't receive much snow.  January 2003 was (IMBY) the best winter month during the 1997-2008 period, when on the 8th, London recorded the most snow since February 1994 or perhaps even 1991.  There was another snowfall on the 30th, too where many motorists were stranded on the M11.  2005/06 was a big let down as after the Met Office forecast a cold winter, it was a near miss winter, with only March really seeing much in the way of wintry weather and that was mainly the Midlands northwards with the south seeing little snow, although it was a cold month.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

2000/01 was a strange Winter. Relatively cold with lots of frost particularly in January in the North but also very dry. A cold end to Feb and early March with heavy snow showers in the North and North East of Scotland in particular and then heavy disruptive snow on the 11th/12th March in the West from Wales northwards into Scotland with the deepest official reported snow of 39cms being from Artalnaig in Perthshire. However despite that snow my home area not that far from Artalnaig 2006 had the fewest snow lying days of any since records began in the fifties with 12 recorded in total nearly all in March.  (I don't have details of  2018/9 and 2019/20 so that may not still stand? 

Posted
On 23/09/2020 at 23:13, damianslaw said:

Thought I'd take a look at the synoptics for October 1992, what an unusual month in this respect. Lots of easterly, northerly, cyclonic and anticyclonic influences, barely anything westerly, southerly or zonal. Indeed there was a hook up between azores and scandi heights early on to produce a long fetch easterly. We then had a long fetch northerly, north easterly. Then a potent northerly with cyclonic arctic air mass mid month, I think this is when the snow fell. Cold cyclonic weather dominated much of the rest of the month.

That was a cold October. The words "cool" and "cold" featured often in my diary entries for that month. Remember seeing snow cover on the Pennines at the back end of that month. Mentioned snow, 3 times on 24th, 25th and 28th October falling on parts of the Pennines, Cumbria, Derbyshire and Staffordshire hills.

Edited by Weather-history