South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Anyone fancy an Easternly

1181307755_gensnh-0-1-192(4).thumb.png.5d2e56838e908bbfc45d44b4fc9e806d.png

No how about a Southernly Jet

1000212026_gensnh-0-1-120(1).thumb.png.10ec51ea26a428312869b07e42b90fc7.png

An Easterly from Siberia absolutely. One from Turkey not as much!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 minutes ago, Southender said:

An Easterly from Siberia absolutely. One from Turkey not as much!

I heard they do nice Food there though. 

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

Posted
2 hours ago, Daenerys said:

We had a slight scattering  of snow earlier in Epsom but literally for a few mins

Same here in Surbiton around 1.30pm when it sort of snowed then turned to sleet then rain all in the space of 5 minutes!

Happy New Year to all of the Netweather community:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
46 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Jan 2013 one of my favourite cold spells as most of the snow happened over the weekend.

Feb 91 would be my pick for this month if I could. 

Not so long as to make the current covid situation much worse, loads of convective showers. Marvel at it, then get back to normal. Perfect easterly in my book. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Gloomy day today, with some on-and-off rain. Currently 3c.

I tried out some more night-time timelapses. ISO 2,500/F2.8

The Sandy Heath Mast shows up in the distance pretty well.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Really wish I could get excited about the next 2 weeks but I am just not seeing thing falling into place for us and I hope I am wrong. There is still lots of BOOMS going on in the Mod Discussion but to be fare there has been Booms since about the 10th December none which have produced anything yet. 

I will update around 730pm the chances for Monday, Tues and Wednesday from the Models for Snow chances in the SE Quadrant and this will include todays 12z Models.

Agree again...ECM 12z makes a meal of trying to get to a 'proper' easterly in and doesn't get there with a lot of flaffing around with short waves/troughs and ends with LP close to the south west which is again no use to us here in the south east and have my doubts we will see much in the working week 4th-8th certainly if you live anywhere near the coast, so the hunt goes on.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

Yep 12z Models still not reading from the same sheet as the BOOM Boys in the Model Thread Discussion

Monday still at 20%

Tuesday still at 20%

Wednesday is at 0%

And remember the earlier days in the week are pulling off 7 Models now so again am not getting excited for our little corner of the world at this stage

Still time for upgrades as we are T60 From the start of the East or North Easterlies

• Like 4

Posted

Think im packing in model watching if we dont get some snow next week.

First time we get an easterly in the depth of winter for years ,and temp still forecast between 4-6c utterly pathetic ,with snow forecast mainly on hills.

Coastal kent would get buried in these type of set-ups years ago with the showers moving West to give most areas in SE a decent covering.

If we cant get decent snow from these synoptics then whats the point anymore.

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep 12z Models still not reading from the same sheet as the BOOM Boys in the Model Thread Discussion

Monday still at 20%

Tuesday still at 20%

Wednesday is at 0%

And remember the earlier days in the week are pulling off 7 Models now so again am not getting excited for our little corner of the world at this stage

Still time for upgrades as we are T60 From the start of the East or North Easterlies

Yep...generally we should easily be able to have some more snow symbols showing up by now on meto.

Still time but predominantly a dry week ahead. It's just not quite falling for us and everything BOOM is always 9/10 days away. 

Still in the game though.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

First time we get an easterly in the depth of winter for years ,and temp still forecast between 4-6c utterly pathetic ,with snow forecast mainly on hills.

Coastal kent would get buried in these type of set-ups years ago with the showers moving West to give most areas in SE a decent covering.

It is very frustrating. Unfortunately the N.Sea is like a bath at the moment in relative terms. Plus the Easterly isn’t the true Siberian Express we all crave. It’s origins are the med then travelling across again a relatively mild continent. Net result is a wintry mix rather than Narnia unfortunately. Let’s just pray for some big upgrades over the weekend 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

never been one to watch the models. the confusion of so much information thrown out by them takes the fun out of forecasting for me. 3 - 5 days ahead is all i look at now.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Its all gone Ben Hur and snowstorms in 10 days , gotta love the MAD  thread.

8C1C9574-3B3D-46B9-9161-1E10074B2041.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, fatyido said:

Looks like some beefy showers moving in from the wash, all of rain I suspect ?

Yep. Dew points way too high.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

It is very frustrating. Unfortunately the N.Sea is like a bath at the moment in relative terms. Plus the Easterly isn’t the true Siberian Express we all crave. It’s origins are the med then travelling across again a relatively mild continent. Net result is a wintry mix rather than Narnia unfortunately. Let’s just pray for some big upgrades over the weekend 

It so annoying when  you look back and see how similar set-ups gave loads of snow in our region in years gone by,with Kent and Essex plastered in Snow.I was a kid in the 80s and grew up thinking it would always be snowy in the Winter with sledging for weeks and ice-skating and big drifts on the downs lasting for weeks,now just a wintry mix in the depth of winter seems to be the best we can hope for,with the continent not cold enough to mix out the origins of the air from the Med

So unless the air comes straight from siberia,any other type of Easterly is pointless then

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

It so annoying when  you look back and see how similar set-ups gave loads of snow in our region in years gone by,with Kent and Essex plastered in Snow.I was a kid in the 80s and grew up thinking it would always be snowy in the Winter with sledging for weeks and ice-skating and big drifts on the downs lasting for weeks,now just a wintry mix in the depth of winter seems to be the best we can hope for,with the continent not cold enough to mix out the origins of the air from the Med

So unless the air comes straight from siberia,any other type of Easterly is pointless then

Yes, it’s very frustrating if you want snow but there were easterly patterns like this in the 80’s, too. Unfortunately, Europe isn’t cold at the moment, otherwise there’d be very different conditions. Am holding out hope for a slow-burning build up to a decent cold and snowy spell, as there’s a good 2.5 months left to achieve something exciting/memorable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

The Telegraph today reported on an SSW occurring in the next fortnight and a Beast from the East 2 following. Thoughts? ????

Posted
4 minutes ago, smarklew said:

The Telegraph today reported on an SSW occurring in the next fortnight and a Beast from the East 2 following. Thoughts? ????

SSW taking place now. Split of Vortex looks likely. Beast from the East is one of many possibilities but definitely not a certainty at this range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
2 hours ago, Number 23 said:

Feb 91 would be my pick for this month if I could. 

Not so long as to make the current covid situation much worse, loads of convective showers. Marvel at it, then get back to normal. Perfect easterly in my book. 

I can vaguely remember winter 78/79 being aged 5 but picking an all time cold spell then I’d be inclined to agree with Feb 91.

13 Inches of level snow and daytime maxes of -5.

Amazing to think that after 30 years we’d still not see anything as severe since.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Jan 87 for me hands down.

I’ll never forget walking home from school the afternoon it kicked off when the first shower hit and they just got heavier and heavier thereafter. We were off school for at least a week and that was a time when schools didn’t shut just because there was 0.1mm on the ground.

I can also vividly remember snow drifts several feet high on the sides of the A27 between Polegate and Lewes which I’ve never seen since.

Jan 10 was pretty cool as well.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Why is it that the temps always climbs to the daily max at this time of night? Fr here anyway, it's been 1-2c most of the day and as soon it hits around 8-9pm starts to shoot up, currently 3.5c