Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
14 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

you and me both. If it was a holy grail of cold spells, surely we wouldn’t be dreading the marginal and north of m4 phrases again!! 

A North of the M4 scenario is very unlikely at this stage.  The rate things are going, north of the A303 is looking doubtful.

Posted

BS34. Damp squib.

Dont believe the hype. The gullible hoardes in the mad thread have a number of new hypesters to salivate over this Winter. Most severe January for decades, apparently. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Might be worth keeping an eye on this lot! It may break up it may not, who knows

B2B77396-C523-4BDB-B79E-BC6AE2765DB5.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I have a sinking feeling about this snow threat...  Feel it is going to miss us all together.. 

I will await the Met’s thoughts on this one when they update the warning around mid morning. But yes it’s not looking too good this morning.

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

BS34. Damp squib.

Dont believe the hype. The gullible hoardes in the mad thread have a number of new hypesters to salivate over this Winter. Most severe January for decades, apparently. 

There was never a "squib" to start with for us BB. 

There isn't really a "squib" for us on the horizon either.  Cold enough to need the heating on but not cold enough for sledging down the M32.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

A very light dusting ~an hour ago here, what's left on the floor and roofs looks pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning guys,a real mixture here,rain sleet and big chunks of wet snow.....so frustrating,just want to see settling snow and a winter wonderland...even if it was for a day....there's a slushy mess on my car......I know it's better than the crud we've had the past few years apart from March 2018.....but just want it that little bit colder....at least we're in with shout eh......☃️

Posted

The trick when going into the MOD thread is to decipher the language correctly into realistic interpretation.  Like below for example;

"most severe January in decades" equates to the south of England might see a couple of cm's of transient snowfall, some frost's are possible and Londoners will need their jumpers on.

"it's a whiteout" equates to a harsh frost at lower levels and a dusting of snow at some favoured higher level locations.

"blizzard conditions" equates to some grapeul blowing around in a soft breeze.

" feel freezing at the surface" equates to milder 850hpa temps starting to erode any colder 850hpa temps but that doesn't matter because the UK is in a dome and shielded from anything that actually dictates the weather up above.  Birdlip might hit 0c at 01:30am.

"the 850hpa temps don't matter" equates to less cold air is making inroads but I don't want to believe it.

"that would feel bitter in the wind" equates to it will feel a bit nippy on Southend pier.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, fromey said:

Might be worth keeping an eye on this lot! It may break up it may not, who knows

B2B77396-C523-4BDB-B79E-BC6AE2765DB5.jpeg

That area of precip is delivering snowfall in the Manchester area, so my friends inform me, by the time it’s moderated in temps it’ll add to the annual rainfall count here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

I’m a Met office fan, To me the temps are colder than usual, like the Met show but the temps are hovering around 5c everyday. Things can change no question. With troughs coming through etc. But atm for us on the south coast. Sleet and rain..,, 

Edited by iowpompeylee
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, South coaster said:

Starting to snow in Waterlooville but I am 500 metres above sea level on portadown hill ❄

Sorry to disappoint, but I think you mean feet- and you've rounded up a bit! ...Portsdown hill is  131m or 430 ft. But yes... much more likely to get snow over the landward side of the  hill then in Portsmouth itself.

The highest point in Hampshire is Pilot hill up near the Berkshire border at 286m or 938 feet. Butser hill, a bit up the A3 towards Petersfield is another good spot at 270m - I remember skiing down that after a huge storm back in the 1980s.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
14 minutes ago, South coaster said:

Starting to snow in Waterlooville but I am 500 metres above sea level on portadown hill ❄

Blimey you must of had some geological uplifting down there I must check house prices.. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

That area of precip is delivering snowfall in the Manchester area, so my friends inform me, by the time it’s moderated in temps it’ll add to the annual rainfall count here. 

Your right on that one! 

Posted

Nothing here not even a flake just a but of the wet clear stuff called rain in the night. Dont think it's cold enough down these parts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Very surprised Shaftesbury and Frome had heavy rain and there both quite high up but as it's Marginal doesn't mean it will 100 per cent snow.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
35 minutes ago, AWD said:

The trick when going into the MOD thread is to decipher the language correctly into realistic interpretation.  Like below for example;

"most severe January in decades" equates to the south of England might see a couple of cm's of transient snowfall, some frost's are possible and Londoners will need their jumpers on.

"it's a whiteout" equates to a harsh frost at lower levels and a dusting of snow at some favoured higher level locations.

"blizzard conditions" equates to some grapeul blowing around in a soft breeze.

" feel freezing at the surface" equates to milder 850hpa temps starting to erode any colder 850hpa temps but that doesn't matter because the UK is in a dome and shielded from anything that actually dictates the weather up above.  Birdlip might hit 0c at 01:30am.

"the 850hpa temps don't matter" equates to less cold air is making inroads but I don't want to believe it.

"that would feel bitter in the wind" equates to it will feel a bit nippy on Southend pier.

Here’s one from yesterday commenting on a precipitation chart at T+204:

“Nationwide snow event. Even though it shows rain I think it will be 100% snow.”

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any
16 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Sorry to disappoint, but I think you mean feet- and you've rounded up a bit! ...Portsdown hill is  131m or 430 ft. But yes... much more likely to get snow over the landward side of the  hill then in Portsmouth itself.

The highest point in Hampshire is Pilot hill up near the Berkshire border at 286m or 938 feet. Butser hill, a bit up the A3 towards Petersfield is another good spot at 270m - I remember skiing down that after a huge storm back in the 1980s.

Ahh my bad

• Like 1

Posted

Going back to my "Dont believe the hype" post, here's an extract from one of, if not, the most sensible and reliable posters in the mad thread, big John Holmes (posted a few mins ago in there):

Overall I would suggest we are into a spell of rather cold to near normal surface temperatures. Will the weather be unsettled or settled as the main feature beyond the next few days. It’s not very obvious which this morning. No deep cold on offer in the 6-14 day period I would suggest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Cold. Thuderstorms

Well we got wet snow here. Nice surprise thought it was going to be all rain.

• Thanks 1