Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Who remembers 2009?2010? where SW London got 40cm of snow in about 6 hours in a similar scenario - METO stuck out a red warning! People stranded on M25 !

I'd love it to be correct, but I just don't believe it. Few CMs at height and slush below - it feels too mild. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Who remembers 2009?2010? where SW London got 40cm of snow in about 6 hours in a similar scenario - METO stuck out a red warning! People stranded on M25 !

I do remember it very well Steve! We were going to my parents in Haywards Heath and had stopped in Crawley for a bit of Christmas shopping... we were having lunch and saw the snow tanking down and decided to get going... it then took 2 hours to do the normal 30mn journey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

A lot of excitement on developments on Friday morning but realistically as has happened in the past areas with elevation around my neck of the woods(Locksbottom) like Knockholt Halstead Biggin hill and maybe Chelsfield could get a covering.I am 100m asl so may get some sleet or wet snow but those places I have mentioned could get a covering.Many a time over last 15-20 years when it has been wet where I live yet 3-5 miles away a winter wonderland has developed.Irrespective of what happens good just to see the possibility of snow falling so early in the winter and I think this could be an interesting and surprising winter this year.

Good luck to everyone in the SE THREAD that wish/hope for snow ❄️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

I do remember it very well Steve! We were going to my parents in Haywards Heath and had stopped in Crawley for a bit of Christmas shopping... we were having lunch and saw the snow tanking down and decided to get going... it then took 2 hours to do the normal 30mn journey

Cheers what year was it?

Posted
12 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Remember it well Steve - exact depth here was 38cms, got a good few days powder snowboarding out of it in farmers fields. Though '91 and '87 put that in the shade with a 1m depth.

Just hoping this winter is a lot snowier than last!

• Like 1

Posted

I like the ecm run but thinking the best may get is a covering over the downs at best, really think it will be sleety mix for most, hope I get surprised and we get a snow day Friday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Cheers what year was it?

I’m almost certain it 2010... our daughter was old enough to talk by that time.

The year before in 2009 I can remember 4ft icicles from the drain pipes at the school we teach at

Posted
19 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

If you're talking about 1st/2nd Feb 2009, surely the setup was quite different? 

It was a Thames streamer that dumped 30-40cm of snow over SW London and Surrey that night. I remember it well because I was living near Leatherhead at the time, which was pretty much bullseye for the streamer.

It was very cold (around -3C before and during the snowfall, at 70m asl), and the melt didn't set in for several days. 

• Like 2

^^ Hi no just found it 18 Dec 2010

We had much colder upper air then but the actual synoptics for the SE were very similar

- Very low heights

- Stationary air 

- A system in the channel gathering up a lot of moisture!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

We had much colder upper air then but the actual synoptics for the SE were very similar

- Very low heights

- Stationary air 

beat me to it Steve  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
37 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

I’m almost certain it 2010... our daughter was old enough to talk by that time.

The year before in 2009 I can remember 4ft icicles from the drain pipes at the school we teach at

Yep 2009 was the unexpected night time Thames streemer, another huge dumping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

Remember it well Steve - exact depth here was 38cms, got a good few days powder snowboarding out of it in farmers fields. Though '91 and '87 put that in the shade with a 1m depth.

Just hoping this winter is a lot snowier than last!

Where are you based - more Surrey based > what hills?

Raw ECM data

Heathrow 20cm

Biggin hill 19cm

Luton 14cm

Highest value High Wycombe 27cm !

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

- Very low heights

- Stationary air 

No I don’t think so I seem to recall this was a big flop? 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That forecast is for the Saturday before Christmas that year 2010, London done pretty well that day, about 10-12cms. The big flop you may be referring to was the first week in December, same year, when everywhere south of Croydon got hammered, Gatwick for example had about 30cm while London got absolutely zilch, well maybe a cm or two.

Feb 2009....that was the big one for London. 

Posted
58 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Where are you based - more Surrey based > what hills?

Raw ECM data

Heathrow 20cm

Biggin hill 19cm

Luton 14cm

Highest value High Wycombe 27cm !

I'm in New Ash Green Steve - my profile pic is of Hartley Bottom (Noel Edmonds' Crinkley Bottom is named after this), from the Ash side looking towards Ridley, a good spot if we get 15cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
58 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

That forecast is for the Saturday before Christmas that year 2010, London done pretty well that day, about 10-12cms. The big flop you may be referring to was the first week in December, same year, when everywhere south of Croydon got hammered, Gatwick for example had about 30cm while London got absolutely zilch, well maybe a cm or two.

There was one in 2010 as well, I remember it, cause it was a school day. Got a phone call to pick up my girls from the primary school, but there was no buses, so had to walk there and back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Evening all, hope everyone is well. Good to see some possible wintry excitement for the region! Will this winter be one to remember? I reckon so Chilly in Prague, too (-2°C currently) with chances of snow tomorrow (but then becoming milder).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
8 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Somewhere like the surrey downs would be good - Box hill ?

I lived on Box Hill as a kid in the 80s - can you imagine!!!??☃️☃️ It is now my go-to place to head when we have snow here, about 15mins away!x

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Remember it well, I had six inches on the day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Nope 18th December 2010 was a direct hit on the capital. Big dump of snow, remember it well. Kew Gardens dropped to -10c that night.

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Nope 18th December 2010 was a direct hit on the capital. Big dump of snow, remember it well. Kew Gardens dropped to -10c that night.

It must have been early in month then as Wimbledon said and that wasn’t the only disappointment that I remember. No Thames streamer in my part of SE London I was actually disappointed with the snow that month well with what it was looking  I know NW Kent did very well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
5 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Updated Euro 4 for Fri AM

C5270416-E394-4F98-AF60-53FE34CB0AAC.thumb.png.1c73b992c145edb3ccd1b4e30d651a42.png18414238-1EF8-46F6-9257-FC4199BFACBC.thumb.png.92f85b61ed5c746e9edc05c544e77d31.png

Theres a 15cm in there just SE of London

Fantastic as I'm in Sevenoaks Friday at that time❄☃️ do u only see rain/sleet by the Thames Steve? So many precip models showing snow here at around 12metres ASL I just dont want to get my Hope's up

Edited by Kentspur

5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Fantastic as I'm in Sevenoaks Froday at that time❄☃️ do u only see rain/sleet by the Thames Steve? So many precip models showing snow here at around 12metres ASL I just dont want to get my Hope's up

Well lets assume the track is ECMish then its very very marginal at sea level espexially close to the thames & London > on the heavy PPN could save it !

• Thanks 2