Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Cold. Thuderstorms
29 minutes ago, chris55 said:

I’m learning GEM is actually right up there with EC, UKMO and GFS up to 120h in fact I think it was the most accurate model recently. 

Don’t discount it  

From Matt H on Twitter re GEM short range, not related to our region just highlighting GEM as a worthwhile model.

57826D24-917C-4B67-A471-7DC3351134A3.thumb.png.7c066d95c25f30fcad7f0fa8dda8e716.png

Thanks for the info. Been a while since I have been on here checking charts again. Nice to hear GEM is doing well in the short range. 48 hours to go, hopefully it’s near the GEM then. EURO4 having none of it yet. Also worries me it will go to far south, does happen a lot of the time. Hopefully get a better idea tomorrow, but as always it will most likely be a nowcast radar watch.

Edited by Smokeone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, well it didn't get any better here today, the very slight dusting hung around until lunchtime before melting. We've had a few showers that showed promise, especially mid morning with some huge flakes thrown in but they quickly passed. Here's hoping the rest of the week is better than this cold, grey day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 hours ago, iceman1991 said:

Should of come round mine would of gave you a nice cup of warm mulled cider

I should have driven to see it as only 20-30 mins away.  Which part of SP was the best for snow ?

I know Westbury just beyond , or the areas after before  Shrewton ( coming from a36 direction across ) chitterne have tank crossings and assuming that's part of the plains there too? 
Also 303 runs through the plains as well but there's so many areas I don't know . Which part in general are people thinking of when they speak of SP. Thanks . 

Posted
26 minutes ago, offerman said:

I should have driven to see it as only 20-30 mins away.  Which part of SP was the best for snow ?

I know Westbury just beyond , or the areas after before  Shrewton ( coming from a36 direction across ) chitterne have tank crossings and assuming that's part of the plains there too? 
Also 303 runs through the plains as well but there's so many areas I don't know . Which part in general are people thinking of when they speak of SP. Thanks . 

Hi offerman yes sp fair big old place yes your on about other side  but I’m near shipton  Bellinger  if you heard of that ? which is right on it which is just of the 303  And  we are about 400 meters above  sea level so you find you’ll go to Andover local town here about 6 miles away will be raining there but here will be snowing and lying as higher up which always helps we  do alright here when there’s a snow event Normally hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Tomorrow

zz.gif

Wednesday

zz1.thumb.gif.c1c59781ad9e0873d624682741a81cff.gif

Two bites of the cherry for some of us hopefully.

Edited by MidnightSnow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I've found some bedtime material for us West Country folk to fall asleep dreamng about;

48-574UK.thumb.gif.51137268a5d67b3414dfc42ca4a45a33.gif

Just for fun of course, highly likely to be much more nuanced than that.

• Like 7

Posted

34 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Tomorrow

zz.gif

Wednesday

zz1.thumb.gif.c1c59781ad9e0873d624682741a81cff.gif

Two bites of the cherry for some of us hopefully.

Latest GFS run also showing something similar for our region tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Snow early doors here on dartmoor today. Only really on ground over 400 metres and soon melted by lunch. Currently a balmy 4.3c and raining locally. Can't see much in the models for some decent snow here this week dew points and air temperature just a bit too high.

20201228_090119.thumb.jpg.9f3311ebdcc85caaecce314845edb3b8.jpg

20201228_101618.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It’s a frosty one out there now and probably icy given the lingering dampness. -0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
26 minutes ago, AWD said:

I've found some bedtime material for us West Country folk to fall asleep dreamng about;

48-574UK.thumb.gif.51137268a5d67b3414dfc42ca4a45a33.gif

Just for fun of course, highly likely to be much more nuanced than that.

3 bites of the cherry 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

No snow but plenty of rain here today although most of it was light. Reached 6.9°C, currently 1.6°C

Posted

spacer.png

The small feature over Anglesey has been pepping up last hour or so and looks a touch more East than progged. Don't know if it will have the legs to give a dusting in the morning?

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Interesting, very interesting. 

Ian Fergusson

@fergieweather

Replying to 

@TheSnowDreamer

@MarkyDub

and 2 others

...or just a resigned acceptance that trying to sort varied UKMO cold-style hazard warnings plastered within my TV graphics may become a Groundhog Day affair into the coming weeks...

6:13 PM · Dec 28, 2020·Twitter for Android

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'll never understand the weather .

First part of the night super clear really cold thick frost .

current temp -1c  

Now raining !!!

2C5AA6AA-2516-46A9-A434-24B9ABBB1351.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, iceman1991 said:

Hi offerman yes sp fair big old place yes your on about other side  but I’m near shipton  Bellinger  if you heard of that ? which is right on it which is just of the 303  And  we are about 400 meters above  sea level so you find you’ll go to Andover local town here about 6 miles away will be raining there but here will be snowing and lying as higher up which always helps we  do alright here when there’s a snow event Normally hope this helps

Thanks Iceman, appreciate your reply . 
I have not heard of that place. Incredible ,as I didn't know either that parts of SP reached that altitude of 400metres.  At least I know where to go in such marginal conditions . 
where I live here has its own microclimate too. Myself and some posters here experience this a lot between Frome, Westbury , Chapmanslade, Warminster , Trowbridge , Bath,Shepton, Radstock Areas. 

also I didn't know SP extended right toward Andover way.

that shows the vastness of SP.  

I'm intrigued now as to how big the whole area actually is!! Will get on maps satellite to have a look .

cheers again for your reply .

Edited by offerman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
14 minutes ago, offerman said:

current temp -1c  

Now raining !!!

Yeah nor me, I'm a bit baffled tbh. A lot of the hi-res forecast models had this area of precipitation to be snow so I'm a touch disappointed. I don't have any idea why the temp and dew-point have both shot up since earlier in the night.

• Like 1

Posted

Now changed to sleet outside but symbol on app showing changed to snow . 
Hopefully the outside will catch up to the App. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
17 minutes ago, offerman said:

current temp -1c  

Now raining !!!

We had the same problem here in Yate. Very cold and frosty when I woke up so I was sure that batch of showers moving in would be snow but it was rain.

Anyway not to worry, I have a feeling this winter is going to offer many more snow opportunities, with many of the pros, not just the model output thread, coming to the view that this could be a cold and maybe memorable winter. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, John88B said:

We had the same problem here in Yate. Very cold and frosty when I woke up so I was sure that batch of showers moving in would be snow but it was rain.

Anyway not to worry, I have a feeling this winter is going to offer many more snow opportunities, with many of the pros, not just the model output thread, coming to the view that this could be a cold and maybe memorable winter. Fingers crossed.

Thanks John.

even my app is very confused

Is heavy rain outside now. 
app says it's snowing . 

let's hope john you're right and this does end up a memorable winter for the right reasons .

deep cold despite our Atlantic Greenland block seems to me at present to be more over Asia , bit let's hope some can spread over our direction too over the coming weeks . 

6DCF8D71-13E8-4368-908A-D19791CC9BF6.png

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Living on the Coast drives me bonkers when you see things like this! North Dorset looks good as normal though. Wednesdays outlook.

20201229_061602.thumb.jpg.ad56100f788b4b30d15319eccdbca963.jpg

I feel your pain Rapodo as I used to live in Southampton. Was so frustrating as just inland Romsey could be having snow yet where I lived near the docks was rain ..!! Often Winchester , Basingstoke , reading would get a good dumping when all we had was rain . 

Ropodo, if it makes you feel any better it's raining here after snow was forecast. So Wednesday maybe not be quite as it's showing on those graphics you posted could be rain or snow anywhere. Nowcast will be the order of the day I feel. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all.

finally have a few flakes falling now, not many but a few