Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Night time temperature record for Nov under threat tonight. Sign of the times given that synoptically I wouldn't say the set up at present is anything that rare or unusual. Its getting easier every year to break the 'high' temperature records.

• Like 2

Posted

Dug over my allotment over today - first time I've ever dug over in November in  jeans and a t-shirt! Usually have about 3 layers on, ridiculously mild. Very pleasant being outside this afternoon despite the lack of sunshine.  I put the winter duvet on last week, I'm going to really regret that tonight, it's bedtime and it's 15.5.c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Exceptionally mild overnight for November, with a minimum temp of 17C here. As I write this at 06.15 and with it still dark outside the temp is reading 18C. Very windy too, with frequent gusts hitting mid 40's mph.

1370094948_HadleighOvernightTemp02Nov.thumb.jpg.346eba1bfd8c400af0f860fdd51c99fd.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming settled spell of weather as high pressure moves over the UK. A few morning's of crisp, frosty starts will be lovely. It'll certainly feel different to this morning. Here's the Arpege model forecasts for Wed, Thur and Fri at 07.00 with each morning gradually getting colder indicating ground frosts on Weds may well turn into air frosts for some by Friday morning:

1301184520_ArpegeTemp07.00Wed04Nov.thumb.png.7aa9a499bedb9a97fc3b96f63b2114b1.png108745647_ArpegeTemp07.00Thur05Nov.thumb.png.c2a5ec5540e02d8392aac20b7fb05d4b.png2060553183_ArpegeTemp07.00Fri06Nov.thumb.png.57268d2beb0999fef34ab22084d2a41b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, laddie said:

Just got caught out by the radar malfunction had a quick look seemed all clear 5 minutes later torrential downpour got me

That was bad luck laddie. You got hit by the mini squall line passing through the Region:

10.05 1483271621_Radar02Nov10_05.thumb.jpg.459b5590236d85975112be9d70edbf8d.jpg

Edit: Which also demarks the boundary between the very mild overnight air mass and the fresher air pushing in behind. The temp here has fallen from 18C at 06.15 to 14.8C now (10.25) the rain band has cleared my location. Arpege 850hPa shows the temp change up at around 1,500M:

11.00 53503332_Arpege850hPatemp02Nov11_00.thumb.png.40349e299975f9ebe2bc05eb09f2b538.png

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

What was the highest wind/gust reading during the early hours? We lost power, and trees came down! :D

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Neilsouth said:

What was the highest wind/gust reading during the early hours? We lost power, and trees came down!

Thanks

I have a high of 62mph at just after five on mine. Not sure about Langdon Bay. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

omg it's the sun, the sun has finally fully came out after these couple of dreadful days 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A rather unseasonable 19°C here in Prague currently Even saw the sun appear for about 20 seconds earlier but back to grey grot now with a gusty SW’ly wind. 

Still no taste and smell for me, but otherwise feeling reasonably human. Hope you are all keeping well and aren’t too worried about the coming lockdown.

• Like 2

Posted

That was a LOOONG night of warm temperatures and incredibly strong winds rattling their way through the plastic over next door's scaffolding and ripping it up. And then that squally shower coming back from the college run this morning soaking cyclists and pedestrians for a short sharp five minutes. As with others I am tired of this grey, wet, windy listless weather and am looking forward to more attractive autumn weather arriving, ie frosts under clear blue skies, please

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 3

Posted

Max wind gusts in the East overnight and up to midday (from official weather stations):

58mph Weybourne
51mph Wattisham
49mph Andrewsfield + Marham
48mph Bedford, Stansted + Wittering
47mph Tibenham
46mph Norwich
45mph Lakenheath, Monks Wood + Southend
40mph Mildenhall

Data courtesy of Weatherquest. Twitter @danholley_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Thanks guys, felt worse than that!

Posted

Warmest November night I ever recorded a min of 16.0C between 2100 and 0900 seriously warm felt like a July night very humid - thankfully now it’s 7.6C and much fresher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

I have to run with my kid to school with him on his bike yesterday so got caught with the double whammy of looking stupidly at the BBC forecast and the radar playing up. Luckily put his waterproof on last minute as we got caught by that bloody squall line too. 

Can’t believe it’s raining today too, no chance of a nice clean trough pushing through either..bits hanging right down to the south coast so bound to get wet again this morning. God I detest Atlantic weather, can’t wait for tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

October 2020 - these charts about sum it up! dreadful. South East had an average of 174mm of rain and an average of 50-70% of sunshine.

image.png

image-2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Who else thinks the BBC's 'app' forecasts are poo? For the umpteenth time, their forecast (for yesterday) of 'light rain showers' manifested as three or four impressive downpours... The rain was so intense that it even brought some sleet down with it. How do I know it was sleet, and not bog-standard hail? Because hail never falls as 'platelets' -- and the inside of a polytunnel is the #1 observation point!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

October 2020 - these charts about sum it up! dreadful. South East had an average of 174mm of rain and an average of 50-70% of sunshine.

image.png

image-2.png

Grim! But interesting, in some ways. Hopefully a little sunnier and drier in November

• Like 2