Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Decline of Pop Music


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up! 

     

    Edited by General Cluster
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 115
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

    BBC 4 showed a Top of the Pops show from 5th April 1990 last night, 30 years ago now.  What struck me, no one would have heard of the Beatles 30 years previous to this, they didn't exist in the form w

    More from Ready Steady Go! It's up to us, @mushymanrob:  

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    On 16/11/2020 at 20:26, General Cluster said:

    How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up! 

     

    BBC 4 showed a Top of the Pops show from 5th April 1990 last night, 30 years ago now.  What struck me, no one would have heard of the Beatles 30 years previous to this, they didn't exist in the form we know them today.  

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

    Talking about the Beatles and 1990, who remembers this version of Strawberry Fields Forever by Candy Flip?

     

    I think the fact that we have never heard of Candy Flip since says it all, lol. I never really understood the need for this cover..

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    T. Rex live from Wembley, 1972... I feel I must do my best, in stopping the rot!

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 3 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby

    Crimbo songs.... another  bit of evidence!

    most of our crimbo songs were created between 1971 (happy christmas, war is over) and 2003 (christmas time, dont let the bells end, and proper crimbo).

    why?..... when they are such a sure fire pension pot winner?... everybody loves crimbo songs, dont they?... well they are popular, so why have no new classics been created in the last 17 years?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Isle of Man
  • Weather Preferences: Mobile at work, settled when I'm off :)
  • Location: Isle of Man

    If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    18 hours ago, WeatherManx said:

    If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

    lord... if coldplay and boring ed sheeran is the pick of the bunch, god help us all..

    coldplay is everything wrong with music... adult pop ... polished, presented, often plagiarised, nice, twee, confetti ..... dreadful.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby

    The Weekend are currently producing some very melodic tracks, blinding lights is everywhere atm. but hes American, and owes a hell of a lot to A-Ha , in fact if someone told me blinding lights was a A-Ha album track, id have accepted that without questuion, lol.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl

    I see Glastonbury's been cancelled due to Covid. Not much of a miss for music as a whole, but a gigantic blow to drug dealers across the country. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    21 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

    I see Glastonbury's been cancelled due to Covid. Not much of a miss for music as a whole, but a gigantic blow to drug dealers across the country. 

    Glastonbury has lost its original raison d'etre IMHO ... another pointer to the state of music..

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset
    On 10/12/2020 at 15:07, mushymanrob said:

    lord... if coldplay and boring ed sheeran is the pick of the bunch, god help us all..

    coldplay is everything wrong with music... adult pop ... polished, presented, often plagiarised, nice, twee, confetti ..... dreadful.

    They would blow any current  band that you care to mention  off the stage, the following that the Jam had in their day was phenomenal,  singles straight to no 1, Paul Weller one of the finest songwriters of his generation.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    18 hours ago, 78/79 said:

    They would blow any current  band that you care to mention  off the stage, the following that the Jam had in their day was phenomenal,  singles straight to no 1, Paul Weller one of the finest songwriters of his generation.

    I think the Jam with their heavily 60's influence brought back a more serious side to pop music, following years of glam which was just rather throwaway. Great songs with meaning.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset
    On 23/11/2020 at 13:30, General Cluster said:

    T. Rex live from Wembley, 1972... I feel I must do my best, in stopping the rot!

     

    Great Band Pete, my missus  still loves  them.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    Does Ed 'boring as flock' Sheeran really beat this?

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...