Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hope everyone is well Had some lovely weather here lately, the nights are starting to cool down a fair bit but days are still warm and often sunny, which is always nice in September. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely sunny day again. Bit brisk on the north Norfolk coast though.

B93CCB0B-B624-4DD4-88E4-002F8655AB85.jpeg

D36C9CED-97F3-4EED-878F-3A6FD98AE137.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

22.1c currently and the endless warm, sunny, breezy and dry days continue on the Riviera.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Pleasantly warm in the sun here with a fresh feeling moderate breeze, top temp 23.3c. 

Posted

Hi

I've recorded my local weather at Eastbourene for over 38 years but this is my first post! I've noticed countless times that as a band of rain approaches Eastbourne, from ANY direction, it breaks up & we escape with little or no rain! People say it must be because of Beachy Head but that can't be the reason when this occurs from all directions & I've got screenshots of radar to prove it!! It happened again this afternoon as a band of light rain approached from the English Channel but about 5 miles out to sea it just vanished!

Has anyone any ideas on why we lead a charmed life here in Eastbourne?! Of course it rains here but we get far less than the surrounding area all around us!

• Like 7

Posted
23 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Hi

I've recorded my local weather at Eastbourene for over 38 years but this is my first post! I've noticed countless times that as a band of rain approaches Eastbourne, from ANY direction, it breaks up & we escape with little or no rain! People say it must be because of Beachy Head but that can't be the reason when this occurs from all directions & I've got screenshots of radar to prove it!! It happened again this afternoon as a band of light rain approached from the English Channel but about 5 miles out to sea it just vanished!

Has anyone any ideas on why we lead a charmed life here in Eastbourne?! Of course it rains here but we get far less than the surrounding area all around us!

Hi Peter!

Not too sure on the topography of Eastbourne, but it Is similar here in Folkestone. Like you, we have sea to the south, and on all but the south western side we are surrounded by hills.

I’ve often watched rain approach to just dissipate as it nears here. Unless it’s from the SW and then we get plenty as that is mainly over sea before it gets here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

It dissipates often here on the Essex coast particularly in summer and when the wind is in the west (which it largely has been this summer)...I would say not once this summer have I experienced heavy rain (moderate rain in a thunder storm/shower and quite often just light rain even in more unsettled spells). I am in one of the driest areas in the entire UK though, as for folks in Sussex I think there are micro-climates all along the coastline due to the topography (I remember a poster from Dorset who posts regularly saying the same thing).

Another day here breaching 20c - warm, sunny and not surprisingly still dry.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

Just sitting here on the north downs enjoying the continuation of summer weather. This picture highlights how dry the ground is.

It’s been a very dry 6 months here in this part of the world. The lovely weather continues but as I always say, it’ll even out in the wash.

Enjoy the last few days...☀️

8C86F151-FB68-4EEE-905E-3EF16F6F0EF4.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Yes it is a magnificent summer type day. Walked along from St Leonard’s to the De La Warr Bexhill and back. Looks as if the birds aren’t following the rule of 6!

9DDE27DB-475A-43B5-95CD-94E09D855347.jpeg

52C0CC28-8A7A-404B-BA6E-3631D14F05EE.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

A near perfect day here with a temp of 22.0c and clear skies, good riddance to that HOT humid muck a few weeks back... until next year!!, according to my crystal ball.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here again, what a beautiful September it’s turning out to be! Shame about me testing positive for coronavirus on Friday, I guess completely losing my sense of taste and smell was a sign. Feel ok but absolutely knackered. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Lovely day here again, what a beautiful September it’s turning out to be! Shame about me testing positive for coronavirus on Friday, I guess completely losing my sense of taste and smell was a sign. Feel ok but absolutely knackered. 

Really sorry to hear that you've tested positive stainesbloke. Where do you think you caught it?

Anyway, I hope you quickly shrug it off and are feeling better again very soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Another cloudy start here minus that moderate breeze we've had recently, cloud should burn off soon though, temp at the moment 13.1c. And all the best @stainesbloke

Edited by thunderpants
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yep my husband has lost his taste and smell too, but never managed to even get a test in the five day time limit. So I'm assuming it is, for that reason, but don't know. Also a lovely day here. 

My daughter has done her ten days now, so she's back at school today. Hubby and son started Tuesday last week. . 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted

After some lingering low cloud here this morning, temps rallied to a high of 23.8c this afternoon, very nice indeed.  

Posted

Get well soon S...earlier fog and low cloud did take a little time to clear bit after midday, I wasn’t expecting it and nor to linger that long! But once it burnt away, it was beautiful, temp however was a little below expectations 22C but you can’t complain with October not far off now. Seems possible many of us will see a grass frost this weekend. The nights are really drawing in now, this weather now is really a trick. Tomorrow the last summery day sadly 26C in our region soak it in, as I suspect it won’t be till April we see similar. Let’s hope we’re all still in one piece.

5E9EB8A6-D040-4519-843E-E658944957AB.thumb.png.0b7ee8696de2328f59445affc05bc435.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Yes, I suspect we won't see another chart like today's until next spring/summer. Overall this year I think it's been a pretty good spring/summer/autumn with several really good spells of weather and above average sunshine for our Region giving plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.

Arpege temp 17.00: 907773255_ArpegeTemps22Sept17_00.thumb.png.7619208b3bb5d4c3e2fc51571601db0c.png

But all change from tomorrow as an area of low pressure swings across us, bringing up to an inch (25mm) of rain for most:

Cum rainfall to midnight Friday: 1743850348_ArpegeCumRainfall22to25Sept.thumb.png.9f4ee7d14bd8fbe89aceb68f1c0b7bb8.png

But the much chillier air doesn't really hit us until Saturday as the low moves off into the North Sea and pulls down much colder 850hPa temps, dropping from +13C to 0C as the following sequence (Tues to Sat morning) shows. Time to check that the heating works after the summer break.

anim_hjl7.gif

Source of charts: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

Edited by Blessed Weather
Link to charts added.
  • Like 2

Posted

Anyone else got thick fog? Here in Hailsham visibility is down to about 100 feet, but six miles away, nearer the coast, a friend reports that it is clear.

Posted
On 21/09/2020 at 09:24, alexisj9 said:

Yep my husband has lost his taste and smell too, but never managed to even get a test in the five day time limit. So I'm assuming it is, for that reason, but don't know. Also a lovely day here. 

My daughter has done her ten days now, so she's back at school today. Hubby and son started Tuesday last week. . 

Hope you’re all well? Losing taste and smell has been so weird! And annoying lol, as I love my food/drink. It’s been a total loss for 5 days, but today I can smell/taste ‘hints’ of things. So hopefully it’s getting better, I’ve heard that this symptom can last a month or more, though. 

• Like 2

Posted

Temps nearly 26c here, light breeze, not a cloud in the sky. Make the most of the useable weather, it’s all down hill from tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some early frosty mornings and heaps of snow soon ❄️❄️

• Like 3