Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Early run up to Winter 2020/2021 discussion


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

2010 is the daddy among winters. It makes 1986 it’s biatch. 

not in this part of the Midlands, go 5-10 miles in any direction, and there was a foot or more of lying snow.  Here we had 1/2" !!  

Weather watchers are very familiar with the 'gap' phenomenon, which causes the precipitation to split, got around us and the reform , it's seriously infuriating.

In fact the last decent snowfall was the 2 feet overnight on the 9th December 1990, and we've paid for it ever since!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a post for any newbies who have just joined. Musings and posts you WILL regularly come across in the months ahead and going into a winter: 1. October: 'This winter will be front loaded or ba

Says it up top 02/10.   Hot off the press Met office seasonal update OCT 20 for NDJ Considerable changes in favour of a colder Front loaded winter. Gone is the negative low pressur

Hi. Just briefly dipping into this thread, as a one off, to perhaps provide some further insight here... The spike in AAM in Oct was, of course, directly related to the eastward movement of the M

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I enjoy warm weather.  I'm not a bad person for wanting warmer weather.  I fully recognise that climate change is a real threat to humanity.  I don't want the climate to warm but I also enjoy warm weather - the two aren't mutually exclusive.  I don't particularly appreciate being made to feel like a terrible human being for saying I enjoy sunny and warm spells of weather.  I'm a bit fed up of people on this forum jumping on others when they say what weather they prefer - and that goes for both warm and cold lovers.  I've heard warm fans attacking cold fans saying "what about thousands that die due to cold weather illnesses" - yes it is tragic, nobody wants people to die.  However you can also enjoy cold weather.  Being a fan of a certain type of weather does not mean you automatically don't care about climate change, it's utterly ridiculous.  

The weather community is wonderful but can also be incredibly toxic at times.

I wouldn't say that my comment or the comments you mention constitute an attack. I suppose it depends how you wish to interpret it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

2010 is the daddy among winters. It makes 1986 it’s biatch. 

Not in terms of cold though...February 1986 was colder, I only recorded a max temperature of near 4c that entire month whilst Dec 2010's warmest day was 8c on the 11th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not in terms of cold though...February 1986 was colder, I only recorded a max temperature of near 4c that entire month whilst Dec 2010's warmest day was 8c on the 11th.

I suppose it depends where in the country you were. I may be wrong but I don't recall it getting anywhere near 8c in Yorkshire until after Christmas that year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

not in this part of the Midlands, go 5-10 miles in any direction, and there was a foot or more of lying snow.  Here we had 1/2" !!  

 

Good lord!  Did you go for lots of long walks during that period?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

I suppose it depends where in the country you were. I may be wrong but I don't recall it getting anywhere near 8c in Yorkshire until after Christmas that year. 

Well yes I was talking about my location on the Essex Coast and occasionally in that month we did have the less cold day country wide where as February 86 it never got above 4 c where I lived...CET wise Feb 86 was colder but less snowier.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well yes I was talking about my location on the Essex Coast and occasionally in that month we did have the less cold day country wide where as February 86 it never got above 4 c where I lived...CET wise Feb 86 was colder but less snowier.

Chelmsford was pretty snowy in Feb 86..not as snowy as Jan 87 or Feb 91 but the snow stuck from about 3rd Feb into March..rarely got above freezing that month and like you think it never got above 2-3c all month..cant comment on what Dec 2010 was like in Essex though

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

yes, generally 8- 10 miles, with the dogs, plus going out on my motorbike because all the roads were clear

Sometimes when the snow refuses to come to you, you have to go and find it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

...CET wise Feb 86 was colder but less snowier.

Monthwise it was but 27th November-27th December 2010 was -1.5C for the CET, That is overlooked, it was the coldest for any consecutive 31 day CET period since the winter of 1962-63.

No question that period was more sensational than February 1986.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Monthwise it was but 27th November-27th December 2010 was -1.5C for the CET, That is overlooked, it was the coldest for any consecutive 31 day CET period since the winter of 1962-63.

No question that period was more sensational than February 1986.

And on top of that the late 2010 spell occurred at a less favourable time of year. Also the coldest 31-day period commencing in November since the daily records began in 1772.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Chelmsford was pretty snowy in Feb 86..not as snowy as Jan 87 or Feb 91 but the snow stuck from about 3rd Feb into March..rarely got above freezing that month and like you think it never got above 2-3c all month..cant comment on what Dec 2010 was like in Essex though

I was 14 at the time and living in Chelmsford. I'm a little hazy but this is how I remember it:

The opening 10 days or so rarely got above freezing, with maxima generally around -2C to 0C. The milder period mid-month was enough to melt most of the snow that had accumulated (~10"). From memory maxima were around 7C for a few days, before the second blast hit us. Maxima were again generally below freezing until around Christmas Eve. I think we would have hit 7C again in the month's dying days.

So in summary not quite as extreme there as it was in the rest of the country, and more fractured than the February 1986 spell.

Edited by Relativistic
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

And on top of that the late 2010 spell occurred at a less favourable time of year. Also the coldest 31-day period commencing in November since the daily records began in 1772.

Yes got caught out in  mid December   2009 when we had snow cover before we had finished autumn ploughing so following year statrted a couple of weeks earlier in 2010 finishing in a grass field just  as the cold air arrived about the 24th of November.Remember following the plough as the wind started coming in from the north  east collecting soil for lime, P and K test.  At 1.00 pm normally about the warmest part of the day the freshly ploughed soil started to skin up as it froze and became easier to walk on.  Light flrries of soft hail  started too.Had never seen a wind off the sea do that before in November.I think it was a Thursday and remember telling family the weather woiuld be newsworthy by Monday and sure enough the lake effect snow started by then and we had about a foot of snow as walls of snow came in off the North Sea. Our massive 48 year old chest  freezer ( Norwegian Made) packed in a few weeks later but we were able to put contents outside for two days in a maximum of -7c while we waited for delivery of a new one. 

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Chelmsford was pretty snowy in Feb 86..not as snowy as Jan 87 or Feb 91 but the snow stuck from about 3rd Feb into March..rarely got above freezing that month and like you think it never got above 2-3c all month..cant comment on what Dec 2010 was like in Essex though

Think it was winter 62/63 that I rode my bike down the ice on the River Can to Chelmsford’s town centre. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert but I think that suggests extensive blocking in October which for UK would give a greater probability of a below average month temperature wise,blocking eases in November so maybe not too bad relative to average temperature wise and mid latitude blocking which again could indicate a colder than average month temperature wise.That is my interpretation and I could be off the mark.Also that is only CFS interpretation of next 3 months so don’t treat it as gospel lol!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't think there's any debate really. Late Nov-Dec 2010 was one of the most exceptional spells of winter weather the UK has ever faced. Entirely upper echelon.

Along with 1962-63 and 1946-47 but again it comes down to the different areas across the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Evening peeps,

Opps was meant to be replying to this. Anyone shed any thoughts as to what it might mean for the UK 😊

Oct to become drier but cool.

Nov more  unsettled than Oct  but cold after lows zip through

Dec north Atlantic blocking with hopefully southern tracking lows😁

Best asking JH.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't think there's any debate really. Late Nov-Dec 2010 was one of the most exceptional spells of winter weather the UK has ever faced. Entirely upper echelon.

Indeed so Crewe. Here in Dorset it was the coldest December since 1879 and CET wise  the cold spell 17th -27th Dec 2010 was the 17 coldest spell in the all time list of sub zero cet spells (in excess of 5 days duration ) since 1772.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, joggs said:

Oct to become drier but cool.

Nov more  unsettled than Oct  but cold after lows zip through

Dec north Atlantic blocking with hopefully southern tracking lows😁

Best asking JH.

Hi joggs

thanks for shedding some light on that. So if things hopefully fingers crossed go as expected then hopefully we should see some shots of cold by December. 

Here where I live in Walthamstow north east London we tend to get the best cold from easterlies or north easterlies. So I am hoping for at least a cold shot from one of these directions. 

We live in that hope us coldies and always will no matter how many winters might let us down with each new season we think "MAYBE" and that's where I will leave my expectations for this season. 

Kind reagards 😊😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hotspur62 said:

Not an expert but I think that suggests extensive blocking in October which for UK would give a greater probability of a below average month temperature wise,blocking eases in November so maybe not too bad relative to average temperature wise and mid latitude blocking which again could indicate a colder than average month temperature wise.That is my interpretation and I could be off the mark.Also that is only CFS interpretation of next 3 months so don’t treat it as gospel lol!

Thanks Hotspur62 👍 😊😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...