Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

35 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes in the short term looks a bit more encouraging but dew points look a bit iffy certainly where I am nearer the coast...MetO look pretty adamant that there will not be much in the way of snowfall for next week (Mon-Wed), by the way not referring to you about the hype from certain posters and also largely referring to the NH pattern after this easterly.

No I get that-

Whats happening which is good news is the low over the countries is being modelled further & further South East & Slightly more acute

That helps us 2 fold because the -8s / -9s are nearer but also theres less sea fetch to modify the air but enough to keep the streamers going ( I think you need 25 miles over sea to get enough track for a streamer )

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Tuesday morning the bulk of it 

4D6915A3-990C-4271-B2A6-FEC095B3DB11.thumb.png.e98005c82d4cec76a332ee9e9065f371.png

That’s the Ecm right?

The most uncontrollably fantasy yet. 
I should have been buried in 5 - 10 inches by now. 

Posted

Raining here in St Leonards, however it does appear to have some sleetiness to it, which isn't a surprise. 

My sensor is currently showing 3.7c

Posted
15 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Well we got the DP to 0c here now but temp will not get below 2.9c..

DP was 0c here with temps at 1.8c 3 hours ago and it rained
All relative especially with no ppn around that’s conclusive for snow. 

NE, into West Midlands tonight look like with the best shot yet again.  (Meto Warning too) 

Edited by Polaris

Posted

Useless updated MET forecast for beginning of next week four our region

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Cold, cloudy and breezy, with a raw-feeling breeze bringing spells of showery rain and perhaps occasional sleet. Probably brightest on Wednesday. Overnight icy patches and frosts are possible throughout.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Sat 2 Jan 2021

No mention of any snow at all now through till Wednesday,despite upper near minus 8,lets hope the SSW brings the BFTE though the BBC forecasters will still  probably show temps of 6c even if the uppers are minus 15,lol

Posted
1 hour ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

can i check where this regional thread covers? I'm in North Bucks and I wouldn't class ourselves as proper SE...but also I wouldn't say we are South Central? 

I always feel we are caught between a number of regionals. Any help really appreciated. 

Anyone help me on this? So i know when to look and post? 

Posted

0.5c here with a DP -0.6c, if only we can drag some precipitation from further West, we might get a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Anyone help me on this? So i know when to look and post? 

@Zak M posts here from Bedfordshire and I imagine it would be here that you would be classedd as.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Useless updated MET forecast for beginning of next week four our region

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Cold, cloudy and breezy, with a raw-feeling breeze bringing spells of showery rain and perhaps occasional sleet. Probably brightest on Wednesday. Overnight icy patches and frosts are possible throughout.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Sat 2 Jan 2021

No mention of any snow at all now through till Wednesday,despite upper near minus 8,lets hope the SSW brings the BFTE though the BBC forecasters will still  probably show temps of 6c even if the uppers are minus 15,lol

With -8 and even some -9 uppers now showing their hand for the easterly, if we don't get snow showers out of this I honestly just feel like giving up.

We've seen the north get snow, the west and the midlands. If the SE & EA can't get a tiny bit of snow from an easterly with -8 850s, I just don't know anymore.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

If the SE & EA can't get a tiny bit of snow from an easterly with -8 850s, I just don't know anymore.

There's a lot more to it than that..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's a lot more to it than that..

I know there is with DPs etc etc. But to see our region finally covered in -8 850s with an easterly and still looking very marginal for any snow is just so disheartening. Especially after missing out on everything this week

• Like 1

Posted

Remember this is falling snow not all accumulating but 12z increases coverage... Tuesday morning looking interesting for Kent the north downs could see a fair bit.

B6AE2A55-DD2B-4850-B1D8-625CA722EC87.thumb.png.ff9c807a6188422e312a17115d12dd60.pngA4B3DB9A-A99D-4018-81F8-FD25158E1BBC.thumb.png.0bbba9593d109e010ec2fdea15286c8e.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

No I get that-

Whats happening which is good news is the low over the countries is being modelled further & further South East & Slightly more acute

That helps us 2 fold because the -8s / -9s are nearer but also theres less sea fetch to modify the air but enough to keep the streamers going ( I think you need 25 miles over sea to get enough track for a streamer )

With my experience of the Great Lakes I think it was generally around 60 miles needed (not sure if it’s different over the North Sea for any reason) if not then less sea fetch might mean less chance of streamers popping up. 

The other two factors of temps differential of 13oC between 850 and surface temps and wind shear look ok. (Too much shear and that’s be game over too) 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Remember this is falling snow not all accumulating but 12z increases coverage... Tuesday morning looking interesting for Kent the north downs could see a fair bit.

B6AE2A55-DD2B-4850-B1D8-625CA722EC87.thumb.png.ff9c807a6188422e312a17115d12dd60.pngA4B3DB9A-A99D-4018-81F8-FD25158E1BBC.thumb.png.0bbba9593d109e010ec2fdea15286c8e.png

If that can shift 20 miles West the Surrey Hills will be in the game.... although the Surrey Hills snow shield will undoubtably be fully functioning

Posted
21 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

With -8 and even some -9 uppers now showing their hand for the easterly, if we don't get snow showers out of this I honestly just feel like giving up.

We've seen the north get snow, the west and the midlands. If the SE & EA can't get a tiny bit of snow from an easterly with -8 850s, I just don't know anymore.

There is still nothing to suggest any snowfall across our region out to 72hrs 

We can look and admire the ECM snowfall falling charts but they have been as accurate  as a chocolate Teapot. Total waste of time 

We need to look later in week for possibilities for our region. 

As always 

Posted

Evening all, 

Here's to a better '21 than the last twelve months. Condolences to all who are dealing with bereavements at what is already an hideous time.

Down here in the centre of Folkestone, there is remnants on the car bonnets of precipitation earlier this afternoon no more than that, and although it says 2c on my app (I can't find a suitable weather station for my particular circumstance right now) it feels a great deal colder than that.

There is a part of me that would quite like snow however with the situation as it is in the country I can't help but feel it could be something else that the authorities could do without.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
4 minutes ago, Polaris said:

There is still nothing to suggest any snowfall across our region out to 72hrs 

We can look and admire the ECM snowfall falling charts but they have been as accurate  as a chocolate Teapot. Total waste of time 

We need to look later in week for possibilities for our region. 

As always 

I do feel we have a higher chance of the ECM being  atleast closer to being right- especially as its not just the ECM showing this likes of Icon GFS etc also show it.

And we know that East/NElys are far more beneficial for our region than last weeks Atlantic originated fail.

Its good to keep positive and offer atleast a little hope to members in here

Fingers crossed for further upgrades

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

On another note whats happened to our resident enthusiast Sheldon? Is it already bed time mate were getting withdrawal symptoms without you posting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1