Snow?

The Decline of Pop Music

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How's about a bit of Beatlemania, @mushymanrob... Their music still makes the hairs on my arms stand up!   

Thinking that this morning listening to Radio 2 (they obviously have an obligation to play current stuff as well as old)...whether you can pin it on nostalgia or not I just don't think the creativity

Yep completely agree except for the BIB.. ooops.. the second bib that is...lol.. made a mistake.. There was plenty of great new music coming up from the ground level through and after the SAW era (

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Something like that, yes, without looking it up.

But why was that track around so long? it must be because it had something more then just lewd lyrics, now if WAP has the affect that relax did, ill concede..

But it wont will it, its just filth for the sake of it.

exactly will be gone and forgotten inside 3 months..no one will remember it in 20 years..so will have no influence or impact 

4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

bib 1 .... i completely disagree about that. The early 00's was a golden time for "indie" (hate that inaccurate term) rock bands... Deftones, Queens of the Stoneage, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Hives, HIM, Evanescence, Rasmus, AFI, Kings of Leon, Auf Der Maur, Goldfrapp, and loads of others. You still had decent original dance/trance before it went EDM, RnB was decent, even manufactured bands like Blue had some talent.
Personally i rate the early 00s highly.. There was still variety, originality, creativity...

bib2 ... you support my pov, lol.

I dunno, "we" (my generation) railed against big corporations, punks ethos of "do it yourself" created the "indie" scene, the real indie scene. They rejected big corporations, they wouldnt accept what they were being told and did it for themselves. I have no idea why todays youth are lying down and accepting it.. me? im glad i was part of the most dynamic time in pop music/youth culture history, im saddened by the fact that its simply not the same now. It was fun, generation defining, and creative.

Bib1 Not many Brits in there (1?), so stand by it.

Bib2 Plenty of great female artists these days railing against what's important to them. 

11 hours ago, jtay said:

Bib2 Plenty of great female artists these days railing against what's important to them. 

True, most were not British, but suggesting "things back on track now" is clearly untrue, the scene is clearly not what it was by any definition.

Where?....

Edited by mushymanrob
14 hours ago, jtay said:

ok, now ive been to work...

There was UK Garage , arguably the last great original British genre

There were acts like the Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Hard-fi, Franz Ferdinand, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Stereophonics, Doves, Oasis, Idlewild, Ash, Feeder, etc etc etc..

There was Busted and McFly, no dont laugh! lol, they were good old fashion pop groups bashing away on drums, twanging away on guitars, their own fun compositions... traditional pop.

We were never big on dance since the rave scene faded, but we had Darren Tate (Jurgen Vries) (DT8) releasing top quality trance.

We had decent R n B, Jamelia, Misteeq, Javine, Shy FX, Lamaar, to name but a few..

Even manufactured pop had some identity, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, the S Club collective (7,8,juniors) and Blue , at least Lee Ryan composed Blues songs.. these acts had individuality, unlike todays which are completely interchangable..

There are some good tracks released in these times, im quite liking Dua Lipa - Hallucinate, but there isnt the variety or originality that there clearly was in the early 00's.  So no, your point doesnt stand. 🙂

44 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

ok, now ive been to work...

There was UK Garage , arguably the last great original British genre

There were acts like the Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Hard-fi, Franz Ferdinand, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Stereophonics, Doves, Oasis, Idlewild, Ash, Feeder, etc etc etc..

There was Busted and McFly, no dont laugh! lol, they were good old fashion pop groups bashing away on drums, twanging away on guitars, their own fun compositions... traditional pop.

We were never big on dance since the rave scene faded, but we had Darren Tate (Jurgen Vries) (DT8) releasing top quality trance.

We had decent R n B, Jamelia, Misteeq, Javine, Shy FX, Lamaar, to name but a few..

Even manufactured pop had some identity, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, the S Club collective (7,8,juniors) and Blue , at least Lee Ryan composed Blues songs.. these acts had individuality, unlike todays which are completely interchangable..

There are some good tracks released in these times, im quite liking Dua Lipa - Hallucinate, but there isnt the variety or originality that there clearly was in the early 00's.  So no, your point doesnt stand. 🙂

These were entirely my point. You could add Jet, The Thrills, etc but it was all a bit meh. Arctic Monkeys & Doves - great. The others were 90's bands.

Re: The Q about current excellent female artists...

Janelle Monae, Lizzo, Aldous Harding, Brittany Howard, Daughter, Nadine Shah, HoneyBlood, Little Simz, Kae Tempest, Jenny Beth, Flock of Dimes, Marika Hackman, Laura Marling, Sigrid, Sylvan Esso, Lorde, Stealing Sheep, Anna Calvi, Róisín Murphy, Self Esteem, should keep you going for a while.

Edited by jtay
1 hour ago, jtay said:

These were entirely my point. You could add Jet, The Thrills, etc but it was all a bit meh. Arctic Monkeys & Doves - great. The others were 90's bands.

Re: The Q about current excellent female artists...

Janelle Monae, Lizzo, Aldous Harding, Brittany Howard, Daughter, Nadine Shah, HoneyBlood, Little Simz, Kae Tempest, Jenny Beth, Flock of Dimes, Marika Hackman, Laura Marling, Sigrid, Sylvan Esso, Lorde, Stealing Sheep, Anna Calvi, Róisín Murphy, Self Esteem, should keep you going for a while.

Ohhhh .... so what you really mean is that you didnt like the music being created back then... thats not the same thing as the scene being dead... I hated the early 70's, glam, prog, philly, but i cannot deny its originality, popularity, and the worth of those styles to the great British scene..

The others were 90's bands?.... erm... no... they were all charting in the early 00's , just because a couple were around before y2k doesnt mean the 00's material was 90's... it wasnt, it was out in the early 00's.

Again... who?.... listing a load of solo female artistes does equate to variety and originality. The point is that in the early 00's, there WAS variety and originality right there in mainstream, you didnt need to hunt it out, just because it wasnt your personal taste doesnt mean it was a bad era for music.

There clearly isnt that variety in the modern mainstream... and no originality.

For me, pop music declined during the 1990s. The music, lyrics didn't appeal to me, a lot of crap. 

Also I think it is outrageous a group like Westlife have got so many number 1s based on cover versions. Absolute no originality, yet people obviously bought these singles but I'd be interest what the actual sales were. Westlife songs are not memorable, how many are played to get people on a dance floor?

X Factor ruined the Christmas number 1 spot, that use to be a big thing back in the day but now I'm struggling to name most Christmas number 1s of the last 20 years. 

Chart music now, I don't listen to. I was shocked to see Drake had a number 1 for 15 weeks?!!  15 weeks?!  I don't even know how it goes?!  Don't recognise most of the number 1s from the last decade that I looked up.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Weather-history said:

For me, pop music declined during the 1990s. The music, lyrics didn't appeal to me, a lot of crap. 

Also I think it is outrageous a group like Westlife have got so many number 1s based on cover versions. Absolute no originality, yet people obviously bought these singles but I'd be interest what the actual sales were. Westlife songs are not memorable, how many are played to get people on a dance floor?

X Factor ruined the Christmas number 1 spot, that use to be a big thing back in the day but now I'm struggling to name most Christmas number 1s of the last 20 years. 

Chart music now, I don't listen to. I was shocked to see Drake had a number 1 for 15 weeks?!!  15 weeks?!  I don't even know how it goes?!  Don't recognise most of the number 1s from the last decade that I looked up.

Absolutely,  manufactured rubbish acceptable... by who?..

Drake.... dreary dull negative crap..

18 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

I wonder if anyone remembers this song which was banned on the radio:

St Cecilia - leap up and down (wave your knickers in the air)

That should be banned because it was Jonathon King under one of his many pseudonyms ..... it was simply purile. i was 14 when that was out, no wonder i started collecting 60's material if that was what "my" generation supposed to listen to.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

That should be banned because it was Jonathon King under one of his many pseudonyms ..... it was simply purile. i was 14 when that was out, no wonder i started collecting 60's material if that was what "my" generation supposed to listen to.

Remember this Jonathan King song?

1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Remember this Jonathan King song?

Indeed i do, mid 60's was a favourite era of mine. That was before his involvement with Genesis.

He recorded under
The Weathermen - its the same old song
St Cecilia - leap up and down wave your knickers in the air
Nemo - the sun has got his hat on
Sakkarin - sugar sugar
the piglets - johnny reggae
Shag - loop de love
Bubblerock - i cant get no satistaction
53rd and a 3rd - Chick a boom
one hundred ton and a feather - it only takes a minute (later covered by take that)
Father Abraphart and the Smurps - lick a surf for christmas

amongst several others.. most were covers...

On 19/09/2020 at 15:53, Weather-history said:

I agree with some of that, although I would say the writing was on the wall in the 80s once it was realized by corporates that there as big money in controlling music. I think the rot started with the likes of Stock Aitken Waterman in that later part of the 80's. Whatever your genre of music, I don't really recall anything coming through from the ground so to speak after that. Groups or acts used to start in small clubs and tour in vans to get themselves known on the music scene, like the Beatles did 20yrs before. I can remember picking up white label records in Tooting famed for its Reggie scene at the time.  

Whether you were into Rock, Reggie, Punk, Tow Tone, Soul etc there was something out there for you, and it was new, kids were banging out stuff in garages. That aspect of music has gone, as has the variation we used to have, yes you could get Joe Dolce Shuddap you face, but you also got Reo Speedagon, Genesis, Michaell Jackson, Blondie, Police, The Jam, Bob Marley all rolled up in a sandwich of Soul and Disco, you just don't get that variation today. 

• Like 1