Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early run up to Winter 2020/2021 discussion

Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

But wishing 'a dream come true 20c in January' !?! certainly would be a beacon to the looming catastrophe just around the corner...yes we've had heady maximums (and minimums) before which have occasionally sprung up in our winters but on top of what we've experienced over the last 6 or 7 winters is the last thing I'll be wishing for.

Indeed 20C in January would be a direct result of climate change.  No other explanation!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Indeed 20C in January would be a direct result of climate change.  No other explanation!

Good thing it’s not possible the sun is too weak, only isolated foehn spots can see high teens.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Good thing it’s not possible the sun is too weak, only isolated foehn spots can see high teens.

Not sure about that?  If not, only a matter of time IMHO.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Mr_Moreau said:

From what I've read I'm definitely banking on a front-loaded winter this year.  Some decent cold and snow around Christmas would be great. 

If we have one solid week of cold snowy weather, I’ll take a mild rest of winter, or mild February, if we get a cold snowy Christmas and early January.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

As I absolutely hate winter, I want it to be very mild, like a few other members.

I wouldn't mind the odd snow dusting however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
34 minutes ago, Zak M said:

As I absolutely hate winter, I want it to be very mild, like a few other members.

I wouldn't mind the odd snow dusting however.

lucky you living now then! assume you're young under 20? you missed good winters of 80s and 90s

I hate winter too now, as it's just an extended autumn here

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

lucky you living now then! assume you're young under 20? you missed good winters of 80s and 90s

I have a love hate relationship with winters these days.  On the one hand, I'm almost always disappointed but always hope we will get something akin to the good winters of the 80s as they were best for me.  90s, not so good.

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, Don said:

I have a love hate relationship with winters these days.  On the one hand, I'm almost always disappointed but always hope we will get something akin to the good winters of the 80s and 90s.  Although the 80's for me were the very best!

many days in Dec to Feb will be like today, virtually certain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yeah. I'm 17.

2018 was the only year I can remember when I had quite a few snowfalls. I think I can just about remember December 2010, but definitely not the 80s and 90s winters.

Perhaps this winter will be good for snowfall?! We will find out soon...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

many days in Dec to Feb will be like today, virtually certain

Sadly, you're most probably correct but can always hope lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Yeah. I'm 17.

2018 was the only year I can remember when I had quite a few snowfalls. I think I can just about remember December 2010, but definitely not the 80s and 90s winters.

Perhaps this winter will be good for snowfall?! We will find out soon...

Growing up in the 90s, most of my single digit years had very little in the way of notable snowfall. There are pictures of me in heavy snow in early Feb 96, I remember it snowing in mid Dec 97, then the bizarre blizzard in mid April 99 and a surprise snowfall just before Christmas 99. Admittedly I was away on other occasions of snow, but it was rather hit and miss. The first time I noticed snow becoming more regular was in the 2000s - even 01/02 managed snow in late December. Then of course 2008-2013 were the best years I remember for snow in consecutive winters.

Interestingly, there was a period when the Christmas-New Year period would often bring snowfall at some point, either just before, during, or just after, but that hasn't been the case for a while. Would be nice to see a return of that as it was very festive e.g. 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No. If you are under 20, chances are you have experienced the cold winters of the late 2000s.

Posted
32 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Growing up in the 90s, most of my single digit years had very little in the way of notable snowfall. There are pictures of me in heavy snow in early Feb 96, I remember it snowing in mid Dec 97, then the bizarre blizzard in mid April 99 and a surprise snowfall just before Christmas 99. Admittedly I was away on other occasions of snow, but it was rather hit and miss. The first time I noticed snow becoming more regular was in the 2000s - even 01/02 managed snow in late December. Then of course 2008-2013 were the best years I remember for snow in consecutive winters.

Interestingly, there was a period when the Christmas-New Year period would often bring snowfall at some point, either just before, during, or just after, but that hasn't been the case for a while. Would be nice to see a return of that as it was very festive e.g. 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010. 

I’ll be honest here. I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and even during those classic 80s years, I only recall 1985-87 and 1991 and 94 producing snow over the London region. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll be honest here. I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and even during those classic 80s years, I only recall 1985-87 and 1991 and 94 producing snow over the London region. 

Same here in Hampshire pretty much.  Was a bit young to remember 85 specifically but remember 87, 91 and 94.  We also had a fall around 8/12/90 and a few very good ones 95-96, and 18/12/99 was very good locally.  

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Same here in Hampshire pretty much.  Was a bit young to remember 85 specifically but remember 87, 91 and 94.  We also had a fall around 8/12/90 and a few very good ones 95-96, and 18/12/99 was very good locally.  

Feb '94! unlike the modern eera, mild air just refused to win, snowfest!

archives-1994-2-24-0-0.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I remember a light dusting of snow on boxing night 1995, but the one notable thing was how the cold just lingered between November 95 until May 1996. It was also very dull during that period.

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Feb '94!

Yes that’s it, but 1993/94 was quite cold before Christmas. November had some snowfall on a Sunday morning in London. It was very cold at times. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

For the upcoming winter a snow laden one, with a sprinkling of gales thrown in would be best.  Something like 1-21dec 2010, 22-24 dec 2013, 25-31 dec 1996, 1-10 jan 2010, 11-17 jan 1987, 18-24 jan 2013, 25 jan 1990, 26-31 jan 1996, 1-3 feb 2019, 4-8 feb 1991, 9-10 feb 2020, 11-14 feb 2014, 15-16 feb 2020 and 17-28 feb 2019 would do nicely.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Mild air did penetrate into the south on occasion that month but we had good falls on 14/15thand 21/22nd.  But yes, Midlands northwards I remember it was reportedly a snow fest.  Similar in character to what happened for a bit in December 2009, between xmas and new year

Posted
5 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

For the upcoming winter a snow laden one, with a sprinkling of gales thrown in would be best.  Something like 1-21dec 2010, 22-24 dec 2013, 25-31 dec 1996, 1-10 jan 2010, 11-17 jan 1987, 18-24 jan 2013, 25 jan 1990, 26-31 jan 1996, 1-3 feb 2019, 4-8 feb 1991, 9-10 feb 2020, 11-14 feb 2014, 15-16 feb 2020 and 17-28 feb 2019 would do nicely.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway

Nov 18-24th '96

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Nov 18-24th '96

19th Nov epic rainfall in south, snow further north iir..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Mild air did penetrate into the south on occasion that month but we had good falls on 14/15thand 21/22nd.  But yes, Midlands northwards I remember it was reportedly a snow fest.  Similar in character to what happened for a bit in December 2009, between xmas and new year

Indeed, it took a mere few days for the mild air to come back after both spells:

archives-1994-2-17-12-0.png archives-1994-2-25-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
27 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

now i grew up in 70s and 80s and Feb 94 which i remember doesn't even get into my top 20 snow events..i would even say Feb 09, Dec 09, and Jan 10 were better also...obviously now living in Canada and event like Feb 94 would just be a normal day at the office.