Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SEPTEMBERS ... Just how good/bad are they?

mushymanrob

Posted

September does seem to have been more settled recently - in the last decade our average rainfall in Sept is 140mm compared to 180mm in both August in October.  Interestingly September is also the only month apart from April I've recorded no thunder days since I started keeping track in 2012.

The Met Office rainfall series shows that Sept has been wetter in the past, we're currently going through a dry September period but not as dry as the early 1900s

UK.gif

1959 appears to have set the benchmark for September sunshine and despite some nice weather in recent years, nothing really comes close.  

UK.gif

Personally I remember nice weather in Sept 2002 & 2014, a rather wet one last year and a particularly wet period when my son was born in 2008.  Also the heat in 2011, but more so for the 1st October when I visited the beach and it was 20C by 10am!  Otherwise most recent Septembers here seem rather benign but not dry / warm enough to be memorable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, B87 said:

The sunniest Septembers I can find for London are 1959 (209.2 hrs), 1964 (213.7 hrs), 1997 (190.3 hrs), 2003 (206.7 hrs), 2018 (195.0 hrs). I imagine 1949 would have been in that list too, but sunshine stats only exist from 1957.

Average is about 150 hours.

Certainly remember the golden days of September 2003. So weird being out and about in 26C sunshine midmonth and not tanning!

Posted

September I’d say is a mild/warm dominant month but with few extremes. I’d say June is the most similar month to September but June gets hotter heatwaves.

It has less daylight but still fairly light and most trees are still green throughout the month so it looks like summer but if you look hard enough you can see the autumnal fruits and all.

September to me feels like a summer month when the weather is good and an autumn month when the weather is bad.

• Like 1

Posted

September for me can vary quite a bit, yes the Atlantic can be quite strong but as colder air develops towards the poles and if there are kinks in the jet, we can usually see large blocking highs developing. October can be like this also hence the Indian summer term. It does seem going by the models it will be more of a flat jet heading through the more northern parts of the UK hence the Azores high being quite close but not close enough for the whole of the UK to feel its benefits. 

I do like watching the colder polar air slowly becoming more widespread during September and that is always a sign winter is not too far away. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

To me September isn't proper Autumn. There's a definite "lag effect" from the Summer. Yes the days are now shorter but usually it's still pleasant enough by day, sometimes even warm. A bit like March isn't proper Spring to me. There's a lag effect with that month too. Can often be cold and snowy. Winter still hanging on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I think people's experiences of September really depend on how far north you live.  In Scotland it seems the autumnal weather really begins in August whereas further south (and even more so in continental Europe) summer weather tends to last well in September and even beyond.  For example, it's 28°C in Paris today and I don't think that's autumnal in anyone's book.

• Like 1

Posted

For me personally I've always hated September and October no matter what weather they bring.

After August I'm ready for November

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I think people's experiences of September really depend on how far north you live.  In Scotland it seems the autumnal weather really begins in August whereas further south (and even more so in continental Europe) summer weather tends to last well in September and even beyond.  For example, it's 28°C in Paris today and I don't think that's autumnal in anyone's book.

if temperatures define a season, then id agree... however, they dont, and a french autumn is different to a british one..

Posted

Hot sunshine, lots of wasps (and far too many mosquitoes), average highs in the low-to-mid twenties (26C today). Summer is definitely not over yet as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

if temperatures define a season, then id agree... however, they dont, and a french autumn is different to a british one..

Paris is almost identical to London in autumn in terms of temperatures, raingall and sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Paris is almost identical to London in autumn in terms of temperatures, raingall and sunshine.

london isnt identical to the rest of the uk...

regardless, the seasons arent defined by temperature or weather type, they are a natural event.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Great point. I live in Scotland and I would say August is a worse month than September. Albeit September is cooler but it’s generally drier than August and there’s more settled weather. The only September’s that I’d say have been poor in the last 20 years were 2000 and 2017 whereas most August’s have been dire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
2 minutes ago, Harry233 said:

Great point. I live in Scotland and I would say August is a worse month than September. Albeit September is cooler but it’s generally drier than August and there’s more settled weather. The only September’s that I’d say have been poor in the last 20 years were 2000 and 2017 whereas most August’s have been dire.

I did the West Highland Way last year and it rained on every single one of the 14 days I was there!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I did the West Highland Way last year and it rained on every single one of the 14 days I was there!

North west highlands are extremely wet. 14 days of rain in a row seems very typical. Most parts of the north west highlands receive over 100 inches of rain a year. Glasgow which is the wettest City in the UK receive half of that.  

Posted
20 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

To me September isn't proper Autumn. There's a definite "lag effect" from the Summer. Yes the days are now shorter but usually it's still pleasant enough by day, sometimes even warm. A bit like March isn't proper Spring to me. There's a lag effect with that month too. Can often be cold and snowy. Winter still hanging on. 

Septembers do vary alot, quite often we see much benign weather in the first half, sometimes after poor ends to August. However, by the equinox, largely thanks to light levels diminshing rapidly and an ever weakening sun strength, autumn proper kicks in here. Agree the same thing happens in March, first half can be very wintry still, on occasion can bring the coldest weather of the winter season.. but by the equinox there is a change in feel and spring finally gets going.

There is a lag effect in December and June too, first halves of both months a transitional periods, in some years a very sure start into the next season, in many less sure about themselves.

The months of May, July, November and January generally know themselves more. April is very fickle flips between winter, spring and sometimes summer. August by the end dips its toes into Autumn. February by its end can dip its toes into Spring. October like April flips between sometimes summer, autumn and winter.

November can be wintry, but has a late autumnal glow about it. May likewise can often be summery, but nature shows you it is still Spring. January - you can never describe as being spring like. July you can nver describe as being Spring or Autumn like. For this reason perhaps the most definite months are July and January - the most 'constant' months of the year and therefore comforting.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cannot remember any 30 degree birthdays, Sept seems to start crap most years, can be warmer later on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
22 hours ago, B87 said:

The sunniest Septembers I can find for London are 1959 (209.2 hrs), 1964 (213.7 hrs), 1997 (190.3 hrs), 2003 (206.7 hrs), 2018 (195.0 hrs). I imagine 1949 would have been in that list too, but sunshine stats only exist from 1957.

Average is about 150 hours.

Nearby Oxford top sunniest

1929   199 hrs

1964   210 hrs

1959   213 hrs

You wouldnt like 1945,by far the dullest at 64 hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
8 hours ago, B87 said:

London being at one extreme for the UK and Paris being much nearer the other for France.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
On 03/09/2020 at 20:31, cheeky_monkey said:

September here is very much a transition month from Summer into winter..temps really do collapse away in the second half of September..right now we are only 4-5 weeks away from our first real snowfall and first ice days.

That would suit me just fine!   Unfortunately moving to Canada is rather unlikely......

Posted

September can seem a bit boring to me.. can be harder to get high temps (even from high 850s, especially in the SW), and often too early for real Autumnal interest.
Sometime we seem to get increased high pressure ridging that that just hangs around.. which would have been lovely, and possibly hot, in summer.. but then it just brings near average weather in September and into October when I'm ready for something more active/interesting. It's nice when you do get late warmth though as it is probably the last of the year.

I have seen some good plume type thunderstorms in September such as 2014 and 2016 though.. and I kind of liked last September, downpour on the 9th, then a sunny high, and then an active end with heavy showers/rain.. Felt like more a traditional transition into Autumn.

With sea temps near their highest, there is perhaps more potential for heavy rains, and the chance of 'Autumn type' thunderstorms near the coast increases theoretically, but high pressure ridging often sees that go to waste. 

Given that I prefer summer these days I probably prefer September due to daylight and warmer temps than October/November, even if the latter has more active weather.

This coming weekend looked unsettled and even had a storm showing on yesterday morning's ECM.. now it seems high pressure ridging just hanging around/building in the south instead.
Tbh I kind of wanted the unsettled and breezy/windy weather, more interesting for a kitesurfer 

Edit: That's not to say I don't like pleasant September weather, I do and appreciate the pleasant weather and more so than when younger when I was more after the extremes. Although it's still more interesting when it isn't just weeks of mostly 18-20C maxima.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I'd have to agree that September can be more summery than june, particularly in the 1st half.  Best ever thunderstorm for me also occured this month, 15/16th 2016.  2006, 2014 and 1999 all felt summery so yes it can be a decent month.  

Generally cooler nights though than june to August 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me, central to the summer feel is the sun strength, the amount of sun, hours of daylight, daily maxes and the look of nature. So June wins hands down against September. The only time September comes close to June is when we have a stinker June followed by a good September  or at least a spell of good weather in September given it’s harder to achieve in September than June.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, MP-R said:

For me, central to the summer feel is the sun strength, the amount of sun, hours of daylight, daily maxes and the look of nature. So June wins hands down against September. The only time September comes close to June is when we have a stinker June followed by a good September  or at least a spell of good weather in September given it’s harder to achieve in September than June.

1991 was like that I think. The June was one of the worst(coldest and dullest, along with 1987), but early September that year was quite warm. The summer of 91 was poor in the early stages, but parts the second half saw a slight improvement. Remember a mix of cool and hot days during July and August that year.

Posted
17 hours ago, MP-R said:

completely agree.... summer isnt defined by one element alone, but a whole range of things.

• Like 1