South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

26.4mm since 11pm Thursday. Even though it feels as though it’s been virtually non-stop rain, we’ve got off lightly compared to a lot of areas in this regional thread. Hope everyone is okay. 

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all, I hope you are all well, and your Families are Virus free. Well it's great to be alive on the occasion of my 65th Birthday. Tbh, it feels pretty scary.  It is also vir

Hi! 👋 Sorry to worry you, thank you for asking 🙏 I am ok, thank you. I have a few lingering Covid symptoms (I still have virtually no taste or smell, after 4 weeks and get bouts of extreme fatigue) bu

Some wonderful pics of this morning's fog over Norfolk, taken by Chris Bell, Weatherquest, Norwich, using his drone. Source: Twitter @stormbell

Posted Images

Just started raining heavily here in Locksbottom but those 15 miles West of me look like they will receive a lot of rain in next few hours.As others have said if this had been early December this thread would have gone into meltdown with copious amounts of snow ❄️!!

42.2mm of rain here today! That's a record for my station since it started running in 2003. On top of 35.3mm on Friday. 

Still hammering it down. Could be looking at over 100mm from this storm by tomorrow night!

Just had a flash of lightning and a rumble out to the west! Wasn’t expecting that...only 16mm here today. Looking at places to the west of here looks like we got off lightly.

Total 1st October to date = 81.79mm

Well it’s wet and it’s raining. Feel like I’ve been saying that for over 10 days. Bored of it now. Any chance of some cold sunny days coming?

looking  like it could be a very wet day

Screenshot_2020-10-04 Rain Alarm(1).png

Edited by tinybill
poor down load
  • Like 1

Morning fellow south easterners and anglians, rain seems to be the order again today, thankfully there's an abundance of live football  on today, and I have a large plate of lasagna, courtesy of my mum and dad, for dinner. Normally I'd be round there for sunday lunch, but this crappy, no more than 6 allowed in a house, even though I can go to a restaurant with complete strangers, rule has put paid to that. Have a good day peeps

• Like 3
On 02/10/2020 at 07:54, SenlacJack said:

Winds really started picking up here in the Hastings area around 3-4am this morning, accompanied by some hefty downpours. I'll be heading down to Rock-a-Nore later for high tide just after midday.

Some footage taken at high tide, not the worst I've seen in that spot in recent years:

Recorded rainfall so far from nearby Herstmonceux : October 1st-10.8mm, 2nd- 20.6mm, 3rd- 29.8mm, 4th- 7.0 mm up to 8am. Total so far this month 68.2mm compared to an average for the whole month of 71.3mm. A dry spell would be welcome.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

82mm here since the 1st with plenty more to come and just a paltry yellow warning - Shocker Meto Shocker

Snap again 82.3mm unreal rain never seen so many continuous hours of it. And no there has been no rain warning throughout some how despite areas to west of London approaching or exceeding 100mm.

357380A1-ABB2-4036-B344-9B236012328A.thumb.png.05c7a1239b183bf37575604e06bc748a.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Sad 2

Yes another 30mm on top of the 60mm that fell before brief dry spell yesterday here in wgc and still raining. 90 mm total a record for my garden over last few days. Does seem strange only yellow warning though.

Edited by minus10
Correction. Not even a yellow warning over our area for today..
  • Like 1

I can't complain today so far, we are not in the main rain band here in Dover so far today. Although we are getting some drizzle, some dry intervals and also a heavy shower went through a little while ago. 

the amount of rain to quintiple the average this monthat this rate it probably will much colder than average a good winter this year maybe a proper european snow storm

For the record, Met Office weather summary charts for September 2020 (anomalies v 1981-2010 average):

Rainfall: 700425817_Sept2020rainfallanom.thumb.png.5415341b0ea08f3632449c518c0d6496.png Sunshine: 344922306_Sept2020sunshineanom.thumb.png.381f2290086b22d781cc449f375aebbb.png Daily mean temp: 187686926_Sept2020dailymeantempanom.thumb.png.d825632702146fb68465208454a258b2.png

Source: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-actual-and-anomaly-maps

And the headlines for the East courtesy of Weatherquest:

1751502823_Sept2020EastWeatherquest.thumb.jpg.0e2951d477883e6226996a0405cea3d6.jpg

• Rainfall exactly average (100%) overall, although some notable variances with Houghton Hall (W Norfolk) the wettest location with 129mm but just 15mm at Writtle (Essex)
  • Sunniest September since 2012 (124%)
  • Warmer than average (+0.5°C)

Source: Twitter @danholley_

The sun is actually making an appearance at the moment here, not sure for how long though. I think the front is moving a bit closer. 

• Like 1

Heavy rain. Temp 10.1C.................Part of the lower roof started leaking. Brought a tin of roof sealant yesterday and applied to affected area. Hope this coating does the trick!