The Decline of Pop Music

Interesting conversation this - todays mainstream music is dire.

The attached image says it all for me - I only ever seem to hear one genre of music that the youth are listening to now - it's a hybrid of rap & R&B, it is utter dung and not worthy to be in the same category as Public Enemy or even bands like De La Soul.

Death of Musical Diversity.PNG

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking that this morning listening to Radio 2 (they obviously have an obligation to play current stuff as well as old)...whether you can pin it on nostalgia or not I just don't think the creativity

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

Yep completely agree except for the BIB.. ooops.. the second bib that is...lol.. made a mistake.. There was plenty of great new music coming up from the ground level through and after the SAW era (

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Interesting conversation this - todays mainstream music is dire.

The attached image says it all for me - I only ever seem to hear one genre of music that the youth are listening to now - it's a hybrid of rap & R&B, it is utter dung and not worthy to be in the same category as Public Enemy or even bands like De La Soul.

Death of Musical Diversity.PNG

thanks for posting that graphic, it illustrates my point perfectly...

Aye, the bulk of modern pop music is dire... but the main fault may not lie with musicians, but with greedy producers:

Nothing much has changed since the days of Oscar Wilde... knowing the cost everything but the value of nothing is as prevalent today as it ever was?

I’m only 27 but I agree that modern music is absolute garbage. This year in particular I haven’t even bothered looking at the chart with all that’s going on. It’s just Drake releasing TikTok friendly drivel and I agree what people are saying about mumble rap. It literally is the worst and most depressing type of music imaginable. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

I’m only 27 but I agree that modern music is absolute garbage. This year in particular I haven’t even bothered looking at the chart with all that’s going on. It’s just Drake releasing TikTok friendly drivel and I agree what people are saying about mumble rap. It literally is the worst and most depressing type of music imaginable. 

Aye, definitely, my favourite years for dance/r&b late 90's/early 00's, do you remember Atlantic 252? maybe a bit young

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, definitely, my favourite years for dance/r&b late 90's/early 00's, do you remember Atlantic 252? maybe a bit young

Yeah I was a bit young but I agree about that era, love the house/dance music from then in particular 👍

• Like 1

Ooh glad I found this thread, avid listener to 'pop music' well up until about 2 years ago, can't listen to much of what is in the charts any more - its as bad as it ever has been.  Complete absence of any guitar, rock music, just solo artists with featured peoples, mostly a hybrid of awful rap/hip hop etc.. 

I've switched to radio 2, indeed it seems to play the best of the latest new releases, by more established acts that don't seem to make it into the Top 40, even though most are very worthy of doing so.

There is the occasional shimmer of light in the charts, most of it comes from dance acts such as recent number one by MNEK which is listenable, but this year in particular its hit an all time low, the likes of Cardi B at number 1 shocking, appauling stuff. 

I've become quite nostalgic for the 2009-2012 period which saw some fantastic pop music, cheerful. Gosh if ever there was a year we need uplifting music it's this one, not the durge we have endured.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Ooh glad I found this thread, avid listener to 'pop music' well up until about 2 years ago, can't listen to much of what is in the charts any more - its as bad as it ever has been.  Complete absence of any guitar, rock music, just solo artists with featured peoples, mostly a hybrid of awful rap/hip hop etc.. 

I've switched to radio 2, indeed it seems to play the best of the latest new releases, by more established acts that don't seem to make it into the Top 40, even though most are very worthy of doing so.

There is the occasional shimmer of light in the charts, most of it comes from dance acts such as recent number one by MNEK which is listenable, but this year in particular its hit an all time low, the likes of Cardi B at number 1 shocking, appauling stuff. 

I've become quite nostalgic for the 2009-2012 period which saw some fantastic pop music, cheerful. Gosh if ever there was a year we need uplifting music it's this one, not the durge we have endured.

Absolute for me! certainly no post 2008 pop/r&b

1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Absolute for me! certainly no post 2008 pop/r&b

Post 2008 pop has had its moments, indeed as said 2009-2012 period brought some excellent euphoric pop/dance music, ousted out hip hop/rap. More recently dare I say it even Justin Bieber produced a couple of belters in 2015, what do you mean and sorry. The rot set in 2016 with Drake One Dance.. and we've had Drake clones ever since, Stormzy hasnt helped and Ed Sheeran in 2017. We need bright bouncy pop and decent dance back, there was a resurgence of house music in 2013-2015 which was good.

14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Post 2008 pop has had its moments, indeed as said 2009-2012 period brought some excellent euphoric pop/dance music, ousted out hip hop/rap. More recently dare I say it even Justin Bieber produced a couple of belters in 2015, what do you mean and sorry. The rot set in 2016 with Drake One Dance.. and we've had Drake clones ever since, Stormzy hasnt helped and Ed Sheeran in 2017. We need bright bouncy pop and decent dance back, there was a resurgence of house music in 2013-2015 which was good.

Yeah I agree with this, ever since One Dance topped the charts for about 20 weeks it has been mostly terrible. I have also listened to a lot of stuff from 2008-2015, guess I’m just nostalgic for normality ha 

For me I think music died around 2010ish. Between 2000 and 2010 we still had established producers and DJs like Timbaland and David Guetta churning out highly influential bangers fairly regularly.

Some of Timbaland's stuff with Nelly Furtado and Timberlake was totally on point around 2006-2007.

Edited by CreweCold

i used to make the mistake of believing that "music died" the minute a style i didnt like came out...indeed i really didnt like the early 70's, philly, glam, prog.. i also wrote off the late 80's early 90's which was completely wrong as there was so much going on...it just wasnt my style. the burgeoning rave/dance scene especially as i wasnt into dance music then... i was a fool as i missed out on a wonderful time and a wonderful scene with new cutting edge music.

i liked the early 00's, plenty of variety, but after 2005 the rot set in. the charts had a lot of "indie" bands that all sounded the same... dance had long since lost its cutting edge, but there have been some "bangers" as they are referred to now.... chase n status "blind faith" eg, superb.. but "greats" were alone in a growing sea of mass produced dross...

there are still an occassional decent track, but imho (and that of my pop music fan friends) the charts have never been so dull , theres no [i]fun[/i] anymore, just cowell clone solo artist wannabes... alongside mumble rap and edm mass produced generic unoriginal garbage.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

For me I think music died around 2010ish. Between 2000 and 2010 we still had established producers and DJs like Timbaland and David Guetta churning out highly influential bangers fairly regularly.

Some of Timbaland's stuff with Nelly Furtado and Timberlake was totally on point around 2006-2007.

Guetta started out ok, but he just sold out along with tiesto, ferry corseten as others like darren tate just gave up.

The talent is still there at local level with bands and singers able to do very polished performances, they mostly do cover versions from decades ago though.
The UK has been at the forefront of the music industry in the past and it's been a big earner with a thriving culture producing an astonishing range of original material.
What exactly has gone wrong is hard to pin down but decline in actual hard copies in the MP3 and streaming era has to be part of it even though it's unstoppable.

Thinking some more there's a deeper issue in that the pervading mood of society has been steered towards gloom and doom  and decline - whereas in the past it was all about optimism and  a brighter future enabled by technological advance.

11 hours ago, lassie23 said:

My interest in pop music ended in the 1980s, have i missed much?

Rick Astley and Kylie are still going....

1 hour ago, 4wd said:

Thinking some more there's a deeper issue in that the pervading mood of society has been steered towards gloom and doom  and decline - whereas in the past it was all about optimism and  a brighter future enabled by technological advance.

living through the 70's and you couldnt get much gloomier then those times for young people, of which i was one. music though acted as a release, glam rock for eg was my generations "party music" , escape with fun from the pretty dire condition the country was in. when partying didnt work, it turned to anger and the punk explosion inspired us to be creative, we rejected the doon and gloom..

i do believe that our rich history of creating new sounds and fashions were driven by people who had a voice, an opinion, and were brave enough to take risks regardless of offence. in fact id suggest it was the drive to offend and shock people that drove the post punk creative period and lead to the most diverse and healthy period in pop music history.

in this day and age where the risk of "offending" some poor delicate soul has been removed, then so has the drive to push boundaries, everything is so homogenised and safe.

Just last season, the DJ in the local Apre Bar played a song by The Spencer Davis Group called "Keep on running " , a big hit in the 60s. Out of curiosity , I asked the Dj why he played this tune from such a long time ago . He just replied , a class by the professor. Spencer could speak , German and Spanish fluently and was well liked on the continent. The professor, died recently at the age of 81 years, Pete Yorke, the drummer still is a musician in Germany  and of course key board player Stevie Winwood at talent on his own.

C

52 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Just last season, the DJ in the local Apre Bar played a song by The Spencer Davis Group called "Keep on running " , a big hit in the 60s. Out of curiosity , I asked the Dj why he played this tune from such a long time ago . He just replied , a class by the professor. Spencer could speak , German and Spanish fluently and was well liked on the continent. The professor, died recently at the age of 81 years, Pete Yorke, the drummer still is a musician in Germany  and of course key board player Stevie Winwood at talent on his own.

C

"Keep on Running" is one of my all time top 3 tracks... number 1 in January 1966 . Steve Winwood was the vocalist, he was just 17 when the SDG hit the top spot.

Interestingly after a few more singles that year, in early 67 the SDG hit the top ten again with "Im a man" , a song about a young person coming to terms with his homosexuality, homosexuality was still illegal in early 67 before it was legalised later that year. Legal or not, it was still taboo. So it was a brave, courageous move to release a song like that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, General Cluster said:

Well @mushymanrob, I was brought up on this... We are, are we not, of precisely the same age?

Oh that looks interesting, ill have to watch it when ive a spare hour!.

I didnt watch RSG, i dont think, i was too young and if my tv owning parents didnt put it on, i wouldnt have seen it.

We did watch totp though and i remember millie on the first show handing out lollipops.

Of course, TOTP and RSG were pioneers in the 60's, which were at the very start of the popularisation of pop music culture.  Hell of a lot has gone on since then...

• Like 1