Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

111.0mm of rain has fallen since Friday 12 am here. Highest rainfall event ever recorded at my station. 

Still going as we speak.

Posted
4 hours ago, Lyn-M said:

Best not to pick them wet unless you can deal with them immediately or they will go soggy!  I always used to wait for a frost when I lived in the Chilterns, but since we've been down here if I'd waited for a frost some years I'd never have picked them.  You can always put them in the freezer for a few days to simulate frost.  Best of luck!

All done. Picked 2KG of sloes, so had to buy some more gin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
18 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Just over 30mm since around 09.00 this morning.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that.

Would it be ok to post the daily totals for last Wednesday 

Thursday eve and night 

Friday and Friday night 

Saturday and Saturday night 

and today. 

Be interested to see the grand total we have had here as that will include the extreme streamer we had that lasted all day in all of this. 

Posted

So far today 28.8 mm (1.13 in.) at 16:44 and still raining..that pushes the month so far up 125.6mm

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Just been out in the garden doing some tidying  up of the neighbours treefall in our garden. Things now looking soggy, and all the containers I leave around the garden in the summer to catch the rain are full, of course nothing is shouting right now that they want a drink! I think we have now bottomed out just under 30mm @29.2mm for the day, whilst my vantage vue seems to think 16mm for the day...hmm methinks its broken(brand new too)..

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

It hasn't stopped raining at any point here since Thursday evening. There have been a couple of instances when it looked like it might dry up for a bit with some brighter skies on the horizon yesterday and today at about 3pm, but instead it has just kept going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather

what a wet weekend it’s been. can’t remember the last time it was this wet. we can only dream that this pattern comes back nearer december but with cold enough uppers to support snow country wide!! we would be buried! 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
3 hours ago, jtay said:

All done. Picked 2KG of sloes, so had to buy some more gin.

Well done!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, offerman said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that.

Would it be ok to post the daily totals for last Wednesday 

Thursday eve and night 

Friday and Friday night 

Saturday and Saturday night 

and today. 

Be interested to see the grand total we have had here as that will include the extreme streamer we had that lasted all day in all of this. 

I actually took to emptying my gauge at random times because I was worried it might overflow overnight!

Totals emptied since Wednesday...

Thursday morning 29mm

Friday evening  22mm

Saturday morning 20mm

Saturday evening 30mm

This evening 21mm

122mm since Wednesday tea time! We seemed to miss the heaviest overnight last night and most of this morning.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
21 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The forecast is for it to be dry here for the rest of the night until lunchtime tomorrow, when the Amber warning ends. Just 13mm has fallen within the Amber, yet 48mm can fall in 8 hours and only constitutes a yellow.

Yesterday (early) morning's UKV run backed up the Amber warning issued after. However, a few hours later, the UKV changed significantly, which led me to post yesterday saying they may have been hasty with the Amber warning.

24hr totals:

289051234_Screenshot2020-10-03234957.thumb.png.9e7246c0838be68e1163e0668a786389.png

I agree, this seems to be the case these days, they are over cautious which is leading to people taking no notice of these warnings!

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Just been out in the garden doing some tidying  up of the neighbours treefall in our garden. Things now looking soggy, and all the containers I leave around the garden in the summer to catch the rain are full, of course nothing is shouting right now that they want a drink! I think we have now bottomed out just under 30mm @29.2mm for the day, whilst my vantage vue seems to think 16mm for the day...hmm methinks its broken(brand new too)..

Is the Vantage Vue higher up and also its very easy to clean or replace the rain tipping spoon if its faulty?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

10.8mm from todays rain. 87.4mm in the first 4 days of this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, snow,

October rain from Storm Alex has seen 85.6mm measured in my Vantage Vue.

If i include Sept 30th, which turned out to be the wettest day in this unsettled period, it totals 123.7mm. 

Posted

Morning All, after an overnight low of 6.2°C at: 06:34 things are warming slowly, currently 7.5°C RH97 % and NO measured rainfall (yet) today..partly cloudy, but at least the cloud base is a little higher today

image.thumb.png.71529b13f7f006d6d72e25d741f69f91.png

Posted

Yesterdays rain was 20mm.
So far October has given us 97mm
The forecasts yesterday had us for wind gusts of 35-43mph yesterday, but wind was 12-16mph with gusts of 18-23mph. 

No rain here since 6pm yesterday.
A low of 9.8c at midnight.
Now 11.7c, 995.0 hPa, SW wind 4-8mph 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
13 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I actually took to emptying my gauge at random times because I was worried it might overflow overnight!

Thursday morning 29mm

Friday evening  22mm

Saturday morning 20mm

Saturday evening 30mm

This evening 21mm

122mm since Wednesday tea time! We seemed to miss the heaviest overnight last night and most of this morning.

Cheers Andy for that. A lot by our standards in this country . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

4 Degrees warmer today and the sunshines. 14.7c.

Posted

Friday to Sunday rainfall totals came in at 114.4mm, with 56mm falling on Friday alone; making that the wettest day I've ever recorded locally. My October average is around 84mm over the past 10 years, with the nearest Met station recording an average of 89mm for the month of October. Not bad for 3 days work!

Already warmer than the high yesterday with mainly sunny skies, which should help things begin to dry out.

Currently 13.1°C with mostly sunny skies. Winds light from the NW. Soil moisture sensor up to 49%.

Posted
16 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Thursday morning 29mm

Friday evening  22mm

Saturday morning 20mm

Saturday evening 30mm

This evening 21mm

I collected 136mm including Wednesday up until Sunday afternoon. Little bit of extra altitude helped I expect. The soil was pretty dry on Tuesday so we did need it !

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry so far and it was sunny earlier but it’s clouded over now. 15.2°C

Posted

Not so dry now with drizzle for a time before heavier rain arrived. 13.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Damp and breezy this afternoon after some brightness this morning. 

Got to 14.2°C at: 13:02... currently 12.9°C

Posted

Sunny for most of the morning but cloudy for the rest of the day with rain at times. Somehow I'm yet to record 100mm this month, currently at 89.6mm.

Reached 15.5°C, currently 12.6°C

Posted

Morning All, after an overnight low of 11.5°C at: 07:30 currently 12.8°C and some sunshine yet partly cloudy showing nicely on the beachcam this morning with a shower just south of Swanage clearly visible

image.thumb.png.cf12a670dab3a0dc8781edd915eac5b8.png

Showing nicely on the radar

image.thumb.png.088cef6c28818e76e5537e076f1f21ed.png