Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
9 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thats a great temp

Im going Botley hill restaurant  tomorrow( hopefully ) 250 M

Mine is showing 67°c but I’m measuring the chicken I’m cooking. Just about right. 

Posted

4.2 now, but the radar is showing dead clear so not seeing any precipitation for a while tonight. temps dropping quite quickly though so expecting a cold night ahead with possible frost. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Do I sense an air of optimism wafting over from the west...

4.4c here > about 1 hour behind surrey.

Talking of that where is Surrey the poster...

drunk??? 

Posted

It is nice to see the Dew point dropping quicker than forecasted. Seems 850temps and Dewpoint will be in alignment from 4am onwards, so an all nighter for me then. 

Also, like how even this close all the models have different permutations. 

Theres some nights we have all sat here being told snow was coming ( Who rems Feb 2005 & it rained lol ) but also some occasions sitting here with a forecast of snow & knowing full well it was going to rain-

Maybe tonight will be different... 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Theres some nights we have all sat here being told snow was coming ( Who rems Feb 2005 & it rained lol ) but also some occasions sitting here with a forecast of snow & knowing full well it was going to rain-

Steve, remember many a night when you was about in the late hours where we looked for snow. my night shift a good few years ago during the winter months was spent continually looking for signs of a snowfall. then the day i woke up for a day shift only to walk ten miles into work from SE18 to Whitehall made it all worthwhile. the night of the great thames streamer  

• Like 1

Posted

but also remember the night it snowed so bad my shift relief couldn't get into work from medway areas and i spent the next 36 hours non-stop working because there was only two of us to do the work.

Queen and country and all that  

Edited by MAF

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Hopefully for some who are in the right place at the right time it will. All the best snow is a surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Yeah snow is great so long as you're not at work!

I remember January 2017 where Kent had a surprise bout of snow with a sudden drop: left work at 5.30 with 6C, half hour later as I got home it was 1C and dumping it down. 

Interestingly that night it stayed above freezing the entire night but still managed about 3cm of lying snow!

Will it happen tonight??? 

Posted
2 hours ago, WxHerts said:

Heavy rain just cleared here with largely clear skies following on behind, some PWS to my west (namely Watford area) show temperatures now plummeting under this so I will hopefully be recording similar in the not too distant future. I will cautiously add that I think the radar picture looks decent, obviously no model has got it right but the trajectory looks...decent.

Hi, I’m in Hertford where a-bouts in Hertfordshire are you?

Looks as if we are in for a chance early  hours of the morning but I doubt any settling snow.

I have been a member on this forum for many years but only here when it’s winter, I read the model threads intensely and especially Steve Murr he’s extremely knowledgeable about the weather.

Good to be back let’s hope this winter is a memorable 1 last year was a mega disappointment after the models were  showing easterlies then just vanishing from the model runs it was so frustrating, however my hunch this year it will be different.

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.fde33b5e4b008dba496cd1d6be1cec57.png

Slow and steady decline here with a drop of -0.7°C in the last hour.

6.5°C currently.

2 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Now down to 2° here with a dew point of 1° in the Surrey Hills 

Nice John.  Plenty of cooling time as well.

Meteociel Dewpoints supportive of what your saying with 1c Springing up in the last 30 Mins old image first.

C7FE36DD-D59C-4142-BC31-14773E19A300.thumb.png.ce0b0392daaf7af47b8c1725901b455a.pngB832D565-49DC-433D-B471-5DA71E1C2211.thumb.png.f4c5eb8bcabb4f302e40214bedeea25e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

4.4'c here, 3.9'c dewpoint here based on the Uni of Reading observatory.

Hoping we get some snow here in Reading! I'll be watching the Uni station tonight I think! 

Posted
31 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Nice John.  Plenty of cooling time as well.

Meteociel Dewpoints supportive of what your saying with 1c Springing up in the last 30 Mins old image first.

C7FE36DD-D59C-4142-BC31-14773E19A300.thumb.png.ce0b0392daaf7af47b8c1725901b455a.pngB832D565-49DC-433D-B471-5DA71E1C2211.thumb.png.f4c5eb8bcabb4f302e40214bedeea25e.png

How accurate do you feel your thermometer is?  Got a pile here of various types. No two read the same. 

Edited by Snipper

1 minute ago, Snipper said:

How accurate do you feel your thermometer is?  Got a pile here of various types. Not one reads the same. 

Well I think its good to 0.3c either way. ( tolerance is 0.5c

Its been snowing heaving & settling on grass not on pavements at 0.3c then as soon as temp went to -0.1c it settled on roads so feels about right...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp dropped to 2.6 here now in Locksbottom and drying up.Realistically not expecting anything here but as I mentioned yesterday feel the usual elevated spots in this area over 150-175m may get a temporary covering tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 hours ago, Polaris said:

Unless we get some miracle come tomorrow morning of heavy slow moving PPN moving across our region then there’s a chance of some wet snow at higher elevations 

current temp 4.6c here and pouring down 

You have more chance than me only just hit that temp here now 4.6c at just shy of 8pm you must be close to sleet/snow bearing temp by now?