Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Horrible this morning but soon cleared early this afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

Squall line going through here with lashing torrential rain and very gusty winds. More impressive than last weekend’s efforts.

Yes I thought today's squall line was better than last weekends too.  It came through earlier than forecast and I was out running in it.  Loved it, but never been so drowned before! 

Lasted longer than a normal squall line too

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wet and windy this morning followed by a mostly dry and bright afternoon. Reached 14.7°C, currently 12.7°C

Posted

8.7mm of rainy showers total yesterday.
That brought the October total to 170.4mm

A little rain early morning of 2mm making the yearly total to 600.4mm
The SW wind is 12-16mph this morning with a few 25-30mph gusts.
A low of 12c at 3.30am, now 15.7c, 1003.7 hPa

Brightening up nicely at the moment.
Forecasts have us for a drizzly and windy spell from 7pm tonight until midday tomorrow with gusts of 40-48mph, so seems the worst is not coming our way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry and cloudy this morning but wet this afternoon with rain for a time followed by drizzle. 15.0°C

Posted

A wet October with 189.9 mm rainfall but Surprisingly it is not my wettest month of the year, with February beating it at 195.5 mm! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Rather windy out there now, currently 15.1°C which is the highest all day.

Posted

Dull with drizzle for a lot of the day and increasingly windy, especially this evening. Reached 15.3°C, currently 15.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

That is totally weird, radar is showing nothing,  yet I've just had a deluge. 2.4mm fell in a matter of minutes,  really gusty winds  yet nothing on the radar.

Posted
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

That is totally weird, radar is showing nothing,  yet I've just had a deluge. 2.4mm fell in a matter of minutes,  really gusty winds  yet nothing on the radar.

Steve, I was just about to reply 10 minutes ago saying I thought the radar looked glitchy this morning with showers appearing then disappearing when it absolutely poured down here too. So it’s happened to you in WSM and here in Warminster too!

The shower should be on the 07.15 radar update but there’s nothing nearer than out in the Bristol Channel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Same here too. Squall came through again at 6am waking me up, yet nothing on the radar.

Posted
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

29 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Steve, I was just about to reply 10 minutes ago saying I thought the radar looked glitchy this morning with showers appearing then disappearing when it absolutely poured down here too. So it’s happened to you in WSM and here in Warminster too!

The shower should be on the 07.15 radar update but there’s nothing nearer than out in the Bristol Channel!

11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Same here too. Squall came through again at 6am waking me up, yet nothing on the radar.

Squall line has suddenly appeared on the 07.50 radar! Sky has cleared and temperature dropped since it’s ghostly passing!

Posted

It has remained just over 15°C all night.. currently 14.6°C, windy with some faint brightness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Squall line has suddenly appeared on the 07.50 radar! Sky has cleared and temperature dropped since it’s ghostly passing!

How bizarre. Thought I was cracking up when I checked first time...

A marked temperature drop either side. 15C before, down to 10.6C since.

Posted

Got dark all of a sudden, and even windier. It has now cleared to blue sky. 14.7°C at: 08:12... 12.2°C at: 08:35

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Must have been a glitch then!

Posted

Yep, I checked the radar before leaving the house at 7:30. Nothing doing.

Left the butcher's at 8ish and it was chucking it down. Didn't last long, but it was much darker to the North and West.

Posted

The radars been having issues for a few days now as it wasn’t showing the rain properly on Friday. 

Dry and sunny now, still a bit breezy but nothing like last night. Temperature slowly dropping as expected. 13.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, hope you're all keeping well, hopefully still have jobs and are not being driven too demented with the prospect of another lockdown.

I'm moving in the next few weeks, still local to here but up on the Mendip plateau and 260m asl. That elevation and the increased chance of snow had absolutely nothing to do with the decision, zilch, nada, pinky promise....  The weather  can be a bit more extreme up there (all weather) so with that in mind, I thought it could be interesting to keep more of an eye on it than looking out the window. So, can any of you clever folk recommend a weather station? Not vast amounts of money, definitely not too technical, just your average idiot proof weather station. Any suggestions?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
48 minutes ago, jethro said:

So, can any of you clever folk recommend a weather station? Not vast amounts of money, definitely not too technical, just your average idiot proof weather station. Any suggestions?

Hi Jethro!

Good to see you back.

Are you looking for one that records wind & rain as well as temps?

Posted

Can I ask a tricky question?

I live 25 miles west of Salisbury, Wilts. We get shelter from the prevailing weather from Dartmoor and Exmoor. North West we get shelter from the south Welsh mountains.

In the event of showers, some days, the high ground takes out a majority of the showers and other days it seems to make little difference. How's that? Is it the Barometer or something else??

Sorry to ask but I rely on my weather radar a lot and a bit more info would help my outdoor work

Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hi Jethro!

Good to see you back.

Are you looking for one that records wind & rain as well as temps?

Hello and thank you. I have been periodically checking in but there's been nothing exciting to report from around here.

I think recording wind would be good, it's quite an exposed area, not a garden fence to be seen for miles, it's all hedges and stone walls for good reason. Not bothered about rain, dry, a bit damp and piddling down covers it for me. So I suppose temps, dew point and wind speed/gusts are what I'm after.