Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SEPTEMBERS ... Just how good/bad are they?

mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

September isnt a month i pay much attention too, its the start of the decline, its cooling down, getting darker, and nature is shabby as plants start to slip towards dormancy.

Astronomically, its still "summer" until the equinox, not so sure why man rounded it up to fit a quarter day , but just how "summery" is September?.. Ive always found it to be a rather benign month whilst others think we can get some of the summers best weather in september.

How common are decent spells of dry, sunny, warm weather in september? im talking about 5 consecutive days plus of widespread warmth, say 23c+ . i think 2003 and 1983 had good septembers... but apart from them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The first half of September is warmer than the first half of June in London, and probably throughout the UK. There are less likely to be extremes vs June. A typical June will get up to 29-30c, while a typical September will only reach 26c.

Average temps here:

1 June: 19.6c/10.6c

15 June: 21.4c/12.1c

30 June: 23.1c/13.3c

1 September: 21.7c/12.8c

15 September: 19.9c/11.7c

30 September: 18.1c/10.5c

Dry, sunny weather is very common in the first half of the month. I find it more summery than August most years.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For me, September is quite a gentle month - not too warm and not too cool. You often get some lovely weather during the month of September, even in the second half. Nonetheless, 5 consecutive days of unseasonable warmth does become more and more difficult though. Throughout my lifetime, I can only recall 2003 ever achieving this. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

September 2011 had an amazing spell of weather at the end it was a remarkable spell - seems people above have forgotten this one ...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Astronomically, its still "summer" until the equinox, not so sure why man rounded it up to fit a quarter day 

Baffles me this one. Astronomically, summer (northern hemisphere) should actually be from 7th May to 7th August, as this is the period where the Sun is at its highest in the sky, the days are there longest etc, all astronomical orientated nothing to do with meteorology. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Baffles me this one. Astronomically, summer (northern hemisphere) should actually be from 7th May to 7th August, as this is the period where the Sun is at its highest in the sky, the days are there longest etc, all astronomical orientated nothing to do with meteorology. 

There is nothing actually special about those dates you've chosen.  The reason we use astronomical seasons is that they are well-defined.  The equinoxes and solstices are precise moments in time.  Since meteorlogical conditions lag behind the astronomical conditions, the warmest spell of weather usually occurs inbetween the summer solstic and the autumn equinox.  Also spring and summer are when days are longer than nights (I wouldn't consider 1st March spring, when nights are still longer than days).

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Earthshine said:

There is nothing actually special about those dates you've chosen.  The reason we use astronomical seasons is that they are well-defined.  The equinoxes and solstices are precise moments in time.  You can think of the equinoxes and solstices as points where the rate of change in the latitude of the sub-solar point reaches a maximum and a minimum, respectively.

There isn't to us but the ancients did recognise cross quarter days and my point is why did they not say that astronomical summer was from Beltane to Lughnasadh with the solstice as the mid point of summer? 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

i fully agree... it was for the anglo saxons, hence misummers day june 24th.

12 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

There is nothing actually special about those dates you've chosen.  The reason we use astronomical seasons is that they are well-defined.  The equinoxes and solstices are precise moments in time.  Since meteorlogical conditions lag behind the astronomical conditions, the warmest spell of weather usually occurs inbetween the summer solstic and the autumn equinox.  Also spring and summer are when days are longer than nights (I wouldn't consider 1st March spring, when nights are still longer than days).

but the seasons are natural events, nothing to do with "convienient dates" , thats just a man made thing to tidy things up.
the seasons are not defined by daylength, temperature, , equinoxes or solstices.
They define a period of time when nature reacts in a certain way.... and by March 1st spring usually has certainly started. i wouldnt call march 20th as winter, june 20th as spring, sept 20th as summer, dec 20th as autumn... look at nature now... its dying, fruits are ripe, harvests are in, leaves are begining to turn... its clearly autumn.

anyway i didnt want this to turn into an argument about the seasons but a discussion on the weather we can expect in september and whether summery spells are really that common. i was hoping for examples...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

September 2011 had an amazing spell of weather at the end it was a remarkable spell - seems people above have forgotten this one ...

I did consider mentioning 2011. But (for my location at least) it didn't get to 23 Celsius or above until the 28th. That means that some of us didn't have 5 consecutive very warm days above 23 Celsius that month. The spell did last into the early part of October but I was only thinking of September. But yes, that hot spell is certainly one to remember. 

Posted

September our most benign and Clement month. Whilst often can be warmer than June first half especially, it is our most comfortable month. Sun is losing alot of power, getting sunburnt risk decreases rapidly, humidity levels drop. Light levels drop markedly and for this reason alone it does not have a summer feel, by months end firmly autumnal.

Posted
17 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

September our most benign and Clement month. Whilst often can be warmer than June first half especially, it is our most comfortable month. Sun is losing alot of power, getting sunburnt risk decreases rapidly, humidity levels drop. Light levels drop markedly and for this reason alone it does not have a summer feel, by months end firmly autumnal.

i find humidity levels rise in settled spells.. and theres more dew and mist/fog around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If I were to look at September through rose-tinted glasses I'd probably say it's a settled month, but then we do always remember the more unusual weather conditions in a given month, especially when it times itself with something significant... like the return to school. I've personally been collecting weather data since 2002 (with the help of my grandfather in the first few years) and Septembers have certainly been a mixed bag. It was quite timely to start then as I really began to take note of what happened in what months, and initially though September was like a continuation of summer given the coincidence of a string of Septembers with such conditions. I didn't quite believe my grandfather when he told me that there have been many more poor Septembers than good... I've highlighted the years where a series of days over 23C occurred (i.e. a summery spell, rather than just a settled spell)

2002: largely very settled and the longest dry period of the year after the 09th.

2003: again largely settled, very sunny and summery up until the equinox, then dramatically cooler though staying quite sunny (23C+ 04th, 13th-17th & 20th-21st)

2004: warm and mostly sunny from the 01st-09th, then unsettled, wet and often windy thereafter (23C+ 01st-02nd & 04th-09th)

2005: warm, summery and sometimes thundery first half, cooler but not cool overall second half and more unsettled, stormy in the final week (23C+ 02nd-07th, 09th-10th,  & 13th-14th)

2006: warm, wet and thundery; the period from the 05th-12th had some good sunny spells though, as well as the 21st (23C+ 05th-06th, 10th-12th & 21st)

2007: very benign until the final week then a brief stormy period followed by cold in the final week

2008: very wet and sometimes windy first half, cool but mainly settled and often cloudy second half

2009: wet start but otherwise very dry, sometimes warm and often sunny

2010: mostly unsettled and becoming much cooler later in the month; some fine weather interspersed along the way

2011: a very turbulent and sometimes stormy month, that ended with that lovely late summery spell (quite bizarre sitting in warm weather at 8pm in the dark in the UK) (23C+ 01st-02nd & 28th-30th)

2012: warm and settled from the 01st-09th then changeable and much cooler; very wet and stormy final third; the 24th is my wettest ever day (23C+ 05th-09th)

2013: a changeable and often unsettled month, bookended by a hot start and some fine warm weather later on (23C+ 02nd-05th)

2014: exceptionally settled throughout with varying amounts of sunshine; one of the few times a good September has followed a poor August (23C+ 05th-09th & 16th-18th)

2015: some fine and sunny weather between the 05th-10th and again in the final week, with unsettled or very unsettled conditions in the middle portion of the month

2016: warm and sometimes hot in the first half of the month, then cooler but not dramatically so in the second half; quite unsettled throughout (23C+ 06th-09th & 13th-15th)

2017: cool and wet all the way until the final week when it was somewhat warmer and less wet

2018: a 'usable' month with a lot of dry weather mixed with wet days and sunny spells (23C+ 01st-03rd)

2019: cool and unremarkable first third, a very sunny and pleasant middle third, then very wet in the final third - switch the first and second thirds around and perhaps a typical September blueprint. (one solitary day at 25C on the 21st)

So quite a varied month overall, a month which I'm quite ambivalent about, with the tendency to have a warm settled spell earlier on if there is one, and much less likely after the 10th. Settled weather after midmonth, and especially the equinox, definitely feels autumnal rather than summery unless exceptional like 2011. Equally, a few days in October 2018 had a summery feel when it pushed 25C. 

September is also, on average, wetter than August, perhaps unsurprisingly with SSTs at their highest and frequent weather off the Atlantic, especially as the month progresses. It's interesting to note that, contrary to places further east in the UK, I often record my highest daily rainfall totals between mid September and late November).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

September 2012 had a warm start. I lived in Essex at the time and had just started my A-Levels so I remember it well. Pretty sure that comfortably managed five or more days of 23C+ temperatures.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

September 2016 is the warmest September I remember best.  A few 24C+ days here.  Also September 2019 had a pleasant week that coincided with my second Freshers week at the University of Exeter (oh, Freshers seems like a distant memory now ).

Posted

September is drier than August in London, both in terms of total rainfall and number of days with rain.

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

September 2012 had a warm start. I lived in Essex at the time and had just started my A-Levels so I remember it well. Pretty sure that comfortably managed five or more days of 23C+ temperatures.

Yes the first week was very pleasant. There were quite a few days of mist/cloud in the morning and sunshine in the afternoon here during that first week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

to me they are often very westerly, can be vile wet days, 20th in 2018, child of Nadine (karin) 2012

this year looks like the Atlantic will dominate as well

Posted

Looking back at previous data and memory.

2019: Average temepratues but dry and sunny, very warm spell 20/21st.

2018: Unsettled but an average month stormy spell 18th-21st noticeably chilly end.

2017: Wet, stormy, slightly duller and cooler than average first September not to reach 20.C.

2016: Very warm but quite dull very good warm spell 9th-14th, 25.C reached on the 13th with a low of just 15.C nine days exceeded 20.C.

2015: Very dry and sunny, some very cool nights throughout the month. Very warm at the end with 23.C being reached.

2014: Extremely Dry, warm but also dull a rather foggy month. Very little cool weather.

2013: Dry but unremarkable, cool spell midmonth maximum of only 10.C on the 16th.

2012: Very dry and rather sunny although very cool, -2.C was recorded on the 23rd, lowest September low in my area on record.

2011: Warm but unremarkable beside a record breaking spell right at the end with the warmest day of the year on the 30th. (25.6.C)

2010: Average but dry, unremarkable 

2009: Warm but unsettled, some wet weather in the second half.

2008: An average month but with some strong winds.

2007: Very dry and sunny, very warm in the first 10 days but noticeably cooler in the second half.

2006: Extremely warm, 26.C reached on the 21st, dry and sunny  as well.

2005: Warm, dry and sunny, wet last week.

2004: Dry but unremarkable 

2003: Very dry and sunny with plenty of warm days in the first half, cooler, unsettled second half.

2002: Extremely dry and quite warm with average sunshine.

2001: Cool

2000: Extremely wet and noticeably cool.

All in all my data has recorded many dry and settled Septembers with very little extreme weather. Aside from 2000 no September has been very wet.

Edited by Harry233
Wrong data
  • Like 1

Posted

I seem to have no recollection of quite a few Septembers for some reason.

It's like a nothing type of month for me. 

I do tend to recall some colder days in September, but also clear warm sunny days, with cooler nights. 1993 stands out as being quite cold, with a warm weekend in the second week.

1992 was another chilly one, also 1994 was cold at the start. 

I tend to remember the 90s Septembers over anything post 2000, not sure why.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I thought I was the only one who felt September was often a "nothing" type month, granted I only have Septembers 2009-2019 to go off of in terms of personal observation rather than relying on stats. 

September 2012 is one of the more interesting ones with a very nice first week and my sunniest September I've seen but deluge on the 24th. 

6th Sep 2016 had a higher overnight minimum than any summer night I've experienced. Funnily enough, this "minimum" of 18.9C was higher than any max (17C) I got throughout Sep 2015.

13th-20th Sep 2019 was easily my favourite period of September weather because of the abundant sunshine but Sep 2019 as a whole is mediocre. 

Sep 2010 is probably my favourite overall because it had some of everything, followed by Sep 2018. 

2009, 2013, 2014 and 2017 I found very boring whilst 2011 was poor though I did have a few nice days with the UK heatwave period at the end before the deluge hit me on 30th. 

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 2

Posted

Last 10 Septembers in London.

Avg max/min, rainfall, sunshine

2019: 21.2c/11.8c, 63.0mm, 156.8 hrs

2018: 20.9c/11.0c, 29.4mm, 195.0 hrs

2017: 19.2c/11.0c, 59.0mm, 120.1 hrs

2016: 22.4c/13.7c, 42.2mm, 122.1 hrs

2015: 18.6c/10.2c, 50.0mm, 162.3 hrs

2014: 21.5c/12.8c, 10.8mm, 134.6 hrs

2013: 19.7c/11.1c, 49.6mm, 118.9 hrs

2012: 20.0c/10.3c, 41.2mm, 178.9 hrs

2011: 21.3c/12.4c, 35.0mm, 161.2 hrs

2010: 19.4c/11.2c, 38.2mm, 128.7 hrs

A mixture, no real trend of warmer/cooler than average over the last decade. A mix of sunny and cloudy months too (unlike say August).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

September here is very much a transition month from Summer into winter..temps really do collapse away in the second half of September..right now we are only 4-5 weeks away from our first real snowfall and first ice days.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Last 10 Septembers in London.

Avg max/min, rainfall, sunshine

2019: 21.2c/11.8c, 63.0mm, 156.8 hrs

2018: 20.9c/11.0c, 29.4mm, 195.0 hrs

2017: 19.2c/11.0c, 59.0mm, 120.1 hrs

2016: 22.4c/13.7c, 42.2mm, 122.1 hrs

2015: 18.6c/10.2c, 50.0mm, 162.3 hrs

2014: 21.5c/12.8c, 10.8mm, 134.6 hrs

2013: 19.7c/11.1c, 49.6mm, 118.9 hrs

2012: 20.0c/10.3c, 41.2mm, 178.9 hrs

2011: 21.3c/12.4c, 35.0mm, 161.2 hrs

2010: 19.4c/11.2c, 38.2mm, 128.7 hrs

A mixture, no real trend of warmer/cooler than average over the last decade. A mix of sunny and cloudy months too (unlike say August).

That’s an impressive sunshine figure for 2018!

Posted
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

That’s an impressive sunshine figure for 2018!

The sunniest Septembers I can find for London are 1959 (209.2 hrs), 1964 (213.7 hrs), 1997 (190.3 hrs), 2003 (206.7 hrs), 2018 (195.0 hrs). I imagine 1949 would have been in that list too, but sunshine stats only exist from 1957.

Average is about 150 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

September.

Kids go back to school.

Daylight fading fast

I go on Holiday?‍♂️

More and more people at work start to moan that it's cold(which i normally get blamed for as i like the windows open because im boiling)

• Like 1