Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2020 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Looking like a washout miserable day here in the east. Been chucking it down for hours and looks like it’s going nowhere, just swirling round the east coast all day. Winds slowly picking up, but not near the 60mph predicted.....yet.

Posted

@stainesbloke Sending best wishes, hope you feel back to normal soon.  Sounds like you've got a good garlic and suppliments routine going so hopefully it won't be long!

Was cold last night - winter duvet time I think. The gritters are having a testing /training session in Bucks today! Not looking forward to autumn as much as usual, I think any possible lockdown plus dark evening might be quite depressing. As you may have seen on social media, Halloween is going to be a window-dressing thing this year and I'm already planning it with all my  nieces, so that's keeping my autumn spirits up! Harvesting my pumpkins tomorrow.

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Started of clear then the rain moved in and it was icy cold rain too, back to mostly clear skies again, chilly with the temp here at the moment 6.8c with a moderate breeze. Looks like norfolk and suffolk are taking a bit of a bashing, if it was jan/feb with that set up it could have been quite a snow event.!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A pretty wild day on the cards for the Norfolk and Suffolk coastal strip today. Latest observations from Meteociel (10.50) shows a 91km (56mph) gust on the North Norfolk coast:

1329040574_WindGustsUK25Sept10_50.thumb.png.135e81911256b54c9567166ebed7904b.png

Source: http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/vent-rafales.php?region=uk

This morning's Arpege run suggesting the peak will be around 17.00 - 18.00 this afternoon with the possibility of a 130km (80mph) gust anywhere down the East Anglian coast:

1306658692_ArpegeGusts25Sept18_00.thumb.png.f22e06415e6faac5ab455f86c30bfaf3.png

Source: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=10&mode=11&map=330

I'm approx 20 miles inland from the Suffolk coast and have had a gust of 38mph so far this morning, with the graph line (wind strength) steadily rising. And so far 7.4mm of rain:

1020223243_Windgusts25Sept20.thumb.jpg.53b5b3594ae3525f8353826c486c6fbc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Still heavy rain, with no end in sight, windy too. Flooded roads and I dread to think how the fields are faring, and as I’m typing, powers gone out

Edit. Power being going on and off for an hour now!

Edited by Blazerblue

Posted

And it’s still raining, no idea what totals we’ve reached today, but I had an empty bucket in the garden and it’s now overflowing, as well as local power cuts and flooding, we’ve had a few trees go down to due to the wind. Autumn has definitely arrived. Had to put the heating on this evening just to take the chill off, :cold:

Edited by Blazerblue
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

What strange weather. Had very loud thunder last night around 11.30. 3 loud bangs overhead then nothing. Some showery rain after which was heavy. Must be very local as the stars were still visible.

• Like 1

Posted

During winter I would be praying this is a Cheshire Gap streamer❄️ Very windy and quite cold leaving the plastic over next door's scaffolding blowing noisily, but the rain only fell overnight. 

Screenshot_20200925_215239_com.netweather.stormradar.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Really did feel like autumn today that cold north wind cut right through. Impressive strong winds today, and 90mm of rain on an EA rain gauge in north Norfolk, guess I’m not only one thinking what if!! 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Hope you are all well and Virus free, and that STAINESBLOKE is recovering from his bout of Covid-19.

I'm convinced myself and my Wife contracted CV, back in Late Feb/Early March.

I had to visit my G.P. Practice around the 3rd Week in February and was surrounded by Patients who were Coughing and spluttering, everywhere. One Woman, who was stood behind me while I ordered a repeat prescription, was especially "rough" sounding, so much so that my Wife had to pull me away, so as not to be in the "firing line.

About a Week later, I developed a sore throat, high temperature and dry, hacking cough (unusual for me).

By the first Friday in March, I was feeling particularly ill.

So concerned was my Wife, that she returned home early that Morning, to insist that I phone my G.P.

It was at the time when G.P. Practices were no longer accepting visitors, to their Surgeries.

I received a telephone consultation from a G.P, but after going through a checklist of CV symptoms, couldn't be sure if I had the Virus or not but felt from my symptoms, that I was heading for a chest infection, as my cough was starting to become productive with a "suspicious" colour!!

Fortunately, this quick acting Doctor faxed a prescription for Antibiotics to our local Pharmacist.

As my very medically "clued up" Wife with explained, Antibiotics won't kill the Coronavirus but will deal with the resultant "debris" created by the battle between your Immune System and the Virus.

After a 7 Day Course of Amoxicillin, my cough and accompanying "debris", disappeared.

My Wife, became ill a little after me in mid-March and had more of the classic CV symptoms, than myself.

Severe, recurrent headache, profuse sweating and shortness of breath and then lost her sense of taste and smell.

She last worked in her role of a Senior Carer/Team Leader in a Residential Care Home, on the Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border, back in mid-March.

She suffer from a serious Autoimmune Disease and Diabetes, and also has BAME blood in her veins, she had an Indian Grandmother, on her Father's side.

Because of her Autoimmune condition, her G.P. has signed her off Work, since mid-March.

If my Wife contracted CV, it would more than likely have severe consequences for her. Her Immune System would go into overdrive, resulting in a Cytokine Storm (a potentially fatal immune reaction).

When my Wife informed her Care Home Manageress that she would be wearing a face mask for the foreseeable future, she was told, "we don't do that here Colette, it will frighten the Residents." What crass stupidity!!

Another member of Staff told my Wife, we won't be affected here we're in a bubble.

I said to my Wife at the time, this was a "Car Crash" waiting to happen in Care Homes, and sadly that has come to pass.

During her last shift, back in mid-March, my Wife gave "Personal Care" to a Resident who was developing a nasty cough. A few hours later, a Paramedic in full "Hazmat Suit" took this Gentleman off to a local Hospital.

A Week later, my Wife learned that he had died from Pneumonia, as have a few other Residents during the Pandemic.

I'm really glad that my Wife won't be returning to this line of Work now. It's a great shame, as she was very much devoted to her Work, and is greatly missed there. But in her own words, it was like working in Petri Dish full of Virus, environment. During last Winter, she caught 2 bouts of the Norovirus (Winter Stomach Bug).

I've been very concerned about her well-being, this Week.

On Monday, she woke up with some Covid type symptoms but up until this Morning, havn't developed into anything worse.

Both myself and my Wife, have had some "faux cold" (that phrase makes a comeback!!) type symptoms, since that nasty Virus, back in March. A Day or so of an itchy nose and tickly throat, which doesn't develop into anything. More recently, we've both had another symptom that's been added to the ever growing list of CV symptoms. Small, fluid filled blisters. I had a particularly noticeable one on my leg, which I thought may have been, an insect bite.

A while after my Virus disappeared in mid-March, for quite a few Weeks I would awake with a very bitter taste in my mouth, something I referred to as "metallic mouth", at the time. But that eventually disappeared.

Now some Weather related "stuff."

My POV won't be popular on some parts of the Forum but I'm so pleased to see the liberating "Armies" of Autumnal yellows, greens and blues appearing on the Synoptic Charts now, banishing the vestiges of deep orange and red, Summer infidels, ever Southward. Just the occasional dregs of warmer upper air, wandering around close by, like some lost Japanese Soldier cut adrift from his Platoon, in a Far East jungle after the end of hostilities in the 2nd World War.

And crikey, take a look at these Dew Points:

image.thumb.png.5198b2551ae24575259fc7dd5bf889f6.png

Well down in single figures, for the first time in Months!!

Although this Summer hasn't been as hot overall as the last 2, the early August heatwave was very uncomfortable here, in my part of S.E. London.

But as the old adage goes, "One man's meat, is another man's poison."

I certainly feel that I've been "poisoned" at times, during the last 3 Summers.

But don't worry too much if those heat lovers, find this sudden drop in temperature too much of a shock. The Polish "Beatnik"on this video clip below, suggests it will be turning milder next Week, although more unsettled:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/54296317

No offence Mr. Shafernaker and at least you've got hair, to become unkempt.

Tomasz, has become a bit of a Forecasting legend in my book, has brought a bit of colour to TV Forecasts and has a great Christian name, to boot.

Hope you all have a nice Weekend, whatever your Weather preference may be.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3

Posted

What a mad 24 hours with rain for most it and the wind...in three years of living here the garden furniture has never been strewn so far in the garden. Local news is reporting over 200 trees down across the country (Norfolk). Rain is continuing to fall this morning but at least the wind is easing. Roll on summer!

• Like 1

Posted

Looking like another wet miserable day, still chilly with that blustery wind. I think the lack of rain over the summer has been made up for in the last 24 hours. Time for frosty sunny days please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Hope you are all well and Virus free, and that STAINESBLOKE is recovering from his bout of Covid-19.

I'm convinced myself and my Wife contracted CV, back in Late Feb/Early March.

I had to visit my G.P. Practice around the 3rd Week in February and was surrounded by Patients who were Coughing and spluttering, everywhere. One Woman, who was stood behind me while I ordered a repeat prescription, was especially "rough" sounding, so much so that my Wife had to pull me away, so as not to be in the "firing line.

About a Week later, I developed a sore throat, high temperature and dry, hacking cough (unusual for me).

By the first Friday in March, I was feeling particularly ill.

So concerned was my Wife, that she returned home early that Morning, to insist that I phone my G.P.

It was at the time when G.P. Practices were no longer accepting visitors, to their Surgeries.

I received a telephone consultation from a G.P, but after going through a checklist of CV symptoms, couldn't be sure if I had the Virus or not but felt from my symptoms, that I was heading for a chest infection, as my cough was starting to become productive with a "suspicious" colour!!

Fortunately, this quick acting Doctor faxed a prescription for Antibiotics to our local Pharmacist.

As my very medically "clued up" Wife with explained, Antibiotics won't kill the Coronavirus but will deal with the resultant "debris" created by the battle between your Immune System and the Virus.

After a 7 Day Course of Amoxicillin, my cough and accompanying "debris", disappeared.

My Wife, became ill a little after me in mid-March and had more of the classic CV symptoms, than myself.

Severe, recurrent headache, profuse sweating and shortness of breath and then lost her sense of taste and smell.

She last worked in her role of a Senior Carer/Team Leader in a Residential Care Home, on the Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border, back in mid-March.

She suffer from a serious Autoimmune Disease and Diabetes, and also has BAME blood in her veins, she had an Indian Grandmother, on her Father's side.

Because of her Autoimmune condition, her G.P. has signed her off Work, since mid-March.

If my Wife contracted CV, it would more than likely have severe consequences for her. Her Immune System would go into overdrive, resulting in a Cytokine Storm (a potentially fatal immune reaction).

When my Wife informed her Care Home Manageress that she would be wearing a face mask for the foreseeable future, she was told, "we don't do that here Colette, it will frighten the Residents." What crass stupidity!!

Another member of Staff told my Wife, we won't be affected here we're in a bubble.

I said to my Wife at the time, this was a "Car Crash" waiting to happen in Care Homes, and sadly that has come to pass.

During her last shift, back in mid-March, my Wife gave "Personal Care" to a Resident who was developing a nasty cough. A few hours later, a Paramedic in full "Hazmat Suit" took this Gentleman off to a local Hospital.

A Week later, my Wife learned that he had died from Pneumonia, as have a few other Residents during the Pandemic.

I'm really glad that my Wife won't be returning to this line of Work now. It's a great shame, as she was very much devoted to her Work, and is greatly missed there. But in her own words, it was like working in Petri Dish full of Virus, environment. During last Winter, she caught 2 bouts of the Norovirus (Winter Stomach Bug).

I've been very concerned about her well-being, this Week.

On Monday, she woke up with some Covid type symptoms but up until this Morning, havn't developed into anything worse.

Both myself and my Wife, have had some "faux cold" (that phrase makes a comeback!!) type symptoms, since that nasty Virus, back in March. A Day or so of an itchy nose and tickly throat, which doesn't develop into anything. More recently, we've both had another symptom that's been added to the ever growing list of CV symptoms. Small, fluid filled blisters. I had a particularly noticeable one on my leg, which I thought may have been, an insect bite.

A while after my Virus disappeared in mid-March, for quite a few Weeks I would awake with a very bitter taste in my mouth, something I referred to as "metallic mouth", at the time. But that eventually disappeared.

Now some Weather related "stuff."

My POV won't be popular on some parts of the Forum but I'm so pleased to see the liberating "Armies" of Autumnal yellows, greens and blues appearing on the Synoptic Charts now, banishing the vestiges of deep orange and red, Summer infidels, ever Southward. Just the occasional dregs of warmer upper air, wandering around close by, like some lost Japanese Soldier cut adrift from his Platoon, in a Far East jungle after the end of hostilities in the 2nd World War.

And crikey, take a look at these Dew Points:

image.thumb.png.5198b2551ae24575259fc7dd5bf889f6.png

Well down in single figures, for the first time in Months!!

Although this Summer hasn't been as hot overall as the last 2, the early August heatwave was very uncomfortable here, in my part of S.E. London.

But as the old adage goes, "One man's meat, is another man's poison."

I certainly feel that I've been "poisoned" at times, during the last 3 Summers.

But don't worry too much if those heat lovers, find this sudden drop in temperature too much of a shock. The Polish "Beatnik"on this video clip below, suggests it will be turning milder next Week, although more unsettled:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/54296317

No offence Mr. Shafernaker and at least you've got hair, to become unkempt.

Tomasz, has become a bit of a Forecasting legend in my book, has brought a bit of colour to TV Forecasts and has a great Christian name, to boot.

Hope you all have a nice Weekend, whatever your Weather preference may be.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

For one who wants to know the proper pronunciation sz = sh

I know what you mean with the faux cold stuff, had it right through summer and now on and off. Don't know if it's just my age now, I do hope it's nothing to do with the hang on of a virus though.. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Sunny intervals and breezy here with temps struggling at 11.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Quite some spell of weather here in EA and the SE, particularly for coastal areas. Some facts and figures for the East (with thanks to Dan Holley, Weatherquest):

Wind
Highest gust at 67mph was at Weybourne on Friday 25th, which is the strongest September gust in the region since 1997, and the (joint) strongest September gust in the past 40 years.

403286717_EastMaxGust25-26Sept.thumb.jpg.3dc58737eee7615b7e0df55b059741f7.jpg

The strength of the wind causing some spectacular scenes:

‘Massive clean up’ as cars and streets covered by blizzard of sand in village after high winds
Residents have been left shovelling away “tons” of sand from their homes, cars and streets after 70mph winds battered the north Norfolk coast. People in Walcott and Bacton woke up on Saturday morning to piles of sand covering their whole village.

9011819_NorfolkGalesBacton26Sept.thumb.jpg.3fff8f8651ac21377480a66a72e07364.jpg

Source: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/cars-and-streets-consumed-by-sand-in-walcott-and-bacton-after-high-winds-1-6857085

Cold
Friday the coldest September day...
- on record at Weybourne (1986), Houghton Hall (2001) + Tibenham (2015)
- for over 40 years at Charsfield - since 1987 at Cromer
- since 1993 at Cavendish, Marham, Santon Downham + Wattisham

Rainfall
24hr rain accumulations to 19:00 Friday. Widely 50-70mm has fallen across much of Norfolk into NE Suffolk. An Environment Agency rain gauge near North Walsham has recorded 90mm. With further rain overnight and today, another 20-30mm is possible in the prone areas.

2001849221_East24hrraintotals26Sept.thumb.jpg.64658aea1a242821d88b2a6eef6ce68c.jpg

Source facts/figures/charts: Weatherquest Twitter @danholley_

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

For one who wants to know the proper pronunciation sz = sh

I know what you mean with the faux cold stuff, had it right through summer and now on and off. Don't know if it's just my age now, I do hope it's nothing to do with the hang on of a virus though.. 

One was meant to be anyone. 

Cloudy here but not really all that windy, wasn't yesterday either here. Very light rain occasionally, and chilly. 

Posted

Temps have dropped here from a high of 11.3c to 10.3c in a little over an hour, more cloud clover than earlier though with some light rain.

Edited by thunderpants

Posted

Hit the dizzy heights of 11.3c today. i must admit when i took the dog for a walk this morning the 5.2c and strong wind made it perishingly cold, however in a few places, in the sunshine and out of the wind, it was quite pleseant.

• Like 1

Posted

A November’s day today it was nice and bright in morning but I was inside, but with cloud rolling in and cold drizzle it wouldn’t have been out of place in winter. How far we have fallen again! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Went to Portsmouth mid morning and left mid afternoon... very chilly in the wind, but beautifully clear skies and warm in the sun, lovely lunch watching the boats from Gunwharf Quays... once we came over the downs on the way home became very dull. By the time we got back to the Surrey Hills and stopped at The Parrot in Forest Green for a pint there was the odd spot of rain...

Edited by John Stevens