Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well, what a lovely surprise that was, love seeing the snow, sadly, it's melting rapidly now, fingers crossed something more substantial with longevity isn't too far away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Congratulations to all those of you that have had some settling Snow.

Just cold and wet here, in lowland S.E. London.

Great to see all your Snow Pics.

I'd live to give special thanks to bluebell ( Icklesham, E.Sussex), for posting her Snow Pics on my Winter Weather predicting Competition Thread.

Just a reminder, that on Wednesday 9th December I will begin my light hearted look at White Christmas prospects, through the eyes of Sammy and Sharon Snowmen.

I will be using the G.F.S. Model, as soon as Christmas Day comes in to range, at t384.

I truly hope that t384 looks a lot better, than it does after Today's 00z Run:

image.thumb.png.d1710bc423c78f649f25e53e6442daf1.png

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 2

Posted

As others have mentioned this brief snowfall has already surpassed the whole of last year! Some frost tonight then fog/frost Sunday - cracking start to winter with plenty of opportunities to come 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Crazy how localised it was.  Where I live (just north of Colchester) we had a good inch at least.  I texted my colleagues in Suffolk to say something along the lines of "drive safely", got to work just outside Ipswich and there was barely anything!  We did get torrential huge flakes, but far too warm by that point to settle.  My two boys, aged 9 and 6, had fun playing in the garden this morning and my 1 year old daughter was amazed by it.  Let's hope there's more to come but what a lovely, festive treat.

Posted

minutes from the approaching probable rain/sleety mess here in Dereham, Norfolk.. hoping for some flakes and maybe even a dusting like family are reporting in several places just south-west and and south lincolnshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

it has snowed here but it's slowly melting away, only a small patching on the roof tiles and on the grass

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

Crazy how localised it was.  Where I live (just north of Colchester) we had a good inch at least.  I texted my colleagues in Suffolk to say something along the lines of "drive safely", got to work just outside Ipswich and there was barely anything!  We did get torrential huge flakes, but far too warm by that point to settle.  My two boys, aged 9 and 6, had fun playing in the garden this morning and my 1 year old daughter was amazed by it.  Let's hope there's more to come but what a lovely, festive treat.

Had a patchy covering here in Clacton, mostly on cars, grass and roofs.  Friends working in Colchester mentioned it was heavier and sticking more over there.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 hour ago, Matty88 said:

Nope - wrong! 2cm of Snow in Ely this morning which is at sea level... it's not just falling on high ground, not at all. A lovely fluffy surprise for quite  a few around here this morning!  

Forecasters never admit they are wrong, you should know that by now :p

Here's some images from Herne Bay, can't get any more coastal haha 

EoX1rFoXcAMaVxr.jpg

EoX1rFoW4AActQv.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

One wonders given the volume of marginal rain late yesterday (I've recorded over 35mm in the past 24 hours) what sort of snow quantities we would have had in a pre warming era... In the end we had about 2 inches here in my part of East Sussex which as others have said exceeded anything we had all winter last year.

FC2C2FFD-AD3A-4437-94EA-3A65485358DA.heic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I don’t think it is elevation doing this, Chatteris in the Fens this morning whilst dropping little CS off at nursery. This was settling even on the main roads that had been gritted.

15CCF7AA-C5E5-4EA7-A1F6-ACDB6BD03FB5.jpeg

Chatteris is pretty much at sea level or even below is some areas being in the Fens. Just ten miles down the road in Huntingdon where I work it is pouring with rain.

It’s something I’ve noticed over the years Huntingdon and St Ives area is an absolute no snow zone during marginal set ups.

Posted

The last time I remember falling snow this early in the winter season was Dec 2012. The current models also have a similar look to Dec 2012. 

January and March 2013 were both excellent winter months, and although I’m not expecting an exact repeat this winter, I am confident of a couple of decent cold and snowy spells. I think New Year or just after will be snowy. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Forecasters never admit they are wrong, you should know that by now

Here's some images from Herne Bay, can't get any more coastal haha 

EoX1rFoXcAMaVxr.jpg

EoX1rFoW4AActQv.jpg

But they're not wrong, not really... it sure looks like a marginal snow-event to me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

The last time I remember falling snow this early in the winter season was Dec 2012. The current models also have a similar look to Dec 2012. 

January and March 2013 were both excellent winter months, and although I’m not expecting an exact repeat this winter, I am confident of a couple of decent cold and snowy spells. I think New Year or just after will be snowy. 

I remember that. Early December 2012, was on the train down to my old work's head office in Chertsey for the day and there was a light dusting. That was during the period where the models were showing a properly easterly coming down the line, which then all fell apart and caused many a depressed folk on here. 

Luckily we had two decent snowy spells in January and February 2013 to compensate.

Edited by danm

Posted

I estimate we had between 1-1¼"/25-30mm of laying snow on the patio table in the end in South Colchester, very wet, and now melting fairly quickly. Drip, drip, drip everywhere! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
7 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Yep. Think that was also the time of 'THAT ECM'.

Posted
44 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

I estimate we had between 1-1¼"/25-30mm of laying snow on the patio table in the end in South Colchester, very wet, and now melting fairly quickly. Drip, drip, drip everywhere! 

Similar in Coggeshall. I underestimated earlier. When I did a proper measurement from the top of the wheelie bin it was 3cm.

Melting slowly. Rooves, grass and cars still covered. Pavements and roads slushy. Temp now 2c.

Posted

Been snowing in Peterborough for best part of 3 hrs now not really settling apart from slush 

Looks like front has/is pivoting around Peterborough looking at rainfall radar 

Feels festive working from home with Xmas lights on and snowing outside