Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi Good Afternoon all

Hope everyone is well and safe been a frosty start in Walthamstow today but quite a bit of cloud floating around now. Some of the high level cloud is the source of that low pressure that is going to miss us.

The BBC have been up and down with their forecasts this week seems to change day by day. As I mentioned in my post yesterday a few days ago they were predicting quite a few snow showers to cross our region in time for new year, but that is no longer the case.Also I think what the programmed forecasts are streaming today is behind to what we are currently seeing in the models today so fingers crossed if the models are correct with this Easterly I would imagine the live forcasts will catch up with it in the next few days. So I would not worry about the BBC forecasts just yet unless they are seeing something different from their high resolution data that the models have not picked up, but to my understanding I think their live forecasts are behind the current models unless they update this evening.

Lets hope we do get these easterlies as I have always thought they are the best for our region. 

Hope everyone stays safe

kind regards

I remember before the BFTE in 2018 their temperature forecasts where 5 to 6 degrees and they kept going on about it being dry. They only changed their tune the day before and even then they still had the temps 2 to 3 degrees above freezing instead of sub-zero. So, hopefully, they are being similarly inaccurate now.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, snowblind said:

I remember before the BFTE in 2018 their temperature forecasts where 5 to 6 degrees and they kept going on about it being dry. They only changed their tune the day before and even then they still had the temps 2 to 3 degrees above freezing instead of sub-zero. So, hopefully, they are being similarly inaccurate now.

Beeb will sit on the fence as long as they can. Their bottoms must be riddled with splinters.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi Good Afternoon all

Hope everyone is well and safe been a frosty start in Walthamstow today but quite a bit of cloud floating around now. Some of the high level cloud is the source of that low pressure that is going to miss us.

The BBC have been up and down with their forecasts this week seems to change day by day. As I mentioned in my post yesterday a few days ago they were predicting quite a few snow showers to cross our region in time for new year, but that is no longer the case.Also I think what the programmed forecasts are streaming today is behind to what we are currently seeing in the models today so fingers crossed if the models are correct with this Easterly I would imagine the live forcasts will catch up with it in the next few days. So I would not worry about the BBC forecasts just yet unless they are seeing something different from their high resolution data that the models have not picked up, but to my understanding I think their live forecasts are behind the current models unless they update this evening.

Lets hope we do get these easterlies as I have always thought they are the best for our region. 

Hope everyone stays safe

kind regards

many thanks for your replies, lets hope they are wrong and everybody sees some snow especially after the year we have all gone through.

happy new year to you all 

• Like 2

Posted

No snow reports in the south west thread, rain reported on Dartmoor.

Rather it stay dry than rain again - looks like we dodged a bullet there fellow Southeasterners.

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I’ll try again loll 

latest radar

48E8BDC4-E803-40F1-9478-EFF16F58BDF0.thumb.png.ab7d149506c672d411dc8f79607759f9.png

12z ukv run for 15:00 and 19:00

D71F91B4-A4C9-4C37-9865-157023F25642.thumb.png.a5468e8dac64fa9591f143abfeb05a06.pngE4A8FB4A-EBBD-4A44-91E7-6D63C18DF3A3.thumb.jpeg.104997a9a504713e9363a7547aa6f1d7.jpeg

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I’ll try again loll 

latest radar

48E8BDC4-E803-40F1-9478-EFF16F58BDF0.thumb.png.ab7d149506c672d411dc8f79607759f9.png

12z ukv run for 15:00 and 19:00

D71F91B4-A4C9-4C37-9865-157023F25642.thumb.png.a5468e8dac64fa9591f143abfeb05a06.pngE4A8FB4A-EBBD-4A44-91E7-6D63C18DF3A3.thumb.jpeg.104997a9a504713e9363a7547aa6f1d7.jpeg

That’s not UKV that’s NetWx-SR which I’m told is a blend of NMM and GFS higher res than standard GFS.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That’s not UKV that’s NetWx-SR which I’m told is a blend of NMM and GFS higher res than standard GFS.

Nope it’s UKV despite saying sr 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Hi everyone, unfortunately I’ve misplaced my weather station!! I’m sorting my deceased parents house and carrying it around there, I’ve put it down and  I think I’ve piled about 20 full rubbish bags on it!!  So I’m going by the nearest weather station i can find!! So here in Farnham, Surrey (so pretty far westits 

Temp 4 degrees  

dp 0 

it’s very grey and feeling cold out! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Hi all, hope you had a good Christmas...what it could be anyway!

Finally a bit of excitement to watch over the next few weeks, I was really hoping for a White Christmas or New Years Eve snow falling at Midnight whilst watching the Fireworks ☺️

10 days ago from Christmas Day we were in with a shot 

10 days ago we were in with a shot for a snowy tomorrow 

Moral of the story. 10 day charts are pure entertainment 

10 days on, another snowless 7 days awaits 

You get the picture 

48 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

That is the absolute bare minimum of what we’ll need. A real possibility of nasty, wet winteriness with that set up. She could be right... How soon can we get forecast DPs for the same period? 

On the coast maybe and within 15 miles of the coast.. 

I've noticed of my weather station (got it for Christmas..) that from around 6-8pm onwards it's been conductive for snow even in the setup we are in now. This doesn't even factor in height or evaporative cooling.. I'm 60ft above sea level here in the Thames Valley.. 

Remember it takes special conditions to get snow even in mainland UK. It takes something exceptional to get laying snow on the coast (usually) simply because the rule of thumb is "in summer the sea keeps the coast cool, in winter it keeps it warm" 

Trying to forecast snow events and temperatures beyond 48hrs is proving difficult at the moment.. Let alone a week! 

Posted
43 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi Good Afternoon all

Hope everyone stays safe

kind regards

I am an old Walthamstow Boy, and remember  the winter of 1962/63...Great fun that was, but poor old milkman trying to get round and big  queue   for the paraffin man..Remember BBC now get their forecasts from Meto  , but the met office with their massive computers in Exeter  all ways seem to come out on top.

Just heard that the Beast from the East has booked his UK ticket.

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Looking very good for Crawley tonight. One question, what causes the shift from heavy snow to sleet and then to heavy snow all in the space of 2 hours, under the same temps in the middle of the night?

Good for what? There may be a frost but I can’t see a lot else on the horizon ?‍♂️

Posted
Just now, snowy weather said:

BBC showing heavy snow throughout the night. 

Fair enough buddy,I want snow as much as everybody else but ( personally) I don’t trust the BBC apps,but I sure hope they are right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
3 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

BBC showing heavy snow throughout the night. 

On a forecast 10 hrs behind lol