Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Decline of Pop Music

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
    On 01/04/2021 at 10:22, Yarmy said:

As Clive James once said, "the young must have their music". I'm almost completely unaware of what's happening these days, and that's the way it should be.

And thats the way it was for decades, But there was a shift in the mid 90's with Britpop. When Oasis played Knebworth it was the first (?) time on a large scale , parents attended with their kids. Since then parents and kids have attended gigs and festivals together on a grand scale.

The problem is.... the kids DONT have their music, they arent the ones creating it. Pop music is being run by big bisiness and the kids are compliant to the Simon Cowells of this world. Just look in the charts.. its nearly all solo artists, X Factor wannabes, there are no great original artists who are speaking for their generation... no lennon, lydon, morrissey, etc...

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 144
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

Thinking that this morning listening to Radio 2 (they obviously have an obligation to play current stuff as well as old)...whether you can pin it on nostalgia or not I just don't think the creativity

They would blow any current  band that you care to mention  off the stage, the following that the Jam had in their day was phenomenal,  singles straight to no 1, Paul Weller one of the finest songwrit

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    On 15/09/2020 at 13:41, mushymanrob said:

Ok im well known here for moaning about the state of this once great art form.. many of you argued against me, suggesting its just because im old and past it..

When i was young, Stevie Wonder sang about "i was made to love her" and "my Cherie Amour", Marvin Gaye sang smoochy sensual love songs, Otis Reading "My Girl", you know...great songs about love with a degree of lyrical quality.

This bit of filth is currently number one... yes number one.. Cardi B with WAP (wet ass feline) - dont anyone ever again try to excuse modern pop as being "the same as its always been"

I said, certified freak
    Seven days a week
    Wet ass feline
    Make that pull-out game weak, woo

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    Yeah, you wibbleing with some wet ass feline
    Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass feline
    Give me everything you got for this wet ass feline

Beat it up, nigga, catch a charge
    Extra large and extra hard
    Put this feline right in your face
    Swipe your nose like a credit card
    Hop on top, I wanna ride
    I do a kegel while it's inside
    Spit in my mouth, look in my eyes
    This feline is wet, come take a dive
    Tie me up like I'm surprised
    Let's role play, I wear a disguise
    I want you to park that big Mack truck
    Right in this little garage
    Make it cream, make me scream
    Out in public, make a scene
    I don't cook, I don't clean
    But let me tell you how I got this ring (ayy,…

With one hundred percent on this one. I can't stand the new stuff to much fing and blinding going on, and worse. But there was music I avoided when younger for the same reason. Difference now is, the filth is actually getting to the top of the charts. How, and why do the station's even play them.

• Like 2
    Posted
    On 16/09/2020 at 09:30, General Cluster said:

I feel your pain, mushy, I really do!:oldlaugh:

But... I often think it might have something to do with the way our ears are 'trained'? I can't stand the sound of Chinese/Japanese opera, but that's hardly any reflection on the quality of such works; it's my ears that are to blame!

But those so-called 'lyrics' you've posted really are a load of sheet!🤢

I get your point, but I generally listen to everything from classical through to now stuff, but I chose it, the radio rarely gets turned on. Prefer Spotify. What ever type of music I want to listen to is in play lists, and I find new stuff by putting in a song, and it showing me similar stuff. Anything like the song that started this thread gets banned.

Posted
    On 17/09/2020 at 15:47, mushymanrob said:

bib 1 .... i completely disagree about that. The early 00's was a golden time for "indie" (hate that inaccurate term) rock bands... Deftones, Queens of the Stoneage, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Hives, HIM, Evanescence, Rasmus, AFI, Kings of Leon, Auf Der Maur, Goldfrapp, and loads of others. You still had decent original dance/trance before it went EDM, RnB was decent, even manufactured bands like Blue had some talent.
    Personally i rate the early 00s highly.. There was still variety, originality, creativity...

bib2 ... you support my pov, lol.

I dunno, "we" (my generation) railed against big corporations, punks ethos of "do it yourself" created the "indie" scene, the real indie scene. They rejected big corporations, they wouldnt accept what they were being told and did it for themselves. I have no idea why todays youth are lying down and accepting it.. me? im glad i was part of the most dynamic time in pop music/youth culture history, im saddened by the fact that its simply not the same now. It was fun, generation defining, and creative.

They are, it's just that many don't get to hear the music, it's not generally on radio stations. The most known artist for the movement in music at the moment is Stormzy

Posted
    19 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

They are, it's just that many don't get to hear the music, it's not generally on radio stations. The most known artist for the movement in music at the moment is Stormzy

Yep, and its sad that thats all there is.... Back in the 70's 80's there was a variety of styles/movements open to us to join in with.

Posted
    20 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

With one hundred percent on this one. I can't stand the new stuff to much fing and blinding going on, and worse. But there was music I avoided when younger for the same reason. Difference now is, the filth is actually getting to the top of the charts. How, and why do the station's even play them.

alot of rap and grime is foul... its mysogenistic, overtly sexual, homophobic, sexist, etc it contains material that frankly is borderline illegal or at least isnt pc.

thats one reason i do not support blm, because its like giving one section of society a get out of jail free card, they can be so un pc but appear to be the first to complain about racism. to me, racism isnt any more evil, wrong, unacceptable than sexism, homophopbia etc... its all wrong equally.

• Like 1
    Posted
    On 01/04/2021 at 10:14, lassie23 said:

who is number 1 these days

I looked on wikipedia to see how many number 1s I can say for definite I know since the start of 2020 by just looking at the titles......it was 2 

"All I want for Christmas is You" and "Last Christmas"....lol

• Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    On 04/04/2021 at 03:13, mushymanrob said:

thats one reason i do not support blm, because its like giving one section of society a get out of jail free card, they can be so un pc but appear to be the first to complain about racism. to me, racism isnt any more evil, wrong, unacceptable than sexism, homophopbia etc... its all wrong equally.

agreed on BLM for whole set of reasons not worth going into here..also you are right about sections of societies being able to get away with saying or doing things others would be vilified for..any going back to lewd lyrics..here's another one from days gone by that 8 year old me thought was great ...Gordon is a moron by Jilted John..a novelty song about being two timed..where he calls Julie a b*tch and a slu* and Gordon a p**f although he uses the word puff instead as that word which back them was deemed more offensive than b*tch or slu*..funny how times have changed

• Like 1
    Posted
    16 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

agreed on BLM for whole set of reasons not worth going into here..also you are right about sections of societies being able to get away with saying or doing things others would be vilified for..any going back to lewd lyrics..here's another one from days gone by that 8 year old me thought was great ...Gordon is a moron by Jilted John..a novelty song about being two timed..where he calls Julie a b*tch and a slu* and Gordon a p**f although he uses the word puff instead as that word which back them was deemed more offensive than b*tch or slu*..funny how times have changed

A 21 year old me thought it was great too, lol, as a novelty song... Those words were commonplace back then...

• Like 1
    • 1 month later...
    Posted

Never before has this been demonstrated to be true than at the Brits last night when Little Mix..... yes thats right, them 3 girls that are over made-up, cant afford clothes, manufactured bimbos, won the catagory for the best group! That puts them alongside the Beatles, KLF, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Oasis, and many more.

Its true that the Brits have always been a bit naff, and has more to do with corporate backslapping then an appreciation of true musical talent, but even so...  Those other artists (whether you like them or not, whether they really are the best or not) were REAL musicians, they created their own music, told their own stories, had personality and mostly originality.

How little mix can be compared to them is absolute stupidity. They are a pop product that relies on their sex appeal to help sell records (you rarely see them fully dressed) They help sell the image of what young women "should" be like then moan when they get stick for it... YOU ARE FEEDING THAT CULTURE YOU UTTER BIMBOS...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I rarely listen to anything that is going to consistently play music from the Nineties onwards.  That said I do often listen to a local radio station in Ireland and have heard a song called Black and White from this year (maybe last year?) which I think is decent enough. It's by someone called Niall Horan who I gather used to be in a boyband.

Prior to reading Mushy's post above, I had always assumed that Little Mix was the collective name for a group of Irish Dwarfs.....

Posted

I’m glad I found this thread.

As you probably gather, my favourite decade is the 1980s, and I enjoyed revisiting retro charts, especially from 1979-84, and 1987(although 87 is a mixed bag).

I will continue to upload them as we move through the year.

One thing I have noticed, when I revisit those years is, I think a major decline happened in early 1985. Band Aid, which was Christmas number 1 in 1984, most of the bands and solo acts who defined the early 1980s, from 80-84 had peaked. The new wave sound was dying out, and the Brit acts were either taking a break in 1985 or splitting up. This gave way to Madonna, Micheal Jackson and Prince, to dominate the charts, along with the tacky American rock acts like Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses. 

British music stalled and we were left with Dead or Alive and other bland acts to replace the likes of Ultravox, Frankie, Madness, Culture Club, Human League, the list goes on. 

Housemartins, Erasure and Pet Shop Boys were good, but not a patch on what came during the 1980-84 era.

I could waffle on about how bad rap and hip hop is.

Posted
    1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

As you probably gather, my favourite decade is the 1980s, and I enjoyed revisiting retro charts, especially from 1979-84, and 1987(although 87 is a mixed bag).

One thing I have noticed, when I revisit those years is, I think a major decline happened in early 1985. Band Aid, which was Christmas number 1 in 1984, most of the bands and solo acts who defined the early 1980s, from 80-84 had peaked. The new wave sound was dying out, and the Brit acts were either taking a break in 1985 or splitting up. This gave way to Madonna, Micheal Jackson and Prince, to dominate the charts, along with the tacky American rock acts like Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses. 

British music stalled and we were left with Dead or Alive and other bland acts to replace the likes of Ultravox, Frankie, Madness, Culture Club, Human League, the list goes on. 

Housemartins, Erasure and Pet Shop Boys were good, but not a patch on what came during the 1980-84 era.

Its true that a lot of British groups were fading by the mid 80's after the halcyon days of punk-new wave-ska two tone - new romantics plus rock in its many forms were dying out. There was a lot of "nice" groups emerginbg, as you said the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Curiosity, Living in a box, Christians, Johnny Hates Jazz, Wet x3, Blow Monkeys... etc... And cutting edge mainstream british guitar based bands re emerged in the early 90's with the madchester scene that rapidly evolved into Britpop.

The main problem with the 80's was the emergence of manufactured pop.... Stock Aitken and Watermans hit factory. I have 100% respect for them as a business, they churned out cheesy hit after cheesy hit, all using the same production technique so they did it prolifically and cheaply. But from a music POV they ruined pop! I HATE them..  They aimed their talentless creations at kids, kids who now have grown up with manufactured music being the norm, acceptable, and thats why todays music scene is non existent away from x factor wannabes.

Our problem with SAW is that we, proper long term music fans, didnt think SAWs production line pop would be popular for long, indeed SAWs music only lasted a short time. But they made manufactured pop acceptable..

Posted

As for favourite times... they come and go, and are dependent on likeing the style .
    My favourite era was 64-68, followed by 2001-2005. 77-84 is in third place.

Posted
    2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

yea but who remembers the rise of acid house and techno at the end of the 80s and the second summer of love?? and this badge 🙂

Posted
    1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

As for favourite times... they come and go, and are dependent on likeing the style .
    My favourite era was 64-68, followed by 2001-2005. 77-84 is in third place.

My favourite is mid 1979, from when Are Friends Electric, and I Don't Like Mondays got to number 1 in the UK, until around late summer of 1984.

January to May 79 was still very middle of the road, and soft rock ballads, although I do like the disco sounds. June to December 1979 for me is where the 80s started, and the 1970s ended. 

1980 was the transitional year, with elements of the 70s still around, the last remains of Disco, and Punk, also classic rock. New Wave however, was gaining momentum, but at this stage it was still halfway between punk and synth pop. Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Squeeze kind of fell into this transitioning sound of the late 1970s and early 80s, until around early 1981. Even Genesis's 1980 output was very much a hybrid of late 1970s with hints of new wave, in a sense classic rock, and prog rock meeting new wave. UB40, Madness, Specials, The Beat, The Clash, Bad Manners, and the like, all used horn sections in their music, along with Dexy's, and even The Police. This all fell into the New Wave category, but after 1980, most of these bands moved away from their early styles.

Spandau and Duran Duran, along with Ultravox in early 1981, is where the real 1980s sound started to really take hold. Phil Collins even sounded different to his 1980 output with Genesis.

1981, until mid 1983 is probably where these acts all peaked. 

From the summer of 1983, Spandau became more soulful, and Duran Duran also moved away from their new romantic sound. Madness also moved away from the 2-tone sound, and became more soulful(One Better Day, Micheal Caine, Sun and the Rain). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the cracks start to show in mid 1983. 1984 was still a good year for pop music, but by 1985 it went downhill big time.

Another favourite era of mine is 1990-95, but the charts on a whole are more hit and miss, but even then there was still enough variety. Acid Jazz, Britpop, Madchester, Deep House, Masters at Work etc.

I was a KISSfm listener between 1991-99, and thats when they played proper house, soul and undergound music, also acid jazz was still the flavour of the month.

After 1999, music stations started to lose their own identity, and would play the same boring songs from the chart. I think the real decline for me was when Britney Spears came on the scene. Rap music start appearing quite frequently, and the urban music from 2000 onwards was a little hit and miss. Some good stuff between 1999 and 2005 obviously, but the golden period for me was already over.

Posted
    13 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yea but who remembers the rise of acid house and techno at the end of the 80s and the second summer of love?? and this badge 🙂

I actually hated the acid house period, sorry to admit it, but those 88 and 89 dance tunes were mostly repetitive. Some of the stuff Frankie Knuckles brought out were good, also Mr Fingers.

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I actually hated the acid house period, sorry to admit it, but those 88 and 89 dance tunes were mostly repetitive. Some of the stuff Frankie Knuckles brought out were good, also Mr Fingers.

there was something about those summers that has never been seen again..they kicked off the rave scene..ecstacy became common place and the whole thing leaked into the mainstream for a cpl of years..even for me i went on a 10 day bender in September 1988 of which i remember very little ..to coin a phrase from the mid 90s..everybody was mad for it!

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

there was something about those summers that has never been seen again..they kicked off the rave scene..ecstacy became common place and the whole thing leaked into the mainstream for a cpl of years..even for me i went on a 10 day bender in September 1988 of which i remember very little ..to coin a phrase from the mid 90s..everybody was mad for it!

Oh i can see that lol. I was born in 1976, so too young to enjoy the summer of love era 88/89 from a clubbing and pubbing POV. I guess the 1964-71 age group were exposed to the best time. I hit the clubs around 93/94, by which time the rave scene was sort of on its last legs. It was still fun and exciting, but like you say, the off-your-face vibes had faded. Still, for anyone who was 18 in 1994 like myself, I just enjoyed going to clubs and dancing to house tunes that Steve Jackson was giving airplay to at the time. 

I do remember Bizarre Inc, and they were one of my favourites from that 1991 period, where rave and techno hit the charts. 88/89 dance music was sort of the seeds for the early to mid 1990s house, techno and trance music.

Posted
    1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I didnt like acid house, but the rave scene was fantastic, one of the UKs greatest youth movements. Mixing dance and techno created the decade of great dance music through the ninties.

I was never a dancer or clubber, when i was young it was discos and they were filled with medallion men and had a large gay following (which wasnt my bag as a straight). I was always a guitar based music fan. but by the end of the 90's i had discovered trance, and retrospectively explored the dance scene that preceded it, but was too old and committed to family/house/work to enjoy it.
    Trance is my favourite genre now, although mid 60's is my fav period, thats nostalgia, trance is the only genre now that i listen to regularly as its the only genre that lifts me spiritually.