Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
15 minutes ago, R Alto said:

Sleety rain and a temp of 3c (car thermometer) near Kingston in the Purbecks.

That'll be this little puppy as it cruised by... from the predictive weather mapping...

image.thumb.png.ad0faf7f47dabe7b99cacd54bd13d93e.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Looks like another spell of rain for the IOW later. Temps far to high, next week things look marginal.  Beginning to fear the worse for this cold spell, unfortunately we have these conditions when it’s just not cold enough. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well after this non descript event is there another opportunity for the possibility of some white stuff for us below the m4 or is it all above,for a change

Posted
13 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Looks like another spell of rain for the IOW later. Temps far to high, next week things look marginal.  Beginning to fear the worse for this cold spell, unfortunately we have these conditions when it’s just not cold enough. 

As Mapantz would comment "Nothing to get excited about.." I suppose it's 'early doors' but thus far the polar COLD intrusions have not really had a marked effect on us down here. Sure it's low on temperatures, but not cold...We still have some months to go but in a GW warmed world let's not expect too much..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Non event even for the moors. Princetown sleet really wondered up to North hussars tor about 500 metres snow here but readily turned to sleet and rain. Minor accumulations. Could be more tonight. Back home at 200 metres just cold rain.

Posted
Just now, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Lashing down with rain here on the Isle of Wight!

Are we even gonna have a chance of snow down here this month? Realistically it seems unlikely especially here on the snow starved Isle of Wight!  

Hmm,this month, let me check, it's the 31st tomorrow, so the odds are getting shorter....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
Just now, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Lashing down with rain here on the Isle of Wight!

Are we even gonna have a chance of snow down here this month? Realistically it seems unlikely especially here on the snow starved Isle of Wight!  

Its snowing here in Niton!......not really, rain here too. Although I think as we go into next year we have a good chance :) 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Smartie said:

Wouldn't mind a repeat of Dec '81, that had low pressure systems just passing to the south but not too close that the cold air was pushed away from the far south 

Remember it well just before Christmas despite being only 7 at the time. What an incredible dump of snow that was. I have yet to see another quite of that magnitude which says a lot. We are long overdue for one like that in the South of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A bit of light rain as that lot in the channel just about clipped here, not bothered that it's missed given reports elsewhere. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Once the easterlies kick in next week. We will have a better chance. Especially with a few Thames streamers in play. Maybe pick up a few snow showers through this week. But 4c is forecast for us through the week. Met office for the Isle of Wight has been pretty spot on so far  

Edited by iowpompeylee
  • Like 1

Posted

I will add one more thing, the temps look better for snow for us tomorrow. -2 -3 in the windchill through the day maximum 3c but not feeling it. Any precipitation tomorrow will fall as snow! Just not sure if any will be about tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

I will add one more thing, the temps look better for snow for us tomorrow. -2 -3 in the windchill through the day maximum 3c but not feeling it. Any precipitation tomorrow will fall as snow! Just not sure if any will be about tomorrow

Hope so bruv ❄️❄️ xx

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 hour ago, camturbo said:

Well after this non descript event is there another opportunity for the possibility of some white stuff for us below the m4 or is it all above,for a change

I know many on here don't like to look too far ahead (myself included) but there's definitely plenty of interest for next week. I don't take anything seriously past +144 and we're in that timeframe now. As somebody mentioned on the previous page, there's potential for a battleground scenario. 

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I know many on here don't like to look too far ahead (myself included) but there's definitely plenty of interest for next week. I don't take anything seriously past +144 and we're in that timeframe now. As somebody mentioned on the previous page, there's potential for a battleground scenario. 

Let's hope it's a good battle then as no-one turned up for the last one

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I know many on here don't like to look too far ahead (myself included) but there's definitely plenty of interest for next week. I don't take anything seriously past +144 and we're in that timeframe now. As somebody mentioned on the previous page, there's potential for a battleground scenario. Looking at the current models they are better positioned for the 'Battleground" to take place in the Midlands. We need the colder air feed into the south for it to really be a "Battleground". Should that happen then of course we could be in with a shout, but we need a COLD air feed...

I think the "Battleground" scenario is based on a lot of factors, you need a consistent cold air feed, which currently we don't have currently as the "Battleground" looks to be more Midlands centric. IF we can get a cold feed of course all to play for,  BUT we need the COLD AIR feed first to be in place..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
4 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Bit colder further north, working outside in the Slad Valley near Stroud, little patches of snow around where I am, the odd field has half snow cover on the higher hills. Sorry it’s milder further south and west, but from a back yard point of view the last 3/4 days are like the start of some winters I remember as a child in the early 80’s - mix of cold, frost, rain, sleet, snow on the hills. Yesterday it snowed in Gloucester which is very low down, and yet it rained in Stroud. See what occurs in the next few weeks! 

I was actually in Glos yesterday (I had to go to Argos lol) and got caught in that snow! It was pretty insane, literally flakes the size of £5 notes. One of the heaviest falls I have seen in years. Only lasted about 20mins and didn’t really settle but was great to see. 

Going forward it’s looking loaded with potential. Fingers crossed for all of our region

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

You have to conclude that this system is trolling the south. 

A4C49787-848A-4A43-A1BA-A635CB2CAE24.jpeg

Timing is one of the key factors, with it cruising through here during day light hours there was little chance of anything but rain, the timing and the nocturnal temps may be be lucky for some areas as it trolls along the coast..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons

Pity about today..started well with dp  -0.4c and temp 0.5c at 8.45 but by the time precipitation arrived at 11.00 temp 2.5c and dp 1.4 = cold rain...again. Turned to wet snow for an hour or so in the afternoon as temperatures dropped back...nice to see but none settled at this level on the southern flanks of  the moor..305m asl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems the temperature is already below freezing in most places yet here it seems it won't drop any lower than 2.9°C at the moment