Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stand/pole for garden station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

Hello all, I've been looking around for a weather station recently, but a more fundamental question seems to be how exactly I can mount the station in the garden. I'm envisioning a two metre metal pole skewered in the lawn, but I'm struggling to find anything that fits the bill.

Do any of you have advice on such a set-up, and where to get hold of a pole like this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, DogToffee said:

Hello all, I've been looking around for a weather station recently, but a more fundamental question seems to be how exactly I can mount the station in the garden. I'm envisioning a two metre metal pole skewered in the lawn, but I'm struggling to find anything that fits the bill.

Do any of you have advice on such a set-up, and where to get hold of a pole like this?

You can get "aerial poles" designed for TV masts from places such as B&Q, Tool station or Screwfix. 

I regularly use these for my weather station network, although I usually mount them against something.

litton.thumb.jpg.2bd51d2856f4067ebcf2130f8de406ef.jpg278410267_beckole.thumb.jpg.3fd20406911101dcd08993e18c771262.jpgyock2.thumb.jpg.ac4ea08d058cca4961ec2395a310e412.jpgnethergill.thumb.jpg.04d429ed042a11827e7d77425699f81b.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

You can get "aerial poles" designed for TV masts from places such as B&Q, Tool station or Screwfix. 

I regularly use these for my weather station network, although I usually mount them against something.

litton.thumb.jpg.2bd51d2856f4067ebcf2130f8de406ef.jpg278410267_beckole.thumb.jpg.3fd20406911101dcd08993e18c771262.jpgyock2.thumb.jpg.ac4ea08d058cca4961ec2395a310e412.jpgnethergill.thumb.jpg.04d429ed042a11827e7d77425699f81b.jpg

Now there's a good idea, and I've got a fence to lash it to.

From the first picture, it looks like yours has a diameter around 50mm, is that about right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, DogToffee said:

Now there's a good idea, and I've got a fence to lash it to.

From the first picture, it looks like yours has a diameter around 50mm, is that about right?

1.5 inch diameter. 8 foot long.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Posted

Slightly delayed in implementation, but I finally got an Ecowitt WS2910 installed in the back garden. You can find me as the easternmost of the two datapoints on WoW in Musselburgh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Scaffold tube very sturdy galvanised and cheap when passed their safety date

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On 14/09/2020 at 18:09, DogToffee said:

If you’ve got an out building or shed, this’ll do it, it’s what I’ve got, works well 

39913.jpg
WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

• Cranked pole 12" (300mm) offset. Ideal for installations where overhang such as gutter or leaves are present • Suitable for overhangs up to 300mm (8") • Aluminium alloy seam welded for added strength...

Posted

I got an aerial pole as vizzy suggested above.

• 6 months later...
Posted

I am after buying an ecowitt weather station and now I am deciding where to put it. We have a small front garden and fairly small back garden that has a 2m and in some parts 3m high wall. My wife doesn't want a 2m pole in the front garden and having a 2m pole in the middle of the back garden wouldn't work either with kids playing ball. 

I am thinking of going with the below bolted towards the top of the wall. Thoughts and any other recommendations? Btw got a similar type steel one of 50mm diameter but it looked way too bulky.

WWW.SCREWFIX.IE

Order Labgear L-Cranked Universal Wall-Mounting Bracket 0.44m at Screwfix.ie. Screwfix customers rate this product 4.6/5. FREE next day delivery available, free collection in 1 minute.

Edited by OverThere