Snow?

The Decline of Pop Music

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

Thinking that this morning listening to Radio 2 (they obviously have an obligation to play current stuff as well as old)...whether you can pin it on nostalgia or not I just don't think the creativity

Yep completely agree except for the BIB.. ooops.. the second bib that is...lol.. made a mistake.. There was plenty of great new music coming up from the ground level through and after the SAW era (

Posted Images

On 16/11/2020 at 20:26, General Cluster said:

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up! 

BBC 4 showed a Top of the Pops show from 5th April 1990 last night, 30 years ago now.  What struck me, no one would have heard of the Beatles 30 years previous to this, they didn't exist in the form we know them today.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Talking about the Beatles and 1990, who remembers this version of Strawberry Fields Forever by Candy Flip?

I think the fact that we have never heard of Candy Flip since says it all, lol. I never really understood the need for this cover..

• 3 weeks later...

Crimbo songs.... another  bit of evidence!

most of our crimbo songs were created between 1971 (happy christmas, war is over) and 2003 (christmas time, dont let the bells end, and proper crimbo).

why?..... when they are such a sure fire pension pot winner?... everybody loves crimbo songs, dont they?... well they are popular, so why have no new classics been created in the last 17 years?

If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, WeatherManx said:

If you compare the track listing of the first NOW albums to the recent ones, the ratio of killer to filler is the opposite. Those early ones had a few forgotten duffers, but mostly massive hits by artists that are often still around now, or at least the songs are still well known - stuff like Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths, U2. Even some leftfield/rockier stuff like Souixie and the Banshees or Iron Maiden. The recent ones have a couple of big hits - maybe Coldplay or Ed Sheeren etc, and another 30 songs nobody knows of, never mind  forgotten. Somebody you've never heard of featuring somebody else. There's still the odd massive hit - Uptown Funk etc but so much totally forgettable stuff.

lord... if coldplay and boring ed sheeran is the pick of the bunch, god help us all..

coldplay is everything wrong with music... adult pop ... polished, presented, often plagiarised, nice, twee, confetti ..... dreadful.