Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
25 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Bingo, imagine if this October was during a bitterly cold January, it would have been snowiest period ever. 

If only!...can't help thinking though the March/April and October periods you get some strange synoptics when the 'usual' weather patterns change i.e. from Atlantic driven ( to change in March) or from largely settled and dry (to change in October) and then going back to default, let's hope this winter bucks the trend.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, thunderpants said:

Not sure about that Daniel*, 1963 springs to mind, my inlaws got married in Feb 63 and was filmed in 8mm film showing huge snow drifts around the village and church, i know most of the snow fell on boxing day but lasted for some into march, also 47 was epic. 

Oh I’m sure about that, we had a ‘channel low’ to begin October in 48 hour period the 2nd and 3rd I had 65.9mm then on 4th I had a further 23.4mm that made it 89.3mm in 3 days alone.

Unprecedented amount of rain in a short space of time here, the Estuary was enhancing the rain rates here the ultimate dream in winter.

96D1C063-D8E0-47A6-B919-F901077B0688.thumb.png.e1d2d0357cdc4aa616d854d1f5684e8b.png15E1E91D-9F70-4965-8C96-DA3E9B4D1421.thumb.png.26b1abdd6a5fc334d4790c5d454f44f0.png

• Like 2

Posted

Back on the “if only it was Dec-Feb time” theme again - nice Channel streamer set up now, with showers running in from the southern North Sea and also plenty of hefty showers packing into East Anglia.

I have everything crossed we can see this replicated over winter with some nice cold uppers coming in from the continent!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms
8 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Oh I’m sure about that, we had a ‘channel low’ to begin October in 48 hour period the 2nd and 3rd I had 65.9mm then on 4th I had a further 23.4mm that made it 89.3mm in 3 days alone.

Unprecedented amount of rain in a short space of time here, the Estuary was enhancing the rain rates here the ultimate dream in winter.

96D1C063-D8E0-47A6-B919-F901077B0688.thumb.png.e1d2d0357cdc4aa616d854d1f5684e8b.png15E1E91D-9F70-4965-8C96-DA3E9B4D1421.thumb.png.26b1abdd6a5fc334d4790c5d454f44f0.png

Hi Daniel*, that would be an impressive ammount which equates to around 30 inches going by 1 inch of rain = 10 inches of snow not including drifts, this would probably have been a more localized event in for our region unlike 63 which was more widespread, infact the chart you show is not that far off the mets 3rd of feb 1947 chart, so you,re right if only it was mid winter, mind you the following melt/flooding would be a big problem.!!

• Like 1

Posted

Another day of forecast sunny spells, turns into actually meaning, long heavy showers all day. Really fed up of rain now, can’t get anything done in the 5 minutes between the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

looks like the south east have told scotland that they can have a break from the rain and we'll have theirs for the period 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A few showers earlier but now it is fairly sunny here. Still pretty chilly though.

Posted

Dear weather god's can we have the wash streamers in winter please, several heavy showers today just annoying can't get on with jobs down our field lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Just had a lovely walk around Ashridge and then up to Little Gaddesden church, trees now turning colour fast, we had some fast moving showers in a brisk wind but enjoyable none the less, temp around 10.c. 

Posted
On 14/10/2020 at 17:13, Daniel* said:

Bingo, imagine if this October was during a bitterly cold January, it would have been snowiest period ever. 

I've been thinking the same recently, these synoptics we're seeing right now hardly ever happen in winter anymore, I remember seeing similar ones in summer months over the years but never between Dec - Mar 

• Like 1

Posted

This month can get lost, watched forecast and showed sunnier spells the reality cloud and more cloud. Damn you North Sea! 

C547C988-3E48-4260-A871-4664487B48EB.thumb.png.39578c7ddad81ad93c2d953cd62af129.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It is at least dry. Otherwise dull and chilly.

Typically upon posting it has started to rain.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The present weather summed up nicely by the Captain - dull and chilly. If I may, I'll add 'boring' to the description as well. But at least these little chaps are enjoying the conditions:

309018608_Funghi17Oct.thumb.jpg.f9c5f1fd0a27a0ddbfac96813c931234.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

The present weather summed up nicely by the Captain - dull and chilly. If I may, I'll add 'boring' to the description as well. But at least these little chaps are enjoying the conditions:

309018608_Funghi17Oct.thumb.jpg.f9c5f1fd0a27a0ddbfac96813c931234.jpg

Good crop of magic mushrooms this year Blessed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
Just now, thunderpants said:

Good crop of magic mushrooms this year Blessed.

Ha ha! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/10/2020 at 07:54, thunderpants said:

Hi Daniel*, that would be an impressive ammount which equates to around 30 inches going by 1 inch of rain = 10 inches of snow not including drifts, this would probably have been a more localized event in for our region unlike 63 which was more widespread, infact the chart you show is not that far off the mets 3rd of feb 1947 chart, so you,re right if only it was mid winter, mind you the following melt/flooding would be a big problem.!!

I was meaning to reply but it certainly wasn’t localised. October 3rd become wettest day on record in U.K. with an average rainfall of 31.7mm.

• Like 3

Posted

Apart from some annoying drizzle in the afternoon, yesterday wasn’t a bad day, mild and some sunny spells particularly in the morning. Today has started well, sun is trying to get through the cloud, it’s a mild and useable day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

A nice pleasant benign morning with a little brightness and no wind.whilst walking the dog in the local woods it struck me this year the abundance of acorns this year.We have lived here 8 years and I have never seem so many ever!!Is it a precursor to a cold winter or a load of tosh?If it does turn out to be a colder than average winter then maybe we could add the Acorn Index to the list of things we look at in the search of cold winters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another cloudy day, though in fairness the last couple of days are probably better than of the same pattern came about in mid-winter. There is a little sunshine breaking through at times.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

A nice pleasant benign morning with a little brightness and no wind.whilst walking the dog in the local woods it struck me this year the abundance of acorns this year.We have lived here 8 years and I have never seem so many ever!!Is it a precursor to a cold winter or a load of tosh?If it does turn out to be a colder than average winter then maybe we could add the Acorn Index to the list of things we look at in the search of cold winters

not sure if the Acorn Index has a bearing on things, but i have noticed this has been another year where there were no crane fly's toward the end july start of september. this might be the third year running i have not seen any crane fly's at all here in london/se

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

not sure if the Acorn Index has a bearing on things, but i have noticed this has been another year where there were no crane fly's toward the end july start of september. this might be the third year running i have not seen any crane fly's at all here in london/se

They all moved to Sussex. There were billions of the damned things here.

Posted

since my dog went to sleep last month i don't get out as much as i used to. but there is still a feel that the autumn has started about on time this year. by that i mean not too early. so maybe we will be aligned with the next two seasons better this year.

Posted
1 minute ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

i always remember going back to school after summer hols and they were around for a few weeks, it sort of was an indicator for autumn to settle in. odd they are not around so much now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, MAF said:

Had a daddy long legs in my house this year, kids running around shouting flying spider. They are still about, but I do agree, must be much fewer in numbers. I'm not sure I even remember our last flying spider incident, before this one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

and here...my puppy has been eating half of them on his walk!