Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/09/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Reached 12.0°C, currently 9.5°C

Posted
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Still solid persistent heavy rain here in Frome as it has been non stop all day . 

Im sure today's rain along with tonight and tomorrow proabably further totals over 50mm on top of Andys figures for last night , Friday and Wednesday a totals . 

Very wet week indeed after prolonged dry weather . 

Just over 30mm since around 09.00 this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Passed 40mm for the day now. 74.8mm for the month already. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Mark Parsons said:

I agree with that, the low is further south which is dragging the worst of the rain further east with it, there is always the possibility the low will move north to where it is forecast to be.......however the potential in my opinion has passed in this part of the world, something which is more common than the events that are predicted these days!!

The forecast is for it to be dry here for the rest of the night until lunchtime tomorrow, when the Amber warning ends. Just 13mm has fallen within the Amber, yet 48mm can fall in 8 hours and only constitutes a yellow.

Yesterday (early) morning's UKV run backed up the Amber warning issued after. However, a few hours later, the UKV changed significantly, which led me to post yesterday saying they may have been hasty with the Amber warning.

24hr totals:

289051234_Screenshot2020-10-03234957.thumb.png.9e7246c0838be68e1163e0668a786389.png

Posted

37.3 mm for yesterday, making 97.2mm for the month to date. Raining steadily as I write. Astonishing, for here - the October long term average is 90mm for the month.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Ended with 43.2mm which is much higher than the previous record on my station for the wettest day.

Reached 13.4°C, currently 9.6°C

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The forecast is for it to be dry here for the rest of the night until lunchtime tomorrow, when the Amber warning ends. Just 13mm has fallen within the Amber, yet 48mm can fall in 8 hours and only constitutes a yellow.

Yesterday (early) morning's UKV run backed up the Amber warning issued after. However, a few hours later, the UKV changed significantly, which led me to post yesterday saying they may have been hasty with the Amber warning.

24hr totals:

289051234_Screenshot2020-10-03234957.thumb.png.9e7246c0838be68e1163e0668a786389.png

Can confirm for locale that model us not far off. 89mm of rain has fallen since Thursday evening, with over 45mm falling overnight and this evening. 

No Met office amber here but flooding is minimal at the moment and rivers are doing well. Expect that to change tomorrow as that water comes off the South Downs overnight and into tomorrow.

Posted
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I don't understand why they are keeping the Amber warning going for places further West? The rain is light and beginning to peter out. It's pretty obvious where the Amber warning should be!

Yeah, we've had 15.4mm in the last 47 hours. Not really worthy of a yellow warning let alone amber. Although I was never convinced here, I don't want to complain about the initial warning as dynamic situations like this are hard to model/forecast exactly, 

However, yesterday evening when they extended the warning until 12:00 today I'd have taken the opportunity to remove my area.. it was clear the rain had pretty much stopped here and indeed we've had 0.0mm overnight. Their own forecast had no rain until 12:00 today ironically.

On the other hand, the area around London-Reading has had loads again overnight, the most in England, and some of that area isn't even in a yellow warning.

Just feels a little bit lazy or like they aren't really monitoring it in real time (especially as they are based less than 10 miles away from here), or that there's an inertia to remove warnings once issued.

People around here will think well they got that wrong again.. even though the models didn't really get it wrong.

Posted

More rain today, the running total;
4mm Wednesday
5mm Thursday
37mm Friday
35mm Saturday.

From midnight to 2am about 7mm, then stopped.
Just started in last few hours with light rain for another 1mm, so 8mm so far today.
A low of 10.7c at 4am, now 10.9c, 983.2 hPa
WSW wind has picked up since 6am, 12-16mph, 20-25mph gusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

To be fair, on the western edge of the amber warning here we had 24.0mm of rain yesterday and it is hammering down again now with similar totals expected today looking at the radar (this is all on top of the 20mm that fell on Friday). Watching the radar yesterday there seemed to be localised heavier areas within the main band that seemed to linger in individual places, maybe justifying the amber. I think though it should have been extended further east as it looks like places east of the amber warning area did get a deluge aswell.

Just as a side note, has anyone else been unable to open the further details tab on the amber warning? I've not been able to for this whole event.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Another foul morning. Three in a row now. It’s also not been above 10C today.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Just as a side note, has anyone else been unable to open the further details tab on the amber warning? I've not been able to for this whole event.

Is that via the app or the mobile website after you click further details?

Same thing happens to me.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

35.0mm in the 24 hours to 09.00GMT today, that makes a cumulative total in the last four days of 109.1mm and it's still raining.

@jtay.....got my sloes about 10 days ago, they are colouring the gin nicely....

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

35.0mm in the 24 hours to 09.00GMT today, that makes a cumulative total in the last four days of 109.1mm and it's still raining.

@jtay.....got my sloes about 10 days ago, they are colouring the gin nicely....

Nice. I was waiting for a frost, which we've now had. Apparently, that's a thing??

I might wander over there later.

Posted

Morning All, and so it continues, yesterdays' total was 43mm and we've added another 24mm to that today, so far we are at 121mm for the month, and it's still got more to add today I think..temperature wise not overly warm at 9.6°C with a light breeze in from the SW..Meanwhile a couple of folks in the surf hoping for the best..

image.thumb.png.8f8ec456dc2497818824652846b82f32.png

Posted
44 minutes ago, jtay said:

Nice. I was waiting for a frost, which we've now had. Apparently, that's a thing??

I might wander over there later.

Best not to pick them wet unless you can deal with them immediately or they will go soggy!  I always used to wait for a frost when I lived in the Chilterns, but since we've been down here if I'd waited for a frost some years I'd never have picked them.  You can always put them in the freezer for a few days to simulate frost.  Best of luck!

44 minutes ago, jtay said:

Posted

7.4mm here today so far with light rain still falling. Feels cool at only 10.8°C

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Is that via the app or the mobile website after you click further details?

Same thing happens to me.

Mobile website, not tried on my laptop or the app to be fair. It's only been an issue with this warning, not happened before. Odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Here at Broadmayne we have a total of 85mm since it started raining here on thursday evening with the rain gauge continuing to fill again after this morrnings reading.

Posted
1 minute ago, Somerset Squall said:

Mobile website, not tried on my laptop or the app to be fair. It's only been an issue with this warning, not happened before. Odd.

Same.

If you click the burger menu and then tap warnings, then click a warning from the map, clicking further details seems to work.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Same.

If you click the burger menu and then tap warnings, then click a warning from the map, clicking further details seems to work.

So it does! Thankyou :). Typical our warning has expired now haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Yucky, cool and wet. Got down to 7.2°C overnight but not much variation this afternoon, only just above 9°C