Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

Very light dusting overnight in Stroud. Still a bit hanging around from yesterday on the hill tops.

Thinking the stuff coming down from the north will be a sleety mix at best but hope I'm wrong.

Really tough for you guys further south so hoping you get some nice surprises over the coming days

Screenshot_20201229-102749_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
11 minutes ago, Nights King said:

We have a similar but different pattern here also -

rain.jpg.1e68f78efbf04f311c9a0ee261d72da8.jpg

I am expecting that if and when that mass of snow to the north gets here, as by then it wouldbe the warmest possible part of the day.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning all, I can excitedly report it's situation normal here. Cold enough to not want to wander around in a t shirt, no wind so comfortable in a warm woolly, coat required if/when it rains again. Frosty when I went to bed, not frosty when I got up. Landscape consistent with the average Mendip winter...lots of brown, the odd bit of grey, occasional green dot of a holly bush or fir tree, all set against a slate grey background and very squishy underfoot. The only vaguely white thing to report are clouds.

Underwhelmed? Moi?

On a brighter note, we've got loads of long tailed tits in the garden, they only ever make an appearance when cold is incoming.

Still wandering around in shorts and a T-shirt, looks like the New Year will start that way. Openly accepted that GW will mean this type of winter is more the normal than the exception..

Looking back a year, this year and this month have both exceeded rainfall amounts from last year, here's my totals for last year:

Rainfall for month = 150.4 mm >>>>>>>This month (so far)173.8 mm

Rainfall for year = 949.8 mm>>>>>>>>This year (so far) 1063.8mm

Go back 13years and the comparison looks bigger:

Rainfall for month 74.4 mm>>>>>>>This month (so far)173.8 mm

Rainfall for year 737.7 mm>>>>>>>>This year (so far) 1063.8mm

And people moaned about the previous years' wet winter!

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
16 minutes ago, Nights King said:

The fat lady is already warming up to call time on our cold spell.. 

The coldish spell (ie temps hovering around 3c - 5c at day for us) looks like continuing for the foreseeable future.  An annoying range to hover IMO, as it's very marginal for snowfall but not warm enough to totally turn off interest.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, WestSussexSnow said:

Reports of snow in selsey and bognor

That'll be the northern edge of this little puppy as it eases away in to the Channel..

image.thumb.png.5057302542bafd8ff460c8e7383a3419.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, AWD said:

The coldish spell (ie temps hovering around 3c - 5c at day for us) looks like continuing for the foreseeable future.  An annoying range to hover IMO, as it's very marginal for snowfall but not warm enough to totally turn off interest.

I could see Mendips and Cotswolds ending up with a good covering at some point in next couple of weeks but as I no longer live there and im working from Wednesday so cant drive up to friends there I doubt we will see any lower down, just hope i am wrong but looks like hills only.

I had a drive over Mendips yesterday around 11am and it was eye opening even though seen it so many times in past. It was 4.5c in Bradford on Avon and damp and then 0.5c winter wonderland on top with snow even sticking to main A37 road over the top.

• Like 2

Posted

Warning still largely in place just slight southward correction.

Posted

No storms in the summer and no snow in the winter. North Hampshire is weather purgatory. 

This vile, cold grey and damp weather is the worst winter has to offer really. I would rather it freakishly mild like nearly other winter over this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Met Office Update:

"An Atlantic frontal system looks likely to bring rain into parts of southwestern Britain on Wednesday. As this moves further east into colder air there is a chance of this rain turning to snow. The extent of any snow is very uncertain, but 2 to 5 cm could fall across a swathe of southern Wales and southern England, with a small chance of 10 to 15 cm settling in a few places, most likely on high ground above 200 metres. As the rain and snow clears on Wednesday night there is a risk of widespread ice forming on untreated surfaces."

Looks like it is all very uncertain still, people may get some surprises tomorrow evening but who knows...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Come peeps we are sounding a bit low this morning, what with COVID-19, lockdowns, Christmas past, and a warm winter....I just have to ask a greater power than Boris Johnson, WT* did we do to warrant this

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

Met Office Update:

"An Atlantic frontal system looks likely to bring rain into parts of southwestern Britain on Wednesday. As this moves further east into colder air there is a chance of this rain turning to snow. The extent of any snow is very uncertain, but 2 to 5 cm could fall across a swathe of southern Wales and southern England, with a small chance of 10 to 15 cm settling in a few places, most likely on high ground above 200 metres. As the rain and snow clears on Wednesday night there is a risk of widespread ice forming on untreated surfaces."

Looks like it is all very uncertain still, people may get some surprises tomorrow evening but who knows...

The only surprise will be our level of disappointment come a days time when we get none. 

We never learn.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

3.1°C and cloudy, but brightening up.

I'm not bothered by these small marginal, transient rain / snow events.. nothing particularly exciting about it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Happy to see a bit of falling snow on the Isle of Wight, not expecting much tomorrow night! But might be a surprise or two. Usually when you least expect it!!! Perhaps if it corrects more southward, could help the coastal towns! Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Warning still largely in place just slight southward correction.

Watch them have to correct it back north again tomorrow morning when the high res models change their minds again.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bathweatherwatcher said:

Watch them have to correct it back north again tomorrow morning when the high res models change their minds again.

It's probably a done deal now, if anything it'll end up in the English channel.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

3.1°C and cloudy, but brightening up.

I'm not bothered by these small marginal, transient rain / snow events.. nothing particularly exciting about it.

It took you long enough to jump aboard the polar express in 2010 we only see you excited once in a decade on average. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Wonder if we will get any snow from the precipitation coming down from the north.

I hope so, but chances are it's rain like it was earlier. Fingers crossed the dew-point stays at or below zero.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hope that band coming down doesn't fragment too much. Hope it can keep its energy whilst travelling over land Toward us . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

It took you long enough to jump aboard the polar express in 2010 we only see you excited once in a decade on average. 

2010 was a magnitude 10 disappointment. I don't want a repeat of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Got some brightness now, which is arguably better than chancing rain for a few minutes of white stuff, temps inevitably rising too... 1.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hope that band coming down doesn't fragment too much. Hope it can keep its energy whilst travelling over land Toward us . 

Yeah it appears to be breaking up but the intensity is still there so far.