Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Any reports of what this precipitation is doing!? Heading for the IOW and temps seem favourable ????

98DB233E-8674-4C08-9775-AC4D2D7F3F5A.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
8 hours ago, Pray4snow said:

I have loved learning from you guys the past few weeks. great information but please let us all pray for Plymouth to get snow 

Ha ha indeed! Think you'll struggle as even up here on the moor we are struggling to get any significant snow fall for the rest of the week!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, offerman said:

I feel your pain Rapodo as I used to live in Southampton. Was so frustrating as just inland Romsey could be having snow yet where I lived near the docks was rain ..!! Often Winchester , Basingstoke , reading would get a good dumping when all we had was rain . 

Ropodo, if it makes you feel any better it's raining here after snow was forecast. So Wednesday maybe not be quite as it's showing on those graphics you posted could be rain or snow anywhere. Nowcast will be the order of the day I feel. 

Looks like we've had rain in Shepton, I expected to see a dusting of snow this morning. Had a little yesterday though. 

Most of the really cold spells that I remember had their origins from the N/NW  gained momentum, and  eventually switched around to the E/NE. I can remember following a snow blower up through Burrington Coombe on a motorbike in early Jan 79,following the New Year's Eve blizzard. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Any reports of what this precipitation is doing!? Heading for the IOW and temps seem favourable ????

98DB233E-8674-4C08-9775-AC4D2D7F3F5A.png

It was heavy rain here in frome Somerset, then a couple of flakes! And the temps were favourable as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Always Snow.

We’ve had some fall in Swindon but literally only enough that I can see a slightly paler path than usual and maybe .5cm on the top of fences etc. Poor show.

Also, I’m currently helping a local feral cat. Couple weeks before Christmas I found he was sneaking in my window at night (windows open all year in my bedroom because I have brittle asthma and the airflow helps at night) and setting off my asthma. We’ve made him a waterproofed outdoor bed (enclosed box waterproofed with bags hot glued to it to keep wet out and filled with straw) and trying to build some kind of friendship so I can get close enough to try and grab and get to a vets for scanning and a check over etc. Anyway, I took the mesh screens off my windows last night because I feel so bad about this cat who hates humans but gets so desperate for warmth he comes in my bedroom window at night. 

so now there’s hardly any snow today AND I can’t breathe. Good one Jemma.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
7 minutes ago, fromey said:

It was heavy rain here in frome Somerset, then a couple of flakes! And the temps were favourable as well

Really strange occurrence wasn't it ! 

Posted
Just now, offerman said:

Really strange occurrence wasn't it ! 

Absolutely bizarre!

current conditions 

11826E9B-48F3-491A-9D8D-6B39E1AEDC86.jpeg

Posted
2 hours ago, offerman said:

I'll never understand the weather .

First part of the night super clear really cold thick frost .

current temp -1c  

Now raining !!!

2C5AA6AA-2516-46A9-A434-24B9ABBB1351.png

Yeah like Groundhog Day, a rinse and repeat of first thing yesterday morning. Woke up to the sound of rain!

Some in the MOD thread are complaining that it’s just not cold enough for their liking to get excited. I’m starting to understand why.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jemma Croton said:

We’ve had some fall in Swindon but literally only enough that I can see a slightly paler path than usual and maybe .5cm on the top of fences etc. Poor show.

Also, I’m currently helping a local feral cat. Couple weeks before Christmas I found he was sneaking in my window at night (windows open all year in my bedroom because I have brittle asthma and the airflow helps at night) and setting off my asthma. We’ve made him a waterproofed outdoor bed (enclosed box waterproofed with bags hot glued to it to keep wet out and filled with straw) and trying to build some kind of friendship so I can get close enough to try and grab and get to a vets for scanning and a check over etc. Anyway, I took the mesh screens off my windows last night because I feel so bad about this cat who hates humans but gets so desperate for warmth he comes in my bedroom window at night. 

so now there’s hardly any snow today AND I can’t breathe. Good one Jemma.

Oh no ! You poor thing , both you abd the cat. 
Really sympathise with you as my mum has severe asthma . Can only walk one end of the house to the other and literally struggles to breath .

nice one you though for helping the cat at your own sacrifice .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 hour ago, Rapodo said:

Living on the Coast drives me bonkers when you see things like this! North Dorset looks good as normal though. Wednesdays outlook.

20201229_061602.thumb.jpg.ad56100f788b4b30d15319eccdbca963.jpg

I would caveat this as being a best case scenario amongst the high Res models this morning.  Plenty take the low and associated PPN further south (ie Somerset, Dorset southwards) and/or give more rain less snow.

Best to expect the worse but hope for the best.  As it stands, if anywhere is going to see some settling snowfall, I'd plump for Mendips and Salisbury Plain, but as per normal, radar watching will be required.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, fromey said:

Absolutely bizarre!

current conditions 

11826E9B-48F3-491A-9D8D-6B39E1AEDC86.jpeg

Thanks for those stats Fromey, it wasn't even ice rain either !! Just normal heavy cold rain !  Never seen that before with all those stats ! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

Yeah like Groundhog Day, a rinse and repeat of first thing yesterday morning. Woke up to the sound of rain!

Some in the MOD thread are complaining that it’s just not cold enough for their liking to get excited. I’m starting to understand why.

You and me both .  We need some good uppers from Asia please . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & T-Storms

This is what kills me about living in the Poole, Dorset snow shield, literally 9 miles up the road in Ringwood, they have whiteout conditions...jeez they even have snow showers in Bournemouth

Posted

Thanks for the reply’s, gutted! Thought we might see a flake or two on the iow... the hunt goes on 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & T-Storms
1 hour ago, Rapodo said:

Living on the Coast drives me bonkers when you see things like this! North Dorset looks good as normal though. Wednesdays outlook.

20201229_061602.thumb.jpg.ad56100f788b4b30d15319eccdbca963.jpg

Yet with today’s occluded front it is snowing heavily in Ringwood, and Raining in Shaftesbury which is at 709ft ASL...I don’t get it

Edited by Dorset_mist
Typos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Wow just woke up to big flakes!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorset_mist said:

Yet with today’s occluded front is snowing heavily in Ringwood, and Raining in Shaftesbury with is at 709ft ASL...I don’t get it

It is all very odd I must say. Its rain here in Poole the temps shot up as the band approached so alot of mixing out going on. The Sea temps are warm this year too I believe. 

Edited by Rapodo

Posted

20 mins of decent snowfall here (nr Downton, South Wilts) again on the back edge.

Edited by jtay

Posted

Still favourable conditions. But looking at some of you’re conditions I’m expecting rain any minute now 

FF612D98-3C85-4503-B0FE-4D13C11F3962.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I have a sinking feeling about this snow threat...  Feel it is going to miss us all together.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Lighter snow now as the heaviest ppn moves away, but it has left a nice dusting on the roofs/cars/fences.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

I have a sinking feeling about this snow threat...  Feel it is going to miss us all together.. 

you and me both. If it was a holy grail of cold spells, surely we wouldn’t be dreading the marginal and north of m4 phrases again!! 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dorset_mist said:

Yet with today’s occluded front it is snowing heavily in Ringwood, and Raining in Shaftesbury which is at 709ft ASL...I don’t get it

Shaftesbury didn't get the heavier precip, which rattled over Cranborne Chase and through here and Ringwood.  That's when we got the snow. Started as rain.

Posted
25 minutes ago, offerman said:

Thanks for those stats Fromey, it wasn't even ice rain either !! Just normal heavy cold rain !  Never seen that before with all those stats ! 

I think there is warm air boundary some where aloft, I’m hoping now that this rain has cleared the winds apparently are due to switch to the north which may drag in colder air aloft! 
hoping is the the word

• Like 1