Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Ground and Air Frost 2020-2021 season

Posted

A thread I often introduce each year, sometimes well into September, but this year with a cold night forecast tomorrow, it's the right time to start it.

Expecting mins to drop below freezing tomorrow night in sheltered Highland glens. Chance Redesdale or Shap may also get close to freezing.

Use this thread to record your first ground and air frosts of the new season.

On average we see our first ground frosts temp between 0 and 3 degrees sometime around 3rd week September and our first air frost by 3rd week October. On occasion our first air frost occurs in September.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Can't see temps dropping that low here tomorrow night - looks like there could still be enough of a breeze to scupper things. Sunday night though might be more promising with no wind & if skies are clear. The air mass should still be cool enough to drop temps into the low single digits here giving at least a ground frost.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

My first frost is 22nd November on average. I will go with 15th Nov.

Posted

"A Met Office forecaster said: “A cool northerly flow means increasingly chilly nights. Frost is possible for rural areas in Scotland."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12529642/uk-weather-coldest-august-bank-holiday-polar-plunge-frost/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I remember September 1986 having many frosty starts and i believe there hasnt been a cooler September since.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had a few ground frosts during sept 2018. Ground frosts at my location in sept are fairly rare. 

Posted
4 hours ago, reef said:

4.3C here with a slight grass frost. Never seen one so early.

Quite a few spots saw a grass frost Sunday morning and this morning, not to unusual in sheltered frost prone spots in late August, but more so outside of such places.

Last time I remember a notable early air frost was about 23 Sept 2012, -3 degrees and frost still on ground at half 10. 2012 brought quite a bit of autumnal frost. 2008, 2010, 2012 all good autumns for cold frosty weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

0.6C in North Yorkshire, 0.2C in Scotland and 0.1C in Northern Ireland last night.

Https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12541541/brits-chilliest-bank-holidays-ever-temperatures-zero/

Countryfile weekly weather forecast indicated a subzero temperature in Northern Ireland the previous night, if I heard correctly. I was not really paying attention. I read somewhere the last August frost was Aug 24th 2014 at Katesbridge?

Edited by Aleman
  • Thanks 1

Posted

we had a low here of 2.8 c last night in East Yorkshire. ( and a few of my mates in North Yorkshire recorded lower with actual grass frosts e.g Vizzy at Kirkam Priory) 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

we had a low here of 2.8 c last night in East Yorkshire. ( and a few of my mates in North Yorkshire recorded lower with actual grass frosts e.g Vizzy at Kirkam Priory) 

It was almost certainly the coldest August night in East Yorkshire for many years. The 4.3C minimum here was a full degree below the previous August record of 5.3C set in 1999. Thats in 40 years of records and 7 miles from the coast.

• Like 4

Posted

2c here this morning and we're not a particularly frosty spot. Coldest August temperature I can ever remember, would be interesting to see what the frost hollows recorded.

I've known many winter months not record a temperature this low, surprised the media not making more of record breaking cold in some places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Egu_27FXcAIXJ54?format=jpg&name=large

courtesy of Vizzy.

Thanks James.

Whilst it doesnt beat August 2018 where Goathland fell to 0.1c it was a fairly impressive widespread rural summer frost.

It fell to 2.5c here beating my previous August minimum of 3.4c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The August lowest minimum is -4.5,Laggalia,21 Aug 1973

-3.4 was also recorded in 1986,20th Aug at Kimbrace.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Resurrecting this thread as I often do throughout September and more especially October when there is a hint of freezing nights on the cards. Current forecast suggesting low single digit mins Friday night, possibly Saturday night, a few days off, but good chance a few spots will record their first ground if not air frost of the season.

I'll be keeping a watching brief as the week wears on.

Posted
29 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Resurrecting this thread as I often do throughout September and more especially October when there is a hint of freezing nights on the cards. Current forecast suggesting low single digit mins Friday night, possibly Saturday night, a few days off, but good chance a few spots will record their first ground if not air frost of the season.

I'll be keeping a watching brief as the week wears on.

Forecast mins for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. ECM lacks resolution misses out on cold spots looks likely most of U.K. will see a grass frost maybe a more widespread air frost Sunday morning in far north.

9542B9C6-801B-4876-8D00-7F56C9AD8769.thumb.png.65edac63ca28e3d0d2ef566b7f1117d9.png77FF474D-6ADB-4B58-85D3-0870117F8593.thumb.png.36203a680f6a7e0283621d348ce8000b.pngE0056CF8-3102-4B4B-BC52-44E6B2B119B3.thumb.png.dcad3db0376d1ca2a07195dd2807760e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Had my first Air frost back 3rd week in August..but not had one since..which is pretty unusual for my location

Posted

Keeping an eye, perhaps too much wind around Fri night for any widespread frost. Saturday night looking best bet as a ridge develops and winds fall light under the polar air mass.

• Like 1