Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early run up to Winter 2020/2021 discussion

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Love this time of year.Anticipation of blocking,solar minimum,IOD,el Nino or La Niña,spread of Siberian snow cover ,-NAO & AO.So many considerations in the search for cold and snow for the UK.at present certain models are slowly moving towards a blocked pattern for November and December that will slowly wane in January and February and bring milder temperatures compared to average but nothing is set in stone.The one thing that does concern me is that in recent years the PV does always ramp up in late November/early December just when you don’t want it too and the building excitement turns into rapid disappointment and with it the chances of a prolonged cold spell that many on here long for(and yes I am partial to a cold spell or two in a UK winter).Whatever happens we will always be here because the GFS and ECM will show charts that will have us Salivating showing snowmeggeddon(normally at 10 days away lol) but that is part of the fun.Maybe this year one of those charts will actually come to fruition and if it does then everyone will move over to the Regional threads and send pictures of who has the most(or least) snow!!

Strap yourselves in guys and girls-Winter is coming and we will soon see if we do receive a good dump or two or the pastures of the UK just remain “green”!Either way I always enjoy the contributions so many make on here that have helped and educated me since 2013

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well folks, however we view the evidence relating to Deep Solar Minima, just remember that Earth's climate in 2020 is very different to what it was in 1836?

But, be that as it may, most of us I'm sure (myself certainly, as a SAD sufferer!) would love to see a winter with lots of lying snow?

A great lamppost-watching season beckons... Hopefully!:yahoo:

Who knows? We are entering the unknown with today’s climate and the impacts of GSM. Like I said.. time will tell of how it effects our weather and climate in the winters to come however I appreciate and respect everyone’s opinions on this   Bring on more snowy winters! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
6 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Last year and this year october forecast.

5f817971034ff_thumb_medium.JPG

5f817970ccdfc_thumb_medium.JPG

5f817970e4038_thumb_medium.JPG

Struggling to understand these charts, I think I get the temps - other is pressure? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Struggling to understand these charts, I think I get the temps - other is pressure? 

Top is pressure, my suggestion is locate the UK and look at the Atlantic and pressure to the north... 

5f817971034ff_thumb_medium.jpg

Obviously a lot more going on and apologies for the possibly misleading quick circling... 

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Griff said:

Top is pressure, my suggestion is locate the UK and look at the Atlantic and pressure to the north... 

5f817971034ff_thumb_medium.jpg

Obviously a lot more going on and apologies for the possibly misleading quick circling... 

Thanks.  So the red is higher pressure or...? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Beanz said:

Thanks.  So the red is higher pressure or...? 

Yes, in this case with predicted blocking to the north and west, worth a search for negative North Atlantic Oscillation (-NAO) and how that impacts the Jet and our weather. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes, in this case with predicted blocking to the north and west, worth a search for negative North Atlantic Oscillation (-NAO) and how that impacts the Jet and our weather. 

Coo! I understand the -NAO (well the basics at least) I just hadn’t seen these charts before and was struggling to translate them.  

Seems to support the idea of a colder Oct anyway  

• Like 1

Posted

So what everyone getting at could be in for cold start to winter. Where’s roger j smith been a bit ignorant ignoring about up coming winter ????? 

Posted
33 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

So what everyone getting at could be in for cold start to winter. Where’s roger j smith been a bit ignorant ignoring about up coming winter ????? 

I'm very eager to hear Roger's thoughts about the coming winter, too!

Posted

Just watched  gavsweathervids  latest winter update very interesting especially towards the end basically he was saying that we’ve having a lot of northern blocking at the moment through October and he had a few previous years  with the blocking through October’s and the winters that followed and there’s an increased chance basically of having a colder  winter 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Says it up top 02/10.

Hot off the press Met office seasonal update OCT 20 for NDJ

Considerable changes in favour of a colder Front loaded winter.

Gone is the negative low pressure anomaly to the North no be replaced by polar blocking & Ural blocking.

Slightly weaker signal for Greenland than 2009 suggestive of more continental flows rather than Northerly flows.

A very very positive update.

076281F0-2C01-4B87-9B05-1B8261AD09B0.thumb.jpeg.21652a41a3a701c7162f93018f7525fa.jpegDCACB173-C7C9-4832-8B33-43C3FA56C7E7.thumb.jpeg.002e8e102c4a0f288334ed993a91eb50.jpeg

Yes it is Steve. Clear signal for higher heights to the north than predicted last month with lower pressure over western Russia perhaps helping advert cold westwards still. Smoothed 3 month averages are annoying - but a very positive shift as far as these maps go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
59 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Just watched  gavsweathervids  latest winter update very interesting especially towards the end basically he was saying that we’ve having a lot of northern blocking at the moment through October and he had a few previous years  with the blocking through October’s and the winters that followed and there’s an increased chance basically of having a colder  winter 

Let's hope so @iceman1991... One more mild, damp, dreich winter, and I'll opt for voluntary self-defenestration!:oldlaugh:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

The signs are good it's already getting cold there's rain and hopefully it will carry on when we get into the minuses for the first time ever i am feeling positive plus these charts are so varied anything could happen just steer clear form the bbc

Edited by hamilton and weather fan 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
5 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

The winter shows a positive NAO. For the periode J-F-M even more positive.

Very strong La Nina (N-D-J). Is this realistic?

2cat_20201001_z500_months35_global_deter_public.png

2cat_20201001_sst_months24_global_deter_public.png

Which model is this from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
3 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Strange that it seems to be at odds with the glosea chart that Steve Murr posted. I think the majority of models are going for weak to moderate la nina as well. I guess time will tell...

Posted
On 09/10/2020 at 20:50, General Cluster said:

Well folks, however we view the evidence relating to Deep Solar Minima, just remember that Earth's climate in 2020 is very different to what it was in 1836?

As I mentioned before with the deep solar minimum of 1911-14  the winters were not a frosty snowfest. Infact most of the severe winters of the 20th century occurred closer to a solar maximum such as 1916-17, 1928-29, 1946-47 and 1978-79 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2