South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Just bringing this up. Whilst its good showing the 'now'

@Met4Cast

Just bringing this back up.

It just shows that the forecasts we looked at were correct & just using the 'now' as a representation of the whole night is incorrect. 

The Harmonie high res had 4c Dewpoints over NW kent at 21c & a patch of 1c Dewpoints dewpoints developing at 4am hence the snow. 

The reality is its forecast was about 30-50 miles to far West.

Folkstone for example went from 6c DP to 0C in 3 hours supported by evaporational cooling....

Best

S

Looking at the reports what I said was largely correct. Most of the reports of any meaningful accumulations are coming from areas of higher ground across the region. Some reports to lower levels too though more of a slushy mix barring the odd spot where evaporative cooling/precip intensity made all the difference. For most though, nothing but rain or maybe a brief period of sleet/wet snow. 

Posted

A slushy 2cm here in North Essex

Easing off now. Temp 0.4c dew point 0. Roads are a nightmare!

Edited by snowblind

Posted
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I don’t think it is elevation doing this, Chatteris in the Fens this morning whilst dropping little CS off at nursery. This was settling even on the main roads that had been gritted.

15CCF7AA-C5E5-4EA7-A1F6-ACDB6BD03FB5.jpeg

Chatteris is pretty much at sea level or even below is some areas being in the Fens. Just ten miles down the road in Huntingdon where I work it is pouring with rain.

"Some reports to lower levels too though more of a slushy mix barring the odd spot where evaporative cooling/precip intensity made all the difference."

Posted

Moderate snow here now in Ipswich, slightly bigger flakes mixed in and starting to settle on surfaces. Great start to winter! ??

Edited by Nimbusman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
2 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Moderate snow here now in Ipswich, slightly bigger flakes mixed in and starting to settle on surfaces. Great start to winter! ??

Been settling in colchester for a few hrs x

Posted
17 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I don’t think it is elevation doing this, Chatteris in the Fens this morning whilst dropping little CS off at nursery. This was settling even on the main roads that had been gritted.

15CCF7AA-C5E5-4EA7-A1F6-ACDB6BD03FB5.jpeg

Chatteris is pretty much at sea level or even below is some areas being in the Fens. Just ten miles down the road in Huntingdon where I work it is pouring with rain.

Been snowing in Somersham for a couple of hours, settling now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

A light dusting in Braintree. Despite the roads being clear, although very wet, the traffic is crawling 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Nothing in Maidstone this morning but it's good to see winter having a go so early on Hope those of you who have it enjoy the scenery this morning!

Always the nature of snow even in less marginal events, some get a treat some don't - many o time where Maidstone gets snow and Herne Bay has nothing for example. 

Welcome to Winter ❄

Posted
48 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Looking at the reports what I said was largely correct. Most of the reports of any meaningful accumulations are coming from areas of higher ground across the region. Some reports to lower levels too though more of a slushy mix barring the odd spot where evaporative cooling/precip intensity made all the difference. For most though, nothing but rain or maybe a brief period of sleet/wet snow. 

Nope - wrong! 2cm of Snow in Ely this morning which is at sea level... it's not just falling on high ground, not at all. A lovely fluffy surprise for quite  a few around here this morning!  

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
50 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

What you said essentially suggested nada to even falling snow. A large swathe of Essex and Suffolk has had settling snow, many areas in Kent & East Sussex too has seen settling snow even on coast not remotely correct. 

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

What you said essentially suggested nada to even falling snow. A large swathe of Essex and Suffolk has had settling snow, many areas in Kent & East Sussex too has seen settling snow even on coast not remotely correct. 

Before you start getting mightier than thou as usual, just going to leave this here. You were expecting nothing to lower levels, so probably best you remember what you had actually forecasted.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 09.05.37.png

Edited by Met4Cast

Ok lets summerise -

Everyone + Every model was partially correct & of course partially wrong.

We all set the bar really low last night & in doing so lowers everyones expectations.

So a lot of pleasantly surprised people on here today.

A near miss up here but pleased for the other locations...

Lets move onto the next chase....

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Before you start getting mightier than thou as usual, just going to leave this here.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 09.05.37.png

I’m not just admit you were wrong? Why is that so difficult for you? I said it could surprise, but I said to not expect or you’d end up possibly very disappointed.

Sudbury Suffolk 30m

Mid Essex 50m

Colchester sea level 

Herne Bay sea level 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

After overnight rain, it is now snowing heavily here. At sea level, on the coast.

:cold-emoji:

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I’m not just admit you were wrong? Why is that so difficult for you? I said it could surprise, but I said to not expect or you’d end up possibly very disappointed.

Sudbury Suffolk 30m

https://twitter.com/bellabertie/status/1334742989160243201?s=21

Mid Essex 50m

https://twitter.com/damoknight/status/1334756794346971137?s=21

Colchester sea level 

https://twitter.com/bigbaldtone/status/1334769184383832066?s=21

Herne Bay sea level 

https://twitter.com/bellabertie/status/1334742989160243201?s=21

Yawn. 

Posted

Lets face it - it's been one of those 'no-one could see it coming' rare scenarios for sea level counties in EA... I'm honestly quite shocked we've got snow reports coming in from right on the coast in Suffolk to Lincolnshire. And not just a slushy deposit either - genuine laying snow. 

This is why we love the weather!! 

• Like 2

Posted

This is the first snows of winter - let’s not spoil it with bickering. It’s like parents arguing on Christmas Day. It ruins the experience. I’d recommend taking your disagreements to private message so the snow lovers can enjoy .... posts about snow. Thanks 

• Like 1