Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Decline of Pop Music

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up! 

Edited by General Cluster
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 115
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

BBC 4 showed a Top of the Pops show from 5th April 1990 last night, 30 years ago now.  What struck me, no one would have heard of the Beatles 30 years previous to this, they didn't exist in the form w

More from Ready Steady Go! It's up to us, @mushymanrob:  

Posted Images

Posted
    On 16/11/2020 at 20:26, General Cluster said:

BBC 4 showed a Top of the Pops show from 5th April 1990 last night, 30 years ago now.  What struck me, no one would have heard of the Beatles 30 years previous to this, they didn't exist in the form we know them today.  

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
    1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Talking about the Beatles and 1990, who remembers this version of Strawberry Fields Forever by Candy Flip?

I think the fact that we have never heard of Candy Flip since says it all, lol. I never really understood the need for this cover..

Posted

T. Rex live from Wembley, 1972... I feel I must do my best, in stopping the rot!

• Like 1
    • 3 weeks later...
    Posted

Crimbo songs.... another  bit of evidence!

most of our crimbo songs were created between 1971 (happy christmas, war is over) and 2003 (christmas time, dont let the bells end, and proper crimbo).

why?..... when they are such a sure fire pension pot winner?... everybody loves crimbo songs, dont they?... well they are popular, so why have no new classics been created in the last 17 years?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mobile at work, settled when I'm off :)

If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

• Like 1
    Posted
    18 hours ago, WeatherManx said:

If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

lord... if coldplay and boring ed sheeran is the pick of the bunch, god help us all..

coldplay is everything wrong with music... adult pop ... polished, presented, often plagiarised, nice, twee, confetti ..... dreadful.

• 1 month later...
    Posted

The Weekend are currently producing some very melodic tracks, blinding lights is everywhere atm. but hes American, and owes a hell of a lot to A-Ha , in fact if someone told me blinding lights was a A-Ha album track, id have accepted that without questuion, lol.

Posted

I see Glastonbury's been cancelled due to Covid. Not much of a miss for music as a whole, but a gigantic blow to drug dealers across the country. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    21 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

I see Glastonbury's been cancelled due to Covid. Not much of a miss for music as a whole, but a gigantic blow to drug dealers across the country. 

Glastonbury has lost its original raison d'etre IMHO ... another pointer to the state of music..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
    On 10/12/2020 at 15:07, mushymanrob said:

lord... if coldplay and boring ed sheeran is the pick of the bunch, god help us all..

coldplay is everything wrong with music... adult pop ... polished, presented, often plagiarised, nice, twee, confetti ..... dreadful.

They would blow any current  band that you care to mention  off the stage, the following that the Jam had in their day was phenomenal,  singles straight to no 1, Paul Weller one of the finest songwriters of his generation.

• Like 1
    Posted
    18 hours ago, 78/79 said:

They would blow any current  band that you care to mention  off the stage, the following that the Jam had in their day was phenomenal,  singles straight to no 1, Paul Weller one of the finest songwriters of his generation.

I think the Jam with their heavily 60's influence brought back a more serious side to pop music, following years of glam which was just rather throwaway. Great songs with meaning.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
    On 23/11/2020 at 13:30, General Cluster said:

T. Rex live from Wembley, 1972... I feel I must do my best, in stopping the rot!

Great Band Pete, my missus  still loves  them.

• Like 1
    • 1 month later...
    Posted

Does Ed 'boring as flock' Sheeran really beat this?