Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, lawrenk said:

Jan 87 for me hands down.

I’ll never forget walking home from school the afternoon it kicked off when the first shower hit and they just got heavier and heavier thereafter. We were off school for at least a week and that was a time when schools didn’t shut just because there was 0.1mm on the ground.

I can also vividly remember snow drifts several feet high on the sides of the A27 between Polegate and Lewes which I’ve never seen since.

Jan 10 was pretty cool as well.

Yeh, I agree ‘87 was the best.  My parents had a big garden and my sister always left her bike out (on the floor, not standing up) and it was lost until the snow started to melt - which was quite some time from memory.

I went to do my paper round and the newsagent told me the papers hadn’t got through as the train lines were blocked

Proper snow that, wonder if we will ever see the like of that again.  Now I’m chasing a few flakes

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

You couldn't make it up, seriously, after days of freezing weather, with nothing on offer, I finally get some ppn, of the wet sort. Surely, at some point it's got to be our turn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’m seeing a snow window on all models for our region, I’ll be shocked if some us of don’t see some snow from this easterly. A wintry looking FAX chart for Tuesday...

AFF628AC-7485-4A4A-9F9A-282388451D84.thumb.png.16283cbb8719676f037bebab4489e9fd.png

There'll be a warm core appearing from somewhere over us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’m seeing a snow window on all models for our region, I’ll be shocked if some us of don’t see some snow from this easterly. A wintry looking FAX chart for Tuesday...

AFF628AC-7485-4A4A-9F9A-282388451D84.thumb.png.16283cbb8719676f037bebab4489e9fd.png

Yep the GFS still has snow accumulating in my area

image.thumb.png.2054bb5a3541aa218c177cb9df43f312.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s touch and go mate. Dew points 0-2c and air temps 2-4c during daylight hours (GFS HRES). I wouldn’t rule out some wintry showers for sure. Particularly over the higher ground and away from the windward coasts. It wouldn’t take a huge upgrade to turn that from wintry showers to snow showers though. Let’s see if we can get a cheeky upgrade next few days ??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
30 minutes ago, Southender said:

It’s touch and go mate. Dew points 0-2c and air temps 2-4c during daylight hours (GFS HRES). I wouldn’t rule out some wintry showers for sure. Particularly over the higher ground and away from the windward coasts. It wouldn’t take a huge upgrade to turn that from wintry showers to snow showers though. Let’s see if we can get a cheeky upgrade next few days ??

wouldn't bother with the rest of the 18z

one for the bin

Posted
2 hours ago, smarklew said:

The Telegraph today reported on an SSW occurring in the next fortnight and a Beast from the East 2 following. Thoughts? ????

Probably, but the Beast from the East will arrive in June knowing our luck

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, big storms and extreme weather

I know the weather apps (TWC, BBC & MetO) are renowned to be crap but none of them have any snow for my location next week. I keep looking for them to update but everyday nothing. Are they all wrong? I know they all use data in their apps that we have access to. Why don’t they see what we are seeing? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr.B said:

I know the weather apps (TWC, BBC & MetO) are renowned to be crap but none of them have any snow for my location next week. I keep looking for them to update but everyday nothing. Are they all wrong? I know they all use data in their apps that we have access to. Why don’t they see what we are seeing? 

They use historic runs, and the models are upgrading the forecasts at the moment.

This should cheer you up;

C5E0AF40-2192-41D0-B0E6-C93BBB1CC95C.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, big storms and extreme weather
2 minutes ago, loafer said:

They use historic runs, and the models are upgrading the forecasts at the moment.

This should cheer you up;

C5E0AF40-2192-41D0-B0E6-C93BBB1CC95C.png

Thanks loafer! Defo yes! I’m just looking for that confirmation in the ordinary gp tools. I’ve bored the wife stupid over the years with 10 day chart blizzards inbound most of which have never come to fruition. It’s just the usual 4-5 days worry that we’re chasing phantoms. I’ll feel better when the flakes are falling outside my window.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Up to 81% chance of snow for London as a pessimistic southeasterner you can bet the 19% will verify

graphe3_00000___-0.12574_51.5085_Londres-1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

My dad died this morning, hope it snows to lift the gloom.

Lassie my heart goes out to you I'm so sorry to hear this, there are bigger things than the weather I hope you will heal in time  

• Like 2

Posted

Great ECM in the medium term (for the SE atleast) with colder minus 8-9c uppers over us and an Easterly with a few spots over mainland Europe with even colder uppers than this and a similarly cold and expensive pool of air to our East to draw upon surely we would have more chance of a snowy streamer setting up rather than rain and sleet if this was anywhere close to verifying, let's hope its not an outlier op run!

20210102_064820.jpg

20210102_064837.jpg

20210102_064800.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
24 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Sorry to hear your news mate. Thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
23 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Lassie my heart goes out to you I'm so sorry to hear this, there are bigger things than the weather I hope you will heal in time  

6 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Sorry to hear your news mate. Thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Thanks for your kind words. something we all go through but I think i'm in shock at the moment, don't even know what day it is

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

Thanks for your kind words. something we all go through but I think i'm in shock at the moment, don't even know what day it is

I really do feel for you especially at this time of the year, times a healer as they say I hope and pray for you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
15 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

I really do feel for you especially at this time of the year, times a healer as they say I hope and pray for you

Yes time has proved a healer when i lost my sister in 2008, you do have flasbacks to bad times though

Posted
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Yes time has proved a healer when i lost my sister in 2008, you do have flasbacks to bad times though

Keep trying to stay positive? I hope for an almighty surprise Thames&Kent streamers this January for us to enjoy ❄?☃️

2010 and Feb 2009 werent forecast to be anywhere near as good as they turned out to be so we live in hope for a nice surprise again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I'm sorry for your loss Lassie. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. 

Stay strong 

Trying yo lighten the mood. It does look as though (hopefully) this crud will clear later today and we may see some sunshine... 

The EURO4 is finally picking up on snow showers from tomorrow afternoon. I'm still not convinced by the high res models this morning on amount of rain its showing not as snow. Some at the depths of night are showing rain even inland with dew points looking around 0 and temps 1 at best.. Any heavier showers would almost definitely be of snow away from coasts 

21010315_0200.thumb.gif.7ba68ac7189cea1ed208b568d6e8e38d.gif

21010318_0200.thumb.gif.f96b27ea2bc02faee031ef82fe4bce99.gif

21010400_0200.thumb.gif.b907f27167961f253d7742ab96ba9171.gif

21010322_0200.thumb.gif.4aab2d358b94a2ba3c4b9fc281c11e19.gif

21010400_0200.thumb.gif.b907f27167961f253d7742ab96ba9171.gif

Last night I was surprised to see dew points held up above 2c around 2.1c here currently.. Although it has now started to drop off. 

21010320_0200.gif

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Well the BBC forecast until Tuesday is underwhelming to say the least for the SE.

No mention of any wintriness whatsoever now stating stronger Easterly winds and a little less cold !!

Showing temps between 4 & 6c. That’s a shade below normal.

Either the models are wrong or the Beeb ?