Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 hour ago, SnowBorder said:

The last time I remember falling snow this early in the winter season was Dec 2012. The current models also have a similar look to Dec 2012. 

January and March 2013 were both excellent winter months, and although I’m not expecting an exact repeat this winter, I am confident of a couple of decent cold and snowy spells. I think New Year or just after will be snowy. 

December 2017 was close. 6cms here from the slider on the 10th.

Seem to have done pretty well for December snow in the last decade or so, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2017 and now 2020. Throughout the whole of the 80s and 90s there were only a few years I remember settling snow in December, 1981 being the obvious exception.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nimbusman said:

As others have mentioned this brief snowfall has already surpassed the whole of last year! Some frost tonight then fog/frost Sunday - cracking start to winter with plenty of opportunities to come 

Not for all. South East got rain

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, danm said:

I remember that. Early December 2012, was on the train down to my old work's head office in Chertsey for the day and there was a light dusting. That was during the period where the models were showing a properly easterly coming down the line, which then all fell apart and caused many a depressed folk on here. 

Luckily we had two decent snowy spells in January and February 2013 to compensate.

Problem is, although people were moaning because it wasn't an easterly, it was still a very cold snowy northerly. I was happy. You can't be picky about the direction snow comes from in the UK, you'd never be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Who got some ? Council been out I see ?

thumbnail_facebook_1607082006498_6740590488183374147.jpg

Posted

first time in years i’ve seen more then a dusting in december! snow from start to finish here in Dereham about 50m elevation and inland, which i guess helps quite a bit compared to coastal areas nearby that i’ve lived at much of the past 9 years.

slowing down now but there was easily an inch in spots when i took a little walk half hour ago, completely white head to toe already on par with last years snow and we’re not even in the coldest months yet! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, snow, and cold snowy snow
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

We have heavy snow! The inner child awakes!:santa-emoji::drunk-emoji:

I was walking the dogs over at the common during the heavy stuff!  It was great and nicely cold  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
51 minutes ago, snowblind said:

December 2017 was close. 6cms here from the slider on the 10th.

Seem to have done pretty well for December snow in the last decade or so, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2017 and now 2020. Throughout the whole of the 80s and 90s there were only a few years I remember settling snow in December, 1981 being the obvious exception.

Yes that's true. 10th December 2017 was a great event here. A good few inches of heavy snow from that in north London. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, The Bevmeister said:

I was walking the dogs over at the common during the heavy stuff!  It was great and nicely cold  

I went for a walk at the local moor during the heaviest part and it was nice.. til i stepped in a swampy area that was hidden by the covering of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 hours ago, Ackkers said:

One wonders given the volume of marginal rain late yesterday (I've recorded over 35mm in the past 24 hours) what sort of snow quantities we would have had in a pre warming era... In the end we had about 2 inches here in my part of East Sussex which as others have said exceeded anything we had all winter last year.

FC2C2FFD-AD3A-4437-94EA-3A65485358DA.heic 1.67 MB · 9 downloads

If you look at 80s Decembers...very little

3/4th Dec ....a decent start

BFTP

5818A9FB-A1BF-49C5-9641-CE49FB7EFDEF.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

mmm it was rain for me this morning, didn't even feel cold enough for sleet. Well it was more like a drizzle with a little bit of wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
15 minutes ago, Dami said:

mmm it was rain for me this morning, didn't even feel cold enough for sleet. Well it was more like a drizzle with a little bit of wind. 

had rain here but wasn't expecting anything else with the temperature at 4c . I think East Anglia ans Surrey got some wet snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
Just now, lassie23 said:

had rain here but wasn't expecting anything else with the temperature at 4c . I think East Anglia ans Surrey got some wet snow

aye lass.  The last few days haven't felt cold to be at all, and you are talking to someone who had worn a jumper on a summer's morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
1 hour ago, Snowfish2 said:

Not for all. South East got rain

Up the road in Herne we had a covering on cars and lawns early this morning but was all gone by 8am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Dami said:

aye lass.  The last few days haven't felt cold to be at all, and you are talking to someone who had worn a jumper on a summer's morning!

Today is about as cold as it has been so far this winter and 5c is actually not far off the average temperature for this time of the year.

Posted
4 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Nothing in Maidstone this morning but it's good to see winter having a go so early on Hope those of you who have it enjoy the scenery this morning!

Always the nature of snow even in less marginal events, some get a treat some don't - many o time where Maidstone gets snow and Herne Bay has nothing for example. 

Welcome to Winter ❄

Bradley, exactly right - there have been many occasions in the past when those in West Kent fared better than East Kent. Herne Bay area myself and we had a brief covering this morning but perhaps some lower temps drawn off the continent made a difference this time! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It's now been snowing here for 4 hours non-stop. 

• Like 5

Posted

The lowest maximum temperature here so far in 2020 (including Jan-Mar): 4.7 degrees - a proper old-fashioned winter's day. Congratulations to those with snow

Edited by andreas
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
2 hours ago, Gazza said:

Up the road in Herne we had a covering on cars and lawns early this morning but was all gone by 8am!

All gone by half past 6 here with a tiny bit of slush left on the car opposite. Not sure what your elevation is but that does seem to have made a difference with how extensive the small covering was.

image.thumb.png.e2f2556c216c8ea45924ba8297a1bf1d.png

I apologise for the beautiful amount of pixels.

Grass temperature got to 0.6°C here and the temperature did only dip to 1°C with a DP of 0.4°C so not sure how extensive the covering on my lawn was.

image.thumb.png.d39062aa5ccacad2155839f4bc2a6e60.png

Edited by Jamiee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

I drove from Whitstable to Ashford today at 8am along the country roads and there was a good covering and all looked very pretty. Just about every drain had popped it’s manhole cover with water gushing out so all a bit wet. Plenty of country lanes under water but not too deep.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

All gone by half past 6 here with a tiny bit of slush left on the car opposite. Not sure what your elevation is but that does seem to have made a difference with how extensive the small covering was.

image.thumb.png.e2f2556c216c8ea45924ba8297a1bf1d.png

I apologise for the beautiful amount of pixels.

Grass temperature got to 0.6°C here and the temperature did only dip to 1°C with a DP of 0.4°C so not sure how extensive the covering on my lawn was.

image.thumb.png.d39062aa5ccacad2155839f4bc2a6e60.png

Am in Curtis Wood and I think when I checked elevation previously it was 35m ASL so nothing significant. That combined with the extra mile or so inland seems to often make a difference!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well, given that this was not hyped or touted to be that significant, it has turned out to be one of the best surprise snow events in recent memory. Here in West Norfolk, some of the minor hills have had a right good covering! Melting now however. Makes a change to be on the right side of marginal for once. The weather was really playing around with the boundary of freezing point today! Some areas nearby have had nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
34 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Well, given that this was not hyped or touted to be that significant, it has turned out to be one of the best surprise snow events in recent memory. Here in West Norfolk, some of the minor hills have had a right good covering! Melting now however. Makes a change to be on the right side of marginal for once. The weather was really playing around with the boundary of freezing point today! Some areas nearby have had nothing. 

I concur too. It's always nice to see North Kent and Essex get something for once. The biggest surprise is probably the coastal areas that have had snow, especially Colchester with a few cm. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just a typical slush fest here...which I'm steadily getting use to when ever we to have a chance, but got zip last winter and not even a snowflake in sight so already beaten that.

Since 2013 I've experienced several slush fests which have lasted a few hours or so, Jan 2017 (1-2cms), Dec 2017 (2cms), Jan 2019 (1 cm) and this one about the depth of an ants private part.

Most notable thing driving to Maldon today was the flooded roads...fields look like quagmires! 

Edited by Froze were the Days